“Local food, great atmosphere”

The Bachelor Farmer
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bachelor Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,808 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: North First Street
Description: The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Local food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Just had dinner here last night on Valentine's Day! Started out with the little radishes dish (complimentary while choosing our meals) which were great & something nice to munch on. Next, we chose the oysters as our appetizer (a special item specific to Valentines Day). For dinner, Josh & I each had a glass of white wine (took the recommendation from our waitress & it was fantastic! ), and we shared the pheasant meatballs. I've never had pheasant before, and these were fantastic! Our side was the fried sweet potatoes & those were absolutely delicious! We topped off dinner with the espresso bean chocolate mousse which was another big hit!

The only thing I was not a fan of were the oysters we shared for an appetizer, and thats only because I just dont like oysters! It had absolutely nothing to do with the restaurant! Josh wanted them, & I wanted to try them! I would definitely dine here again for a special occasion! A little pricey (our total bill with tip was $100) but the food is great, local, organic, fresh & top notch! So you get what you pay for & we both loved it!! Rustic farm decor, inviting atmosphere, great food, & great service! I would definitely recommend The Bachelor Farmer!

“Great experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful experience. Walked in on Sunday morning and gave me a sheet right away. Reminded me of my Nana's cooking.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“One of a Kind”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The menu specializes in food that you can't get anywhere else. So, don't expect to go and just order what your order every time you go out to eat. You'll have to study the menu to find something that combines something that you've never had before but sounds very good to eat. In addition to appetizers, there is toast that comes with creative spreads. There are only about six or eight entrees and you'll have to decide among them on what you think you'll like. The desserts are also new kinds of things. I doubt that you have to worry that you'll pick something that you won't like -- everything was very good and well prepared. The wait staff was attentive without being obsequious. There is an extensive wine and drink list.

It is popular. To make a weeknight reservation, you might have to pick a date two weeks ahead. To get in on a weekend, you might have to reserve two months or so in advance. (But, it is worth the wait.)

• Visited February 2014
Wisconsin
“Put it on your bucket list..”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Sunday night, one can only order the family style dinner...fried chicken (or pork), mac n cheese (or veggies with the pork), cole slaw, and magnificent, decadent dessert. Loved the food and the wine variety. Probably the hardest restaurant to find ever...unless you have the address. The sign (on the door) is about 2 inches high and not lit.

Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
1,008 restaurant reviews
“Celebrating Minnesota and it's Nordic Heritage”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Bachelor Farmer is a unique experience that really celebrates Minnesota flavors and some of the unique parts of this area of the world.
It's casual in pulled together kind of way. It feels urban and even a little European flair to it. It's popular and is a hit with a younger, hipper crowd. The bar seems pretty popular.
I found the wait staff to be young and friendly. They seem to know and understand their menu and were eager to share and explain it to a new guest.
I started with a cocktail that my server suggested to me. The drink came with radishes, butter and flat bread - simple and delicious.
My server also recommended that I start with one of their toast. These are open faced appetizer style sandwiches that celebrate the Scandinavian open faced sandwiches. I went with the beef tar tar. It was a unique take on tar tar with mushrooms and a cream mixed in. It was different than tar tars that I have had, but it was delicious and a wonderful treat to spread on the toast.
For my main course I had the tuna. It was cooked perfectly and was a great entree.
I enjoyed my night here. It felt unique and the food and service were both outstanding.

• Visited January 2014