“Overated”
Review of Butcher & The Boar

Butcher & The Boar
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
York, United Kingdom
“Overated”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Saw a recommendation by Andrew Zimmern so as we were downtown Minneapolis for the night thought we would walk down Hennepin and try Butcher & The Boar. Clearly an 'in place' but not for us the food was good but portions were small, now I have no objections to small portions when the chef has worked hard to develop flavors and presentation but 1 sausage from the grill for $12 not great value. This may be the place for the trendy folks I was less than impressed.

1 Thank mspaddler

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“What a hype”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

So excited to dine here but I was underwhelmlmed by the whole experience. Go with someone you do not like because conversation is impossible. Food was fair but that is as far as I would go. Service was good and I really liked our server. Lobster grilled cheese was a rip off we had four little pieces of lobster claw with runny chees on the thickes bread I have ever seen. Mussels while good were sandy. Sausage was good and the Dulton fries were the best on the menu. Glad I tried it but never will return.

• Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“A carnivore's delight!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The menu here is very original. I don't think I've ever seen so many type of sausage with such interesting meats. I'm not much of a eater of game, but you don't have to be here, despite the name. Ironically, it was a colleague who is a vegetarian who recommended this place -- but they even had a vegetarian sausage for her. .

The waiter recommended a plate of sausages for the table but none of us were big eaters so most people got a single sausage and a side. I had the Texas Beef and it was delicious but I have no idea how someone could eat more than one. Everyone at the table enjoyed their entrees and they were great, but the sides were spectacular. It was only because I was absolutely stuffed that I didn't eat every crumb of the delicious skillet of cornbread they brought me.

I am a very picky eater and was a bit skeptical at first, but the food was delicious, fresh and interesting without being pretentious.

My only problem with the place is how noisy it is. I've read other reviews and they said suggested places to sit if you wanted more quiet.

1 Thank NY10040
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Meat-Eaters Heaven”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great beer garden; casual environment - even dog-friendly. Wish they were able to serve more of a menu on the patio. We dined inside, in the semi-private enclave across from the bar; it was great to cut down on the noise. My husband is a true carnivore who loved all the meats we tried (Sausage for the Table, pork chop, rib), but his favorite dish was the Smothered Greens. The Lobster Grilled Cheese was another big hit at the table, but I thought that it was a little too runny. Overall, the service and food were fantastic. A definite "must" for foodies in the area.

1 Thank Kristin F
milano
“good&so big pork chop”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

it was my first time to eat a so big pork chop. it was about 8cm thick and delicious. it was so soft that didn't seem pork.
the only problem of the restaurant is that is crazy noisy. it was the most noisy restaurant ever! i had to scream to talk to my husband....so it's ok for a dinner with friends but not for a romantic one!

• Visited July 2012