“A must-visit in Northeast Minne”
Review of Hazel's Northeast

Hazel's Northeast
Ranked #105 of 1,851 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 25, 2012

One of my favorite little places to eat in Northeast. Inviting atmosphere with cozy booths, warm lighting, and colorful art on the walls. Hazel's has a small, specialized menu of comfort food that changes seasonally (though a few items stay year-round). Dishes are created with such thought behind the combination of ingredients that I would hesitate to make any substitutions and would try any item on the menu as is. Some favorites of mine are the prawn dishes, the daily specials, the risottos, the simple house salad, and any dessert (which also changes regularly). Brunch at Hazel's is also excellent. Give this one a try and you won't regret it.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Hazel's Northeast is one of my favorite restaurants because the food is great, the service always pleasant and helpful, the owners are on site and care about their customers, and there is a relaxed atmosphere. I have gone there for lunch and dinner. The sweet potato fries are a hit as well as their risotto, burgers and pulled pork sandwich. I teach school in NE and we find Hazel's to be a very welcoming spot after a busy day teaching kids. The menu items are few but varied enough to please most people. The price is spot on. We loved POP and were sad to see it go but are happy that a place like Hazel's replaced it.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were sad to see the demise of Pop on 29th & Johnson and miss their innovative cooking. Hazel's opened in the same location, completely re-tooled into a breakfast/casual cafe with a completely different, American-food menu. They have a great handle on the neighborhood, and prices and menu choices reflect that. Dear husband and I stopped in later afternoon on a Sunday and we almost had to wait for for a table. Service was prompt and efficient, and I don't think many items on the menu were over $10. Since we were cooking at home in a few hours, we split the two egg sandwich that was accompanied with hash browns and side salad, was excellent and about $8.50. We each had a pint of tap beer and the bill was under $20. No way could either of us each finish the entree by ourself.

Children are very welcome here and there serve breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Pop - you should have never tried to venture that second cafe in St Paul-miss your chicken posale, Swedish meatballs and gourmet adventures on a budget, however, Hazel's is a welcome addition to a neighborhood riddled with mediocre "ethnic" fare.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

It is difficult when you find a GREAT restaurant and watch it slowly dwindle down to average. Unfortunately, that has been my experience with Hazel's since my first meal there in April 2011. The service has gone downhill and the food isn't the "oh my god! is this good" amazingly delicious food I had grown to crave.

If it had just been once or even twice, I could let it slide. Hazel's was my family's go-to restaurant and we went there 2+ times a month. We visit this restaurant less and less based on our experiences there over the past 5 months.

I am hoping they are simply going through growing pains and the shine that made this restaurant a star among so many great restaurants in NE Minneapolis will return. We miss you.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The family and I went to Hazel's and really enjoyed the experience. The mussels and ravioli dinners were outstanding. My son enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and my daughter thought the house pasta dish was wonderful. There are only about 15 different selections, but if you do them well, that makes sense. The wine selection was inexpensive and they have several local tap beers. The restaurant is very clean and comfortable. Parking in the rear is easily accessible. Heather did a wonderful job making sure we could enjoy our dinners. We'll be back!