“Wowee wow wow...”

Blackbird Cafe
Ranked #152 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Gastropub, American, Cafe, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Clever New American fare is served at this cozy, farm-to-fork cafe. Offering made-from-scratch breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, plus craft beer, wine and weekend brunch.
Roseville, Minnesota
“Wowee wow wow...”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had breakfast here on a Sunday morning- great menu, comfortable and eclectic decor, friendly service. This is the quintessential cool neighborhood cafe, the type everyone wants to have around the corner from home. I will definitely be back to try the lunch and dinner fare!

• Visited March 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Breakfast - Looking forward to Lunch/Dinner”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great atmosphere - large, comfortable booths with several tables. Space at the bar as well. My wife and I stopped by for breakfast. Attentive service, food came out very timely. I had the huevos rancheros with the avocado & chorizo. Salsa on the eggs was awesome. My wife had a traditional eggs, bacon, hasbrowns, toast. Menu is fairly priced for the quality of the food which was high. I was eyeing up the tap beers - good selection, looking forward to going back for dinner.

• Visited March 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A good local/organic in SW Minneapolis”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Nice, unique spot. Great food using local, organic ingredients. Cool space. Friendly, competent staff. Family owned and run. I go here quite a bit for both dinner and breakfast.

Minneapolis, MN
“Fabulous, start to finish”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant. Friendly service, eclectic decor, amazing food. What more can you ask for?

My husband, teenage son, and I visited on Saturday around noonish. The online menu brought us in. It was such a delightful meal. I had the amazing Oxtail Hash. Now, many might be intimidated and or avoid oxtails like the plague. It's just tender beef. Quit thinking about it and order it! It's amazing. Root vegetable has with two perfectly cooked eggs, homemade hollandaise sauce and homemade wheat bread toast. Astonishingly good. Son's meal was relatively boring, but he's a teenager--just a scrambled eggs breakfast, but it was fantabulous. Bacon was out of this world and he ate the homemade hash browns in about 30 seconds. He couldn't stop eating to comment on the taste, which we parents know equals "Excellent!" My husband had the Collen O'brien breakfast. He's a spice fiend and this got him pink in the face in a glorious way. The homemade andouille sausage was the source of the zip. Yum.

The coffee was excellent. However, this is a bit pet peeve of mine, just when I got it creamed and sugared just to my liking, someone would come along and top it off. Ugh. I hate this. Just leave me a carafe, really, this is petty, but I can't be the only "leave my coffee alone" person. The only other things the restaurant could work on are: our waitress spoke so softly half the time we had no idea what she was saying and they need a changing table in the bathroom. The father who used the woman's room before me used the sink and left some evidence behind, ew. Just a door attached fold down deal, I'm sure, would be appreciated in this neighborhood filled with young families.

OK, so why are you still reading this. Go. Now. In fact, as I write this it's happy hour and I'm honestly thinking about making the drive from the 'burbs just to sit and eat what looks like the most amazing happy hour menu around.

Thanks Blackbird Cafe. You'll see me again. And if you don't recognize me, look for the woman covering her coffee cup every time someone's doing the java jive across the dining room.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Lilbet247
“Good food, consistently poor service”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Nice wait staff, strangely marginally competent though. Wait fifteen minutes for coffee, soup arrives with meal, can't seem to be able to handle a rush. How can the hostess not know what their soups are. I keep wanting them to get their act together but....