“Second review of this place; have returned for multiple visits”
Review of Szechuan Spice

Szechuan Spice
Ranked #449 of 1,853 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Following up my take-out-only review from earlier this year (below), I have since returned multiple times, for both take out and also dine-in. In all cases I have been a happy, satisfied customer. Any and all of the sauced dishes have been outstanding, with a special nod to the Shredded Pork in Garlic Sauce (not a "chef's special" but simply a regular menu item)...wow, the flavor and seasoning of that sauce is addictive! Dine-in service is top-notch; needless to say, I highly recommend and would return yet again.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were there with our extended family. The Chinese menu was very traditional and the dishes we had were as good as we get anywhere. The prices were reasonable. We were surprised it wasn't busier on a Thursday night in that area. This would be a good choice for people going to the Jungle Theater which is nearby.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Have been wanting to try this restaurant for quite some time on one of my periodic business trips to Minneapolis, based on a number of other reviews and articles about it that I've read, and I finally did so this trip, but as a take-out order, so I'm only rating the food and not the in-house experience.

I chose 2 appetizers, the Szechuan Dan Dan Noodles and the Shanghai Mini Juicy Buns, and 1 entree, the Chicken with Double Chili Peppers listed in the "Chef's Recommendations" section of the menu. The Dan Dan Noodles are topped with a spicy meat sauce; the Juicy Buns are actually mini soup dumplings and are served with a dipping sauce. The Chicken dish is generously portioned and the sauce is alternately tasty and hot/spicy depending on how the peppers happen to hit you upon each bite. When the hot/spicy hit me it was quite noticeable (needed my water handy) and my nose did run (smile).

The above dishes clearly provide at least 2 dinners' worth (or you could split 2 apps and an entree with a dining partner and have a full and hearty meal). The sauced dishes are definitely prepared with a generous amount of oils and you'll become aware of this as you reach the bottom of each serving as well as the post-meal splatter you'll find on your shirt (so wear a napkin/bib...trust me on this).

I'm looking forward to returning in the near future to (a) try some more menu samplings, and (b) experience their on site service.

2  Thank DaveR19
Reviewed December 11, 2012

There is no atmosphere to speak of. The food is wonderful. Go with a group and order as much as you can from the menu. It is just so good. I loved the Dan Dan Noodles, the Szechuan dumplings, the fantastic egg plant, the special Szechuan chicken which is strips of chicken with a thin coating fried almost dry with lots of Szechuan pepper corns on the specials menu.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Don't get me wrong, Little Szechuan has to be one of the best Szechuan restaurants in the country. Most Chinese and Chinese American friends who've expressed an opinion agree, many in the Twin Cities Asian community say it's as close as Minnesota gets to Szechuan Food in Szechuan. But I and my husband have found Szechuan Spice to be just as good, and when you live in South Minneapolis as we do, it's a lot closer than the far side of Frogtown in St. Paul. The food is consistently flawless; sometimes the vegetables change in a given dish depending on what are the freshest they can get on a given day. The service is excellent and friendly, the place is attractive, the corner of Lyndale and Lake is a great area for walking before or after a good meal. And yes, they will add or hold heat per request. PS their Hot & Sour soup ties that of Little Szechuan as the best I've ever had.

1  Thank dumhadhearc