“Well located and helpful in Downtown Minneapolis”

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed for two days in conjunction with the hotel being host for the Minneapolis Marathon. The hotel did a good job with the logistics of hosting the event. The personnel were very helpful with directions to area amenities, and gave me a 2 pm late checkout to facilitate my running the marathon and getting back to shower up. The hotel was located very well only two blocks from the Government Plaza light rail stop direct from the airport just 25 min. away for $1.75. A block away was the Mississippi River, the Mill Ruins, the falls, and jogging/bike trails. Many riverfront attractions are in the immediate area. Two blocks away is a pedestrian street called the Mall where you find shopping and real nice bars and restaurants away from the River. The same light rail can take you to the Mall of American on one end and to Target Field to see a game on the other. I would recommend staying here when visiting Downtown. The room was great, except that the window covering was ventian blinds without any additional curtain covering. It went with the decor of the room great, but let in too much light if one is trying to sleep late.

Room Tip: If trying to sleep late, take a room on the North side so you don't get direct sun blaring throu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Brittany E, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Ralph R-

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel. We love being the host hotel for so many marathons in the Minneapolis area and I'm happy to hear we were able to accomodate your late check-out. I'm sorry to hear you found it difficult to sleep with the light coming through your window coverings! I will be sure to look into ways we can remedy this issue for future guests. It sounds like you had a chance to do a lot of exploring while you were with us, something that I also love to hear from our guests. I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon! Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We reserved this hotel for a long weekend to explore Minneapolis and attend some plays at the Guthrie Theater. This is an interesting hotel in a good to great location. Price was really good too for our dates. The building is a restored train depot and is historically interesting. The hotel is more linear than many so not as compact as some. Still, we enjoyed it. Good breakfasts and freindly helpful staff. Recommended!

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues you should probably request a room near the elevator. Upper floors are n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brittany E, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

JayF-

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us! I love hearing that the staff you encountered was friendly and helpful and that you'll recommend us! We love being uniquely built and enjoy sharing the fun details about the train depot when anyone asks. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our breakfast as well and hope you left full! Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a two-night business trip. Prior to my arrival I called the hotel with various questions. David and Liz were both helpful and extremely knowledgeable. From the moment I checked into the hotel the entire staff went out of there way to make me feel at home. This is such a rare trait in todays hotel market. Thanks to the entire Depot Renaissance team for the Texas size welcome!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

WillPwr-

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel. I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you received such great customer service from us. We always share great comments about individuals with our entire team and I will be sure to share yours with both David and Liz. It is fantastic hearing that we helped you feel at home with us during your business trip and we hope you'll be our guest again in the future. Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here for my nephew's graduation from the U of Minn - the staff was friendly and cooperative, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The lounge did get a little loud, but it was a pleasant, attractive spot to have a drink or grab a bite to eat. They also had a "DJ" playing music on Friday night, which was fun...I do agree that the lobby area gets pretty congested and they try to fit a lot of things into a small area - sundries, the lounge, the front desk, etc. but it is certainly manageable. The outdoor area has seating and a firepit and they do special events like barbeques, which makes it rather unique. My husband and I were able to walk to the Flour Mill Museum, the "Riverwalk" area, the Twins game, and a fun little brewery so, while it is not right on Nicolette Mall (but close enough to walk to), it is definitely accessible to lots of activities. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Breezy41-

Thank you for taking the time to review the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope your nephew's graduation was a very special time for you. I'm sorry you encountered issues in terms of lobby traffic, with large events in-house there tend to be lots of people as well, which can leave to slight 'traffic jams'. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our DJ as well as the surronding neighborhood and some of the interesting sites that go along with it! I hope we get to host you again soon and thank you again for your review!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

For some time now, I have been intrigued by this bit of architecture in the Minneapolis skyline. I finally decided to take a chance and book a room for a weekend downtown.

First Impressions:

This lobby is crowded and it is very hot in here. The noise level is extreme and I can barely make it to the registration desk because all the people in the lobby. "Ouch, that's my ankle!" I shouted as the luggage cart came crushing down on my ankle. From behind I was being attacked by a rogue hotel luggage cart and a crazy woman pushing it and yelling, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" as she careened through the lobby. The walk down the hallway to the elevators is quite a trek and then the walk to the room on the floor hallway is even a further trek. There are people congregating around my room door in the hallway, drinking and partying as I approach my room. Where am I?

The room OK but there was no fridge in it.

I ate in the hotel restaurant. A $38.00 New York Strip is what I ordered. What I got was a piece of grizzle left over from some old Bonanza Steak House. Not good! and that was just for the steak. Everything else was al la carte!

Won't go there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have stayed at the Depot properties over a dozen times in the 6 years since we have had kids (now 6, 4, and 1) and every stay gets better and better. The management is incredibly attentive to the details of our needs and we have never once been disappointed with their responses if we had any kind of problem during our stays. The food at the buffet breakfast is better than you can get at most 5 star restaurants and the servers are so kind (even when the kids are not in the best form). We come here for the luxury accomodations and service in combination with the waterpark and ice rink, as well as the convenient location and AWESOME staff! We even threw the best shower for my relatives at Charleys and the setting was beautiful, the servers sweet and the food was delicious!

Room Tip: The historic suites are amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Myriahmor-

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel. It's great hearing that you've had a chance to visit us multiple times and I'm so happy to hear that you've enjoyed yourselves each time. We're so happy that you're able to enjoy the 'extras' we offer on property, such as the waterpark and restaurant and I'm thrilled we were able to host such a special event for you! Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Staff is excellent, rooms very clean, pool area was great for kids, breakfast buffet was excellent, and lounge was good to. I loved walking around the hotel and looking at all the history on and next to the walls, lots of charm in this historic place and yet the place was still modern. Also, it's a 5 minute walk to the Mill City Museum as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Brittany E, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

JSilva12-

I am thrilled to hear you had such a great time with us at the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel. I am so happy you were able to utilize the various areas of the hotel and that you enjoyed all of it. It's also great to hear that you were out exploring our neighborhood and the Mill City Museum. Thank you so much for taking the time to reivew our hotel, we hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
#4 of 52 in Minneapolis
Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!