“Haute cuisine with a midwestern sensibility”
Review of Butcher & The Boar

Butcher & The Boar
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,855 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Description: Butcher & the Boar opened in 2012 in Minneapolis, MN, with a simple idea. Create a festive and communal dining experience with American craft food, beer and bourbon. We are a steak and smoked meats house. We believe that top notch ingredients sourced from local farms and premium purveyors and prepared with superior culinary technique is the secret to great food.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Lives up to the hype of its James Beard accolades. Knowledgable but understated waitstaff, inventive and delicious menu, unpretentious dining room. You will be eating well regardless of your choice on this menu.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Another great dinner. Seating was a little off as they tried to give us a small table near the entrance in dark almost forgotten corner off the bar which should be only used for bar or waiting seating. The host graciously handled our request for a table in the main dining room. Until they change their practice, remember to state your request for seating when making a reservation.

Food and service are the stars but having a great Hennepin Avenue Manhattan standing outside by the outdoor fire during our short wait for a table on a late December night was pretty fantastic as well.

Very happy with the interesting and tasty sampler of their house cured meats with mustard & pickles and the iceberg slice with bacon praline. The highlight and always our favorite Berkshire pork chop was huge, tender and oh so good. We also tried the green chorizo sausage at the suggestion of our server. Careful with this one as it packs some heat which caught my partner off guard resulting in an almost cartoon like response of a very red face, beads of sweat and gulping water like no tomorrow. Taken in small bites with the accompanying cumin creme fraiche it was better but still hot!

Service was friendly and accommodating to our requests including cooling off the Shotfire Shiraz.

We have made this one of our go to places and will definitely be back.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've eaten and drank at Butcher & the Boar a dozen times since they've opened in all manner of forms: at myself at the bar, for happy hour at the bar and in the beer garden, for a bachelor party, a family gathering, a couples night out and with just me and my wife. I've enjoyed it every time and never once been disappointed. I've now had just about everything on the menu, even some of the crazier things like the pickled beef hearts, and there hasn't been anything I haven't enjoyed.

Most recently, my siblings and our respective spouses came here for a huge meal the night before our family thanksgiving. While that may have been poor timing, Chef Riebel and his kitchen crew kind of beat the pants off of the next day's turkey. We had an order of the sausage plate (plus the new summer sausage) and wiped it clear in a heartbeat. A bunch of appetizers, including my personal favorite, the stuffed jalapenos, were quickly demolished as well. The six of tore into a steak, the long rib, some scallops and a bunch of delicious sides, too. There was hardly any food left at the end of it.

They also have great beer and bourbon selections, too. The year-round beer garden out back is a great addition, and it's awesome that they keep adding more food options out there. It's been open over a year now and is still a really hard table to score. It always makes it a lot of fun when everyone else is having a great time, too (except for some sour reviewers on here). I've always had good service, but I think I'm easy to please in that regard and don't need to be constantly waited on to be happy.

This has probably been my top recommendation since it opened, and I don't think anyone I've encouraged to go here has ever had anything less than an excellent experience.

1  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I had dinner here after the Vikings game on December 15th after having it recommended by the staff at the Ivy Spa Club. We shared some appetizers and a bottle of wine. The food was excellent as was the service! I'll definitely be back!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This place has an image and reputation that's almost bigger than life. I've eaten here three times since it opened (not sure why I neglected writing a review on times 1 & 2, but decided it was time to do it). Prices reflect there fame as well.

First thing you need to understand is that this is a place for MEAT - they do a great job with a lot of house made sausages and special cuts. Second thing to know is they have a wide selection of BOURBONS. If you can't say you are a fan of either 1 or 2, then this is not the place for you. The sides are really just window dressing - your meal will consist of Meat and Bourbon - which again, is good if you are feeling anemic and need some protein.

I've found service to be a little uneven and it is almost impossible to hear your dinner companions - like many of the newer restaurants in town, the decibel level is pretty high - think suburban leaf blower loud. Despite these limitations, I have eaten here 3 times so there is much to like about the food and drink. The better tables are in the back, unfortunately we had a tiny table near the front door - really a bar sized table that was re-purposed and hardly large enough for the large plates and our glasses - it was a bit quieter over there.

2  Thank JimRiesterer