“Good meat” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butcher & The Boar

Butcher & The Boar
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,790 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good meat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Good food- the meat selection and drinks were enjoyable. The prices were a bit expensive. The restaurant was overcrowded while we were there, and the tables were too close to each other. We could hear the conversations of the couples on either side of us, that was a bit awkward. I'd like to come back sometime to give it a second chance and see what it's like during their happy hour. I hear the patio can be a good spot to meet up with friends.

• Visited February 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great for meat lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Delicious! Especially if you love meat!

Came here for a belated birthday dinner with my meat-loving husband.

We enjoyed everything we had:

Beef Long Rib:
This is a massive rib that can be shared. It's smoky and tender and super yummy. It came with a bbq sauce that was on the sweet side (I think it has molasses) and the sweetness complemented the smoky/salty rib meat very well. It comes with a side of coleslaw.

Fried green tomatoes: Comes on a bed of Greek Goddess dressing. This stood out b/c unlike others I've had, the fried breading did not come off when I cut into it. The dressing was surprisingly good and complemented the tomatoes well.

Texas Hot Link aka Beef sausage: This comes with a spicy bbq sauce -- a little too spicy for me but my husband really liked it. It also comes with a side of coleslaw.

Fulton beer battered french fries: These were soooo good. They came piping hot and crispy. It came with two dipping sauces - a ketchup with a kick and an aioli-type sauce.

The next time we go, we'd like to try the skirt steak and some more sausages. My husband has already informed me he'd like to go back for his birthday in July. :)

Coralville, Iowa
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Wow - excellent food. The $17 cold meat selection was superb. Not a huge size so certainly not too large for two people, or even one! The beef long rib was outstanding. Very filling for one person. Battered fries were to die for!

Visited May 2013
“Beer & Meat ;-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Crowded place where food is good but expensive. People might say quality has a price but this is not applicable here :-(
Lots of different beers and a garden that make it a nice place to go !

• 2 of 5 bubbles
North Branch, Minnesota
“I really wanted to love Butcher & The Boar.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am a connoisseur of all things spicy. Right now, in my kitchen garden, I am growing habaneros, Trinidad Seven Pots, and Naga Bhut Jolokia. I love spicy food. Okay?

When I dine at an Indian restaurant, I expect to be kicked in the seat of the pants with the heat of the food from the beginning to the end of the meal. When the menu fails to explain, however, that the food is very spicy, it ruins my meal.

If our server had bothered to detail that the much of the menu is incredibly, overwhelmingly, forehead-sweatingly spicy, I would have had no problem. Then, my wife would have been able to ask for her selection-"Chicken Fried Veal" sausage in peppery gravy-to not be drenched in black pepper to the point of fainting.

If I didn't know better, I would think that someone was pranking us. The "Fulton Beer Battered Fries" were so coated in a Cajun-style Cayenne spice that my wife couldn't even eat one. The "Smothered Greens" had so many peppers in them I thought I was eating some fusion-inspired version of sarson ka saag-with extra serranos. The "Fried Green Tomatoes" had a very spicy sauce under them. The "Rye & Hard Cider Sauce" on my "Berkshire Pork & Cheddar" sausage link was more like a lip-burning revelation. Our only solace the entire meal was the "Cheesy White Corn Grits".

The taste? It was all good! I just don't like being pranked without a punch line!

The arrogance of this establishment is appalling in thinking that customers should just assume that this is a Southern American-Southern Indian fusion joint serving blazingly spicy food.

I probably won't go back; but, if I do, I'll be prepared.

• 2 of 5 bubbles