“Awesome brunch”

The Bachelor Farmer
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bachelor Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 1,855 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: North First Street
Description: The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went for brunch before heading to the North Shore. What a wonderful meal. Smoked trout omlette and a deconstructed eggs benedict. The flavor combinations we spectacular. Loved the cart of sweets and my husband had to try the fried dough/jam. Only complaint would be that the service was a little slow but everyone was very friendly. I think the issue was where we were located in the servers area.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Our third visit to this popular new restaurant in downtown's Warehouse District. It's still one of the most talked-about places and our friends were anxious to try it. I'd say the food on this visit was best yet.

Service was friendly and efficient. The group of four shared a number of appetizers; all were very creative AND tasty.

The server's description of the featured entree--hand-cut pork chops--sounded so good that we ordered two servings to share. That was a great decision--these were the best pork chops I've ever eaten. And the portions were huge: two orders served four people.

A very satisfying evening: good food, good wine, nice atmosphere. Perfect place for a special occasion.

(Check out the bar in the lower level if you have an extra hour or two to celebrate.)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had the great pleasure of dining at The Bachelor Farmer last week while visiting family & friends in the Twin Cities. Every employee I encountered - from the reception, to the bartender, to our waiter was great. The menu included a nice variety of choices for each course. Our group of 5 shared 2 "toasts" (chopped liver & the cow's milk cheese) and both were superb. I had the duck as an entree and it was perfectly prepared. We shared the poached pear for dessert and I wished I didn't have to share. Our waiter (Miadad) did a great job - he obviously loved working at TBF. I highly recommend this place.
One note: we arrived at around 7 PM on a Thursday evening and were told it would be up to a 90 minute wait. We were able to grab seats at the (small-ish) bar pretty quickly, and then were told a group our size didn't show up, so we actually were seated pretty quickly. You should prepare to wait.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

A friend and I went to the Bachelor Farmer last night before heading to the second game of the WNBA Finals at the Target Center. This was a wonderful warm-up preceding what would eventually be a Lynx win:)

We didn't have a reservation but had been told if we arrived between 5:15 and 5:30 when they open during the week, we would most likely be seated as they keep a few tables back for walk-ins. We followed these directions and viola were seated before we could even get our drinks halfway finished. The menu was fun and creative. For my rather simple tastes I was happy to see things that weren't too over the top creatively.

We shared a very nice serving of smoked scallops, soft scrambled eggs (beautifully cooked, light, fluffy, excellent), toasted pain de mie to start off. We skipped the appealing "toasts" (I'll have to go back to try the beef tartar and the sugar and salt cured salmon, sweet mustard sauce, pickled cucumbers though.

Our entrees arrived quickly (we had a tip-off to make remember?), mine, the poached eggs, crispy fingerling potatoes, red kuri squash, with toasted walnuts was good. Hot, eggs perfectly poached and a smooth squash bed. I think I would have preferred a little more texture for the squash rather than a puree but it tasted very good. I would also have enjoyed more walnuts but that is a personal taste I know so others may not enjoy more nuts. My friends had the Market Fish which was an Alaskan Cod, lightly breaded. It was also perfectly cooked and very tasty from the bite we traded. We also each had a "pop over" which was quite frankly over baked, crispy and lacked substance. By the time we were finished, both of us agreed we were full so we didn't get dessert but there were some attractive items on the dessert menu.

It was nice not to be "over served" so to speak and to leave feeling satisfied. The restaurant is only half a mile from the arena which makes it very doable when attending a game. We were dressed casually and while others were dressed more formally at least I didn't feel out of place or unwelcome when we were greeted. The service was very good without being intrusive or hovering and the server wasn't afraid to recommend things on the menu that weren't the most expensive. Refreshing. There were also some very nice little shops to poke around in while we waited for the doors to open, particularly a small grocery store with local foods of all sorts at the front of the building housing the restaurant..

1  Thank Ellyn B
Reviewed October 12, 2012

my friend & I enjoyed a nice table, excellent service and an enjoyable evening, but the food was not a great value. The roast pork was a huge portion, but there was so much bone and fat that very little meat was found. The "side" dishes are quite small, but not in price considering the ingredients. The poached eggs with kale was good but not as special as hoped for. The dessert was dry. A fairly mediocre dinner, unfortunately -- overcome by good company and pleasant wait-staff, but it left us both feeling less than eager to return...