“Nice For Families”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were sad to see the demise of Pop on 29th & Johnson and miss their innovative cooking. Hazel's opened in the same location, completely re-tooled into a breakfast/casual cafe with a completely different, American-food menu. They have a great handle on the neighborhood, and prices and menu choices reflect that. Dear husband and I stopped in later afternoon on a Sunday and we almost had to wait for for a table. Service was prompt and efficient, and I don't think many items on the menu were over $10. Since we were cooking at home in a few hours, we split the two egg sandwich that was accompanied with hash browns and side salad, was excellent and about $8.50. We each had a pint of tap beer and the bill was under $20. No way could either of us each finish the entree by ourself.

Children are very welcome here and there serve breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Pop - you should have never tried to venture that second cafe in St Paul-miss your chicken posale, Swedish meatballs and gourmet adventures on a budget, however, Hazel's is a welcome addition to a neighborhood riddled with mediocre "ethnic" fare.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

It is difficult when you find a GREAT restaurant and watch it slowly dwindle down to average. Unfortunately, that has been my experience with Hazel's since my first meal there in April 2011. The service has gone downhill and the food isn't the "oh my god! is this good" amazingly delicious food I had grown to crave.

If it had just been once or even twice, I could let it slide. Hazel's was my family's go-to restaurant and we went there 2+ times a month. We visit this restaurant less and less based on our experiences there over the past 5 months.

I am hoping they are simply going through growing pains and the shine that made this restaurant a star among so many great restaurants in NE Minneapolis will return. We miss you.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The family and I went to Hazel's and really enjoyed the experience. The mussels and ravioli dinners were outstanding. My son enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and my daughter thought the house pasta dish was wonderful. There are only about 15 different selections, but if you do them well, that makes sense. The wine selection was inexpensive and they have several local tap beers. The restaurant is very clean and comfortable. Parking in the rear is easily accessible. Heather did a wonderful job making sure we could enjoy our dinners. We'll be back!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I was surprised to find a lot of free parking near the restaurant. I ordered and devoured the butternut ravioli. The flavor of the sauce that was with the ravioli caught me by surprise, it was fantastic. Be sure to ask for extra bread because you will want to soak up all of the sauce on your plate. My friend equally enjoyed the traveler. The restaurant was clean and very welcoming. I cannot wait to return.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We recently went to Hazel's Northeast, which used to be Pop! It's a quaint and quirky diner with really excellent, well-prepared food. We happened to be there for breakfast. I had the banana caramel French toast, which was lovely. It was quite a varied menu, so I'm sure there is something for everyone. Plan to go back for lunch some time, based on the menu and other reviews I've read. The only down side is it is popular, so there was a bit of a wait, but not enough to discourage another visit. Check it out!