“unique food selections”
Review of Butcher & The Boar

Butcher & The Boar
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Minnesota
“unique food selections”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

bar specializes in bourbons and beers with bartenders and cicerone that know what they are talking about; appetizers great for sharing and entrees offer great range of options all done very well

Visited November 2013
1 Thank kaileydad

Alachua, FL
“The Flatiron Steak Saved It!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I went to Butcher & The Boar with a couple of business associates one of whom lives nearby and recommended the place. It's a "nice" restaurant - clean and comfortable. The service was very good.

We started out with one of the sampler plates and the "green chorizo". I like chorizo but I prefer mine to be red. It's not that the green chorizo was bad; it wasn't. But it really didn't do anything for me at all. And twelve dollars for one link (which we split three ways) seems pretty steep to me. The sampler plate (I forget what it was called - the restaurant's web site will not open the link to their menus) was disappointing. It included several thin slices of "wild boar ham" (which was pretty good), head cheese (I passed), and some sort of liverwurst (reminded me why I hated it as a kid). Bottom line: I/we ordered the wrong things. And cheap it is not.

One of my co-diners mentioned that he was still hungry; so was I. He and I both ordered the flatiron steak. I'm glad we did. It is a prime cut and the steak was outstanding. Had it not been for the steak, I would probably be leaving a 2-star review. But the steak was superb.

So skip the green chorizo and the sampler platter with the braunschweiger and head cheese. Go straight for the steak and you'll do fine.

Duluth, Minnesota
“OH MY GOSH. If you are in the Twin Cities, you MUST eat here.”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Make sure to make a reservation because they are so full. We tried the beer garden while we were down there as well, which is their outdoor space that opens earlier than the inside restaurant. They have more pub fare at the beer garden, but it is like the best pub fare you will ever have. Try the smoked olives, you will not be disappointed. The foot long hot dog was pretty Dynamite as well!

But for the inside restaurant just order as much as you can afford, because every bite is like a compete explosion to your taste buds. I'm talking about the best explosion you've ever experienced. Just do it!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Whitney L
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“another great meal”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We returned to the Butcher and the Boar with friends and had a pleasant evening on the outside deck. The service was good and the server knew the menu well. The wild boar sausage appetizer was spicy, tasty and a good choice. As with last time we split the smoked rib-- a giant. Our friends did also and all 4 of us enjoyed the meal. Sides were mashed potatoes and blackened cauliflower which were also good. No problem going back again.

Goodyear, Arizona
“Service good, but the rest falls short”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Well, contrary to the glowing reviews that lured me to this eatery, my dining experience fell short of expectations. The venue is OK, just an average open-kitchen design. The service was quick and able. But the menu was a little strange, and somewhat limited. The food, pretty average to poor. Kind of like someone graduated from cooking school and wanted to bring "Southern style" to the north. But mixing Tabasco with butter, or otherwise using it as a dominate ingredient in the recipes of many dishes is pretty lame. Add that to the run-of-the mill quality of the cuts of beef, fish, and sides (aka discount grocery store grade) and you have a less than stellar dining experience. Been there, tried that, time to move on.

1 Thank TheNoFearFoodie