“Absolutely Loved It” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bachelor Farmer

The Bachelor Farmer
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bachelor Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 1,790 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: North First Street
Description: The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.
Dallas, Texas
“Absolutely Loved It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

In Minneapolis for two nights on business. After a little research I made reservations at The Bachelor Farmer and Borough. The Bachelor Farmer really exceeded my expectations. (Borough, not so much - see separate review). The space at "Farmer" is great - worn, old wooded floors, open timbers across the ceiling. A great staff was very helpful in explaining the menu and helping with choices.

It's easy to be healthy at the Farmer - and fully satisfied as well. I went veggie to start the meal - starting with "local lettuces with white cheddar and walnuts" - fantastic. I followed with the "asparagus with burnt butter, house-pickled red onion, chopped egg and almonds". Pretty tasty. "Roasted and fried summer squashes" was great, as was "Golden beet tartare with pickled oyster mushrooms, cashew milk, popped amaranth and horseradish". And the "salt and sugar cured salmon with lettuce broth, creme fraiche and radish" was awesome. Not wanting to be obnoxiously healthy, I finished the evening with a little house-made pate.

If you're in Minneapolis, go. It's a great spot with a conscientious staff and great setting.

• Visited July 2014

Minneapolis, MN
“Interesting place, surprisingly good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I'm a pretty picky eater in that I prefer simple meat & potatoes meals. I'm willing to try almost anything, but if I were cooking for myself I'd leave out onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives, seafood and most veggies.

I attended Sunday brunch and split some relatively adventurous (for me anyway) dishes with my table mates. All of them contained ingredients I'd normally avoid and most of them tasted good. I don't think I'd order the horseradish potatoes again, but they did taste better than I expected. If TBF can make horseradish taste okay, then the place must be good, right?

• Visited June 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Yum! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We had drinks at the bar downstairs before our table was ready. Stephen was not only handsome but nailed our drinks perfectly. We were three indecisive women who each had different tastes. We then went upstairs to enjoy an incredible dinner. Our waitress was patient and made great suggestions for wine and dinner entrees. Everything was fabulous and the atmosphere was cool and young. Three 40 year old women enjoyed ourselves! Great date night place.

“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

This was my second time at Bachelor Farmer and I left not nearly as excited about the place this time around. Service was great, I still love the decor but food fell a little flat for the price.

Woodbury, Minnesota
“We don't get it!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

OK, first, the waiter was terrific. He was prompt and offered good advice. And the food was OK. But this is a restaurant that it takes an act of God to get a reservation for. And national magazines write about it. And Obama drops by when in town. Maybe it is the fact that we are not native Minnesotans and therefore aren't Norwegian. But we could barely find something that appealed to us on the menu. And yes the food was decent. But like the title of this review, we don't get what all of the hype is about. And we probably won't go back. Be sure and go online and at least look at the menu before planning the weeks ahead that it takes to get that impossible reservation. You may not bother.

• Visited July 2014