“Won't be back” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Minnesota
“Won't be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel only because it was the hosting place for the Twin Cities Marathon. I needed a good nights sleep...seeing I was going to run a marathon in the morning. I should have took note that that wouldn't happen after reading previous reviews. The room was LOUD...from outside noise...to even all the people walking in the halls. I would get up numerous times just to turn on the AC to try to drown out the racket...needless to say I slept like crap, even though the bed was very comfortable. Also, we could not get out of the parking ramp...we had the key card and the arm still would not go up...this was very upsetting seeing we needed to be at the start line of the marathon and not really knowing where to go! We kept buzzing the attendant and FINALLY they raised the arm up! I had to leave later that day due to an unexpected death in my family...I mistakenly took the parking key cards with me. When my friends tried to leave the next day they charged them again (after already paying!!!!) for parking because they didn't have the key cards (which got billed to my credit card!!!!!). Overall, not happy with this place at all. I will not be back...to many other GOOD options in the area. Oh, the bell boy was great...that was probably the best thing I can say about this hotel. And I'm NOT a negative person...all my reviews are usually "good" reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Minnesota09
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I can understand your frustrations especially when preparing for a marathon. I apologize that your experience was unpleasant due to noise from the street and hallway, the delay at the parking gate and the duplicate charge for parking. We will certainly use your review as an opportunity to improve. I again apologize for the unpleasant stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Palmer, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had a great extended weekend stay at the Depot. The front desk staff was really helpful and friendly. With the exception of one waitress at the bar, all the restaurant staff earned large tips. The bar stays open late and had great ambiance; we felt like we were gathered in someone's study or library. The kitchen made great appetizers and the hotel had something for everyone. We never made it to the water park/pool, but walked through to meet up with other members of our part in the Residence Stay side. Really comfortable beds and quiet rooms. There's a coffee shop on the corner and it is just blocks from the blue line light rail, making it easy for those not renting a car. You could even walk to Nicollett Mall. The location was great for our group attending a wedding across the bridge. My only complaint: a charge for internet service. When paying top rates this service should be included.

Room Tip: All the rooms I visited were clean, comfortable, and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your wonderful review! It sounds like you had an enjoyable experience.
We certainly hope that you and your group will be back to visit us again in the future. Thank you for staying as our guest.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very efficient and professional desk staff had us into our room within minutes of arrival. Very quiet room in a beautifully restored old building. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel has excellent food. There is a charge for internet service, but the service was quick and dependable. We'd definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your experience at The Renaissance. I hope that your travels bring you back to the local area so you can enjoy it all over again. Thank you for staying with us!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel in general. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. I was traveling with my children and was upgraded to a suite which was lovely. The club floor was not open as it was a weekend and this was a bit disappointing, but the upgrade made up for it. Coffee was available in the lobby area starting at an early hour and that was a big help. Despite there being four weddings at the property the weekend we stayed the room was very quiet and we never encountered crowds of people. There is a water park on the property but we did not explore it. The lobby bar was well stocked and uncrowded. The staff was attentive and helpful. All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. We are very glad that you had a comfortable stay while visiting our hotel. It's wonderful to hear that you were upgraded which allowed you to experience one of our Historic Suites. If you get the chance to come visit us again be sure to explore the water park- it's a hidden gem in the downtown area.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Thank you so much to the front desk for being so helpful during my stay. In addition, I left a few things in my room and the Housekeeping department was amazing at locating the missing pieces and sending them free of charge. If and when I'm back in Minneapolis, will 100% stay at the Depot again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying as our guest! It's great to hear that we were able to provide you with excellent service during your stay. We look forward to hosting you next time you visit the Minneapolis area.
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a full service high end hotel with lots to offer. I did enjoy room service and a meal in the restuarant downstairs. Both were good, internet speed was great. The hotel itself had a very clean and fresh feel to it. Every employee I encountered made it really feel like I was in the most expensive hotel in Minneapolis.

Parking was about $20 a day (non-valet), but that is consistent for the area so big issue there. The hotel also has an ice rink I think connected, I didn't check it out. But that is sort of neat.

The room was comfortable, bed was awesome, amenities were luxury, water pressure was perfect, and staff were great.

All in all, I will be back if I venture to the downtown area of Minneapolis again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will come visit us again soon. The ice rink is connected to The Renaissance, located in The Historic Depot. The rink typically opens in the month of November and closes early March. Check out our website calendar for details.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Renaissance Depot is a neat hotel near downtown Minneapolis. It is about 1 block from a long waterfront trail that runs along the Mississippi River and has interpretive signs detailing the history of the area. From here you can see the Gold Medal and Pillsbury flour mills, and many bridges.

About 5 blocks in the other direction you can catch a light rail train that takes you to the Mall of America or the airport.

The bedding in this hotel was great. I love goosedown and slept well. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The downside was although the website advertises they have a waterpark, the waterpark isn't actually open unless you happen to stay on a weekend. They don't even have a pool or hot tub open which was a major disappointment. Another downside is they don't have free wifi. It costs $10 for noon to noon service. Lastly, the restaurant, Charley's wasn't that great. They got our order wrong, the food was cold and my burger was supposed to be well done but came out rather pink. It took so long to get it the first time that I didn't bother sending it back. The second night we ordered room service and that was a better experience though the fries were cold again.

Overall, it was a decent experience, but not all that family friendly since there wasn't anything for the kids to do nearby and w/o a pool that is actually open.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mountainsara
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. You are right, the water park is available on weekends and some holidays only. You can always view the complete schedule and pricing at http://www.thedepotminneapolis.com.

If your travels find you in the area again we hope you discover us again!