“Classy, Unique Restaurant in Minneapolis”
Review of Butcher & The Boar

Butcher & The Boar
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,851 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The restaurant is gorgeous and just 2 blocks from several downtown theatres. We ate here with another couple. They have 30 beers on tap and our server, Oscar, helped me select Hitachino Nest White Ale which was lovely. We shared the two "For the Table" sampler platters - house cured meats with mustards and pickles and beef, pork and boar sausages. It was an excellent to try a lot of meats and to get the gist of this restaurant. My husband had a beautifully done flank steak. I had scrapple (yum) and the fried green tomatoes. We were pretty full after also having a taste of the cheesy grits, so we took our cornbread home. This place is classy - a notch above most other restaurants in Minneapolis. And it's different than any other so it was a great find. We will visit again and take more friends. I highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Susan P

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The design and use of space is pretty impressive, albeit just on the border of looking like a supper club. The in-house smoker and/or wood burning oven/grill created an over powering smokey odor that caused my eyes to burn after an hour or so and left us smelling like we were at a campfire hours after leaving. The food was so-so, the pork chop - huge and visually appealing was over-cooked and tough and the cheesy grits were soupy and really had no flavor (certainly not of cheese anyway). We did enjoy the appetizers however. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable and the beer selection was impressive. I think it's worth another visit...but there is room for improvement.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Saw a recommendation by Andrew Zimmern so as we were downtown Minneapolis for the night thought we would walk down Hennepin and try Butcher & The Boar. Clearly an 'in place' but not for us the food was good but portions were small, now I have no objections to small portions when the chef has worked hard to develop flavors and presentation but 1 sausage from the grill for $12 not great value. This may be the place for the trendy folks I was less than impressed.

1  Thank mspaddler
Reviewed October 15, 2012

So excited to dine here but I was underwhelmlmed by the whole experience. Go with someone you do not like because conversation is impossible. Food was fair but that is as far as I would go. Service was good and I really liked our server. Lobster grilled cheese was a rip off we had four little pieces of lobster claw with runny chees on the thickes bread I have ever seen. Mussels while good were sandy. Sausage was good and the Dulton fries were the best on the menu. Glad I tried it but never will return.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The menu here is very original. I don't think I've ever seen so many type of sausage with such interesting meats. I'm not much of a eater of game, but you don't have to be here, despite the name. Ironically, it was a colleague who is a vegetarian who recommended this place -- but they even had a vegetarian sausage for her. .

The waiter recommended a plate of sausages for the table but none of us were big eaters so most people got a single sausage and a side. I had the Texas Beef and it was delicious but I have no idea how someone could eat more than one. Everyone at the table enjoyed their entrees and they were great, but the sides were spectacular. It was only because I was absolutely stuffed that I didn't eat every crumb of the delicious skillet of cornbread they brought me.

I am a very picky eater and was a bit skeptical at first, but the food was delicious, fresh and interesting without being pretentious.

My only problem with the place is how noisy it is. I've read other reviews and they said suggested places to sit if you wanted more quiet.

1  Thank NY10040