“really nice/modern hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“really nice/modern hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed here for the Medtronic Marathon the first weekend in October. It is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are spacious, beds comfy and well located a few blockd from the light rail (Government Plaza stop). It is walking distance to the city center and the warehouse district which is a little funky..nice restautrants, bars etc. A few tiny drawbacks (and only if these things matter to you). Clearly very few people utilize public transportation. The staff at the hotel were SO friendly, but couldn't really help at all about busses to get around. This was important to me, as the non runner in the group I had to meet my friend at certain mile points throughout the race as well as get to the finish line. But I managed. Also again as the non runner I wanted to explore a little night life..but this hotel is smack in the middle of the government district, so after you left the boundaries of the downtown it was very desolate. I did not feel safe walking back to the hotel late at night and alone. But again..that's me. But if you want a well located and clean hotel overall, it's a sure bet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Coquija
depotmgr, General Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thanks for the review and I will be sure to share the nice comments with our team. The marathon weekend is very busy and I'm sorry for all of the traffic and congestion!
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Minneapolis for just one night. We went to see a play at the Guthrie theater which is within walking distance. The hotel used to be an old train depot and the displays and photographs around the hotel are amazing. The hotel is very charming with a nice bar with an outdoor area with a beautiful fire pit. Unfortunately a huge storm came in that night and we could not take advantage of the outdoor area. There is also an indoor water park for children and an ice skating rink. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful and so efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you! I'm sorry that experienced a MN thunderstorm and glad that you enjoyed the Mill District offerings. Please think of us again when coming to Minneapolis.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights in October 2013 for work and was very satisfied. Hotel is very clean, excellent service, and a convenient location. Ate dinner at the hotel restaurant which was good, but nothing spectacular. Near light rail and parks along the Mississippi River. Would stay here again. Also a nice coffee shop right next door.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review and please let me know if there is anything specific you can share about your restaurant experience. I would love to get your thoughts.
MClark@TheDepotMinneapolis.com
Flyover County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We love this hotel. The location is perfect for Downtown, Target Field, Metrodome & St. Anthony. Our stay this past weekend was for a Vikings game and the staff was again very courteous, helpful, attentive--everything. Rooms were clean and spacious--really nothing bad to say about the hotel. The beer selection at the bar is pretty impressive and the bartender I spoke with really knew what he was talking about--especially the local brews. You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and am delighted that our staff shared local offerings with you. Local and indigenous itmes are an important part of Renaissance.
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Let me start by saying we had contacted the hotel more than a 3 months prior that wile staying there we would be getting married and I wated to make everything special.. The staff never made mention of our getting married nor wished us good luck. When we spoke to the nice valet person he did wish us best of luck and so did one of the bar waitresses we spoke to. I had converstions with the the head of guest relations and never even got a simple card wishing us well.. Othere places we have stayed would send a bottle of wine, champagne or some sort of acknowledgement of our special day. I was dissapopinted to say the least and next trip we will stay elsewhere..
Initially I booked a room via priceline and when speaking to The Depot on the phone they offered me a uprgrade to a Historic suite with a great view. Here is the quote from their web-site.
" Step into a historic suite. Located in the original Depot building, our Historic Suites offer luxury and grandeur simply not found at any other hotel in Minneapolis. These magnificent hotel rooms boast up to 950 square feet and feature 12-foot ceilings. The oversized windows present sweeping views of the downtown Minneapolis skyline." I will post a picture of our sweeping shyline view..
I felt this hotel only cared about nickel and diming us and they won't have to worry about my business again. I will take it elsewhere..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GWoodall
I'm so sorry that we failed to recognize your special day. Clearly there was an internal disconnect with our team. Please know that we are very guest focused and this is not typical for us. I would be happy to discuss this further if you care to contact me at mclark@TheDepotMinneapolis.com.
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Wonderful business accommodations, historic building and a great location in the heart of downtown. Easy walking distance to attractions, restaurants and bars. Nice view of St. Anthony falls and the heated, underground parking is a blessing in the harsh Minnesota winters!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Having worked here for 10 years and lived in MN all of my life, I completely agree that the heated parking is a great amenity. Thanks for sharing and for staying with us!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you're visiting Minneapolis for the first time, this is a great place to stay. Easy walking distance to the light rail from the airport, to the Mill City Museum/Guthrie Theater area, to the Stone Arch Bridge and the Heritage Trail, and the Ground Round Scenic Byway with biking and walking paths. Very friendly and helpful service at the front desk. They gave us several good restaurant recommendations, again, all within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Although there is no view of the river, ask for a higher floor facing the river, rather than the int...