“Great place to stay”

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Depot is a great place to stay. Great location in the city. The waterpark is perfect for children. The arcade that is with it had quite a few games to keep kids busy. The breakfast buffet had a nice variety of foods and children under 12 eat free. We found our room to be clean with comfortable beds. The staff was extremely nice and helpful!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank paulpetera
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot

Reviewed September 12, 2009

Great breakfast buffet, room service and front desk staff. Rooms were very updated and clean. Bar also has great staff and an exciting wine list. Pool area is waterpark and really only for families.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank thriftytraveler_9
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This is a very nice place and the rooms are quite nice. The best part is the location! Right downtown and close to the waterfront area. Many restaurants are in every direction and there is a lot to do all within steps! The hotel itself was very nice and a wonderful staff. However, during my stay, there was a young couple that started fighting in the hall late at night. It was truly disturbing with the course language being used between them. I haven't even heard that kind of thing at a Motel 6! It is not the hotel's fault, but security should have been quick and swift. Instead, the police came and settled things down, but it took some time. I was amazed this would have happened at such a place.
Also, the bar downstairs had advertised a late night happy hour with both reduced food and drink . However, there were so many people that there were not enough waitstaff to accommodate. We left this area after 20 minutes without being served. Disappointing!

The breakfast buffet is totally worth the price! Delicious!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Boystowtraveler
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My wife and I spent about 5 days at the Depot.

On checking in, we turned on the aircon and left the room for about 6 hours. When we returned, the aircon had malfunctioned and the floor was soaked (evidently are reocurring problem). When we reported the problem, the young person at the front desk said that we could put down towels and that would solve the problem. We had to tell her that that wouldn't do and to give us another room - which was quickly done.

That was the only blip in an otherwise good stay.

Incidently the price we recieved on "priceline" really made this a best-buy

The waterpark was closed during our stay

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed July 28, 2009

First off this was a beautiful hotel easy to get to from the airport via the light rail train. I only had the below glitch and this is what I wrote on the customer survey. Other than these minor inconveniences the hotel was great

Upon departure I received my bill under my door there were 2 errors on it 1) I was charged for parking for 2 nights when I did not drive a vehicle, and 2) My $18 breakfast was billed to my room when I handed the waitress an American Express credit card. At Check out I talked with Moin (last name unknown) I'm not sure if it was a break down in his english skills or my failure to communicate. I told him I thought the Breakfast was double billed once to my room and possibly to my credit card. He questioned me for a few minutes and said he would have to review all the credit receipts and could I wait. I also told him about the parking charges that were on my folio. After 5 minutes or so Moin did the right thing and took the charge for breakfast off my Folio. I do owe you $18 because it never was charged to my credit card. Makes me wonder why it was charged to the room in the first place. Once I left the hotel and I was back in Virginia I noticed Moin failed to remove the parking charges. On Monday I called the hotel directly, again I was questioned by the young lady (name not recalled) did you have a car? did you ride with someone? What was their name? Did they pay for parking? I understand trying to verify the truth but, that was a first time experience of me, the client, having to prove they made the error and I wasn't trying to chisel them for a freebie. Left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak. However after an hour of my time it all got straightened out.

Otherwise, I loved the hotel except for the workout facility very poor compared to Hilton's new Precor gyms.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank a1scuba
Reviewed June 21, 2009

My wife, 3 year old daughter, and I spend 2 nights at the hotel in June. As a long-term platinum, I called the hotel directly before arrival and was able to secure one of the suites that were part of the original depot. Our suite - 294 - was quite large - with a full living room, a large bathroom with jacuzzi and separate shower and a large bedroom with a kingsize bed with a nice sleigh frame.

NOTE: if you are kind of hotel snobby like we are, you need to make sure you secure one of the suites in the depot. Otherwise, the rooms looked like a slighly nicer than normal Courtyard - which makes sense given that it only converted from a Courtyard to a Renaissance 2 years ago.

The first day we called down and asked if we got a free breakfast since the conceirge lounge was closed. At your service said yes and to come to the front desk. However, when we got to the front desk, at first, we had to negotiate a bit since they said that you only got breakfast during weekdays but the agent did the right thing and gave us free breakfast for 3. Overall, the breakfast was fine but nothing exceptional about it. The next day we just decided to go to the coffee store next door.

We did the water park thing for our 3 year old. Free when using Points. Good for ages 3 through 10ish. Pretty nice and very hot large jacuzzi as well.

Overall, highly recommend property if you are using Points and can get upgraded to a nice suite or if you want to pay for a suite.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank rogerslb
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I have been staying at The Depot once a week for two years now on business. Minneapolis is swimming in great hotels, and The Depot is in the top five. Being within two blocks of the river is great because it provides easy access to the river parks, the "North East" (the other side of the river), and the main business district. The staff is great, and the personality of the hotel is nice and classic. It is a converted train depot, hence the name. The regular rooms have everything one needs, and the historic suites have wonderful personality with tall ceilings and Victorian decor. Don't miss the fast and delicious buffet breakfast.

The street rooms can be a bit noisy, though, so ask for a room facing the parking lot if you're woken easily by horns, etc. It should also be noted that the ice rink and water park are open at what I consider to be strange times (the water park is not open every day during the summer, etc.) so those family activities are limited to the weekends. Internet access is not free, either.

Overall The Depot is a very good hotel and it's unlikely you'll find much amiss.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Nivonia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis Downtown

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!