“Awesome food. Iffy service”

Rare Steak and Sushi
Ranked #663 of 1,855 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Bus stop directly in front of hotel.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The food here is awesome, plain and simple. Beef, and bison, and sushi perfectly prepared. The value here is awesome, plain and simple. $94.00 for a full meal with four drinks?? At this quality?? I bow to you. The servers, on the other hand, are below average, plain and simple. These young ladies are just not real servers who do not match the quality of this restaurant in my humble opinion. Brought my wife's food to the table....while she was in the bathroom.....and that was just one thing.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Normally, I don't eat in the hotel restaurant but on this snowy night, I just didn't feel like going out. Upon entering, the hostess made me really feel comfortable even though I was by myself. At my request, she went through some wines she thought I would like, mentioning that Chef Aaron was a bit of a "wine snob" and made sure that the wines well represented some regional best's. The menu was extensive but being in the mid-west I settled for a steak. Did I say settled? It was terrific! Great flavor, perfectly cooked, tender, and did I say great flavor? It appears that the Chef orders the beef from a special farm. The accompanying dishes were nicely presented and had nice flavor. A great hotel restaurant.

1  Thank Legeyt
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We came on a Thursday night in December and the place was busy. We were able to be seated immediately and a friendly server arrived. We ordered the grilled beef burger, steak sandwich and the house cut fries. Food was alright but the place was just so loud that it was hard to have a conversation with my husband without feeling like I was shouting at him. It was still happy hour so maybe that had something to do with it.

The two person table we were at was also quite small and we were in the middle of the room so there were people walking around us the entire time we ate. We ate quickly and left. We won't be back because it just isn't our type of place.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Good restaurant but not a great one compared to other restaurant downtown Minneapolis - price are ok, service is a bit slow and not always friendly.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband had a New York Strip. Not bad, just ok. I had the steak sandwich but with a burger instead of steak. quite overdone. Potstickers were our appetizers. Very good! Happy hour specials were great..$3 glass of wine! until 6:00 - not sure about every day but this was a Friday, We also loved the atmosphere and bar area. Very cozy. Service was pretty good also. I wish I had tried the sushi, cant comment on that. But we had a great time!! We were watching our budget and this place fit the bill. We'd go back.