“ Fmly visit to 8 fl Xmas display & Parade ”

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
World
“ Fmly visit to 8 fl Xmas display & Parade ”
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We spent the Thanksgiving weekend at the Depot. This was our first stay at this hotel but have been to MPLS many times. There were two adults and one child, and we were upgraded to a suite because my husband is a frequent Marriott guest. The suite is perfect for a family as the couch is a sofa bed. The bathroom, large with great shower, is on that side of suite with French doors to master ( no bathroom). I would highly recommend requesting " old" side of depot, each room is unique and even the hallways seem authentically antique. Rooms were quite, even with road outside window. Service was friendly and responsive. Room service was excellent as well. Only issues were no safe in room, two lights and broken make-up mirror and one bathrobe. The staff offered to fix all but without a safe we didn't want people in and out of room. Ice rink was large and decent , although ice not surfaced enough if you are a figure skater, fine for general population. It's a few blocks to downtown restaurants, which can seem like a loooong walk in 9 degree weather, but in normal weather, easily accessible. Downtown MPLS had several great, fun restaurants and the 8 floor Holiday Display ( a longtime tradition for MPLS ) is well worth the trip. I wish there were more shops, Saks and Neiman Marcus closed as did many others but if you are looking for a family fun weekend downtown, I would highly recommend the Depot. Last point- it is incredibly reasonably priced ! Also has water park but did not see it. Also , self park, valet will help with luggage but lot right at hotel ( adjoined to Residence Inn).

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chefintraining4ever
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Chefintraining4ever,
Thank you for choosing to spend your Thanksgiving weekend with us! I’m happy to hear you had the opportunity to experience one of our historic suites, ice skating rink and the holiday display downtown! We hope you will be back to visit us again in the future.
Liz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Williston, Vermont
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We will be taken another trip to Minneapolis in about 10 days and are looking forward to another stay at this property. The staff is personable and professional, the location is very convenient, and the hotel offers something for all types of travelers. This is a great option in a great city filled with wonderful restaurants and activities. See you soon!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
depotmgr, General Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thanks Tony! It's turned into a winter wonderland since your last visit. Be sure to bring your warm coat! Michael
USA
Reviewed November 28, 2013

The staff was friendly and the property was clean. The only strange bit was having a jacuzzi in my room. Call me crazy, but I prefer to have my tub in the bathroom and not next to the bed. The breakfast buffet was generous and getting a taxi was easy. The guy at the desk made a nice recommendation for dinner.

Room Tip: Skip the spa suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
GatsbyUSA,

I'm happy to hear that you encountered friendly staff and you found the property to be clean. Our spa suites do have the Jacuzzi's outside of the bathroom which I understand is a bit uncommon. If you return to our hotel in the future I would recommend checking out our historic suites which have a more traditional set-up with unique decor. We appreciate your review and hope to see you again.

Manning, Iowa
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Excellent parking, very friendly desk staff, clean rooms, quiet surroundings and, through these are the basics, the Depot has more to offer. I recommend the hotel's bar, both extremely calm and comfortable, with a polite, prompt staff to boot. The Depot's restaurant is also above average and serves a morning buffet for a reasonable price. Finally the location, within walking distance of many bars and eating establishments, is an added plus. Perhaps the only draw back might be the lodging's price, not over the top but a tad steep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Augustleroy,

Thank you so much for your review. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you were able to spend time enjoying the hotel and also had the opportunity to get out and explore the local area. We certainly hope you will visit us again in the future.

New York
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a great hotel that was once an old train station. You can still see some of the waiting rooms with the marble and towering ceilings. I love places like this. Best part of this hotel is the bar/restaurant area. It's the hub of the hotel. Right off the main lobby, it's just a very comfortable space with lots of different types of seating, very good food and it can be for a casual meetup with other guests or a casual business meeting, it serves alot of purposes. The bar itself has a bunch of comfortable stools, nice selection of beers and it's nicely incorporated into the space. I sampled alot of the food over the 4 days of my visit and everything was good. The staff throughout the hotel was very friendly. They seemed like they enjoyed working there. The hotel is in an ok, location, not right downtown but just a few minute walk to lots of different neighborhoods. I found a great japanese restaurant just a block down, I think they call this the warehouse district because there alot of old factories that have been turned into apartments. It's a hip area and it was exactly what I was looking for. The room was very comfortable and quiet. And the elevator was quick. I have a little pet peeve with hotels where you have to wait 5 minutes every time you press the floor button. This one is super quick and came in a jiff over the probably 50 trips up and down I did over 4 days.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
View2mtn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m happy to hear you were able to explore areas of the hotel as well as the warehouse district. I’m also happy to hear you had a pleasant experience with the hotel staff and got to enjoy the bar and restaurant while you were our guest. Please come back and see us again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed at The Depot Renaissance for three nights for business. Overall, it's good, especially the building is beautiful, but nothing really stood out. Especially the fact that lounge was closed during the wekeend and I did not get any breakfast was disappointing. I think next time I will try a different hotel. Below are the details.

Pros:
(1) The building is beautiful. The decoration is old style but not old!, it is clean and well-maintained.
(2) Close to Vikings stadium.
(3) Room is well decorated (again, in an old-style). Toilet and shower worked well. Bed was nice.
(4) On weekdays, I was able to enjoy the Lounge on the same floor as my room (4th), with water and nonalcoholic beverages, light snacks, and breakfast, and some fruits (see Cons as well).
(5) Staff was nice to me.

Cons:
(1) Located sort of middle of nowhere. Long walk to the university (10-15min). Long walk (like 15-20 min) to the center of the Downtown. If you have a car it's fine, but I didn't...
(2) The lounge was closed during the weekend. Maybe I wasn't careful listening when I was checking in, but I was disappointed to find out that the lounge is closed two days out of my three day visit (no free breakfast or soft drinks). I asked there is any alternative offered for the closed lounge at the front desk, but the answer was "no. you need to pay..."
(3) There weren't many people at the front desk. Service was efficient but sometimes I was frustrated by the wait. It was especially frustrating because there seem to be people doing other stuff but they were not available for answering quick questions for example.
(4) My room was sort of small, for the mid-west standard.
(5) No swimming pool. They have a gym of course.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mamber-m,

We appreciate your detailed review of our hotel. We are sorry that it wasn't more than just an average experience for you. Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay and for staying as our guest.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend getaway. In general, hotels in downtown Minneapolis are pricey and this one was no exception...but reasonable for the area. Room was very cozy and clean...all the staff was friendly. The 'Train Depot' feel to it it added to the nostalgia of the area.
Close to the river and Stone Arch bridge and historic hiking paths - also a quick walk to the football stadium

this was our second stay at this hotel and definitely could see a third in the future

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
David p,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and staying as our guest. We are glad to hear you felt the room was cozy and clean and you had a good experience with the staff. We hope to see you again in the future!

Liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
aloft Minneapolis
aloft Minneapolis
#27 of 49 in Minneapolis

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!