“Beautiful suites” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Minneapolis
minneapolis
“Beautiful suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our family of 4, with two young children, stayed in a suite for a weekend. We live in the Twin Cities but figured it'd be a fun getaway for the family. Our kids are 1 and 3 and they loved it. It was a whole "Choo-Choo Train" themed weekend. We took the light-rail downtown, then did the waterpark, then walked around the hotel looking at all the train memorabilia.

The pool is far too cold for children of this age. The deeper pool is warmer but its too deep for young children. The pool with the train slide and other water features would be great for toddlers (approx 8" deep with zero entry) but it was freezing. Our kids wanted nothing to do with it. Very disappointing.

We ate dinner at Charlie's and decided to do the buffet bc kids would eat free. Decent buffet, great service.

I'd do it again, but they need to do something about the water temperature in the pool!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank kelly g
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in one of our historic suites. You are right, at times the play pool can be a bit chilly especially during high use periods as it refills. Our Chief Engineer has been notified and has rectified this issue.

Thank you for notifying us of the issue. If your travels find you in the area again we hope you discover us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Very nice place, convenient for the Y Regional Swim meet we were attending.
The front desk, restaurant, and bar staff were great. They were helpful, professional, and friendly.
The water park is very nice. A lot of good Sushi and Asian restaurants are in the neighborhood.The parking garage is an underground facility connected by elevators to the hotel with a reasonable fixed price and with the possibility to go in and out any time. The concierge was helpful, providing directions to a wonderful restaurant within walking distance

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your great review. I am glad to hear our staff made your staff special. Thank you for discovering us. I hope we see you again when in the area.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a new property located next to the old Soo Line Railway station in downtown Minneapolis.
The lobby is decorated with railroad memorabilia, which is nicely displayed with interesting labels, plus reproductions of historic railroad posters from the 1940s. The parking garage is an underground facility connected by elevators to the hotel so it was easy to access our car. The concierge was helpful, providing directions to a wonderful restaurant within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We hope you discover us again when your travels find you in the area.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is more like a mid-level Marriott or high end Courtyard in terms of room appearance especially for a downtown location. That being said the front desk, restaurant, and bar staff were great. They were helpful, professional, and friendly. It is on the northern most end of downtown compared to more of the heart like the downtown Residence Inn and Marriott. Still, I would say the Target Field (Twin’s baseball) and Target Center are within walking distance. 4+ bar/restaurants are within 3 blocks of the hotel.

This is hotel is adjacent to the Residence Inn Depot. Connecting hotels are part of a trend that allows customers to have a specific brand experience with amenities. It is most beneficial for those staying at the mid-brand or one that is not full service. An example, I recently stayed at the Courtyard connected to a Renaissance in Arlington, VA. This gave me access to a full restaurant and bar along with a much better workout facility. In this case, the Residence Inn folks get access to a restaurant and bar which is a plus. Typical Marriott/Courtyard rooms but I tend to expect a bit more from Renaissance.

I took advantage of a weekend special that included parking, waterpark access, arcade tokens, and dinner for four. A great value but be prepared for a hotel full of kids. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a sofabed and refrigerator. Room service was available until 11pm which is a nice added convenience. Overall I can confidently recommend this hotel as long as the rate is $130 or less. Higher than that and I would check into comparable hotels and make a decision based on cost, location, and amenities. For example, Hilton (more central, close to the convention center, parking likely more expensive) or Residence Inn City center (skyway connections, central dtwn, but no pool) with the caveat that is has been over a year since I stayed at either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you pointed out our Life Style brand is a little bit different than a Typical Renaissance. Being a Historical site we preserved the fell of how it would have been in 1930. This style lends itself to be more comfortable and elegant than upscale. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope you discover us again if your travels find you in our area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I was not blown away by anything here. The bartender was very friendly (Tony?) and became a staple for me each evening before heading out. I liked the local brews on tap.

Rooms are definitely in need of a more up to date motif and my room had a tiny sink and counter. If that is the norm for all rooms than its quite sad. I couldn't even fit my makeup bag on the counter with a brush.

The maids are obnoxious. I'm all for clean rooms, which they were. BUT even with a DND sign hanging on my door they knocked. I thought it odd but then saw that the sign had been slipped under my door. I would blame it on some kid but my brother a few doors down had a similar experience.

Hotel has only 2 elevators so I found myself waiting a lot. In fact at checkout time, I had to wait for 2 elevators before I found one with room to board.

Hotel also has a waterpark. Seems like a great idea for young kiddos. I did not check that out.

Near light rail but a far walk from any good restaurants and bars.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad you enjoyed Tony one of our bartenders. If you thought he was a good bartender you should hear him sing. He’s an amazingly talented young man.
In your review you mentioned the sink area. Being a historical building we have many different sized rooms and different layouts to fit our guest’s needs. For instance, our historic rooms have very large bathroom some of which with deep soaking tubes and a few with spas.
I have forward your comments on being disturbed by the housekeeping staff to our Director of Style. We value our guests privacy and that should never happen.
I hope if your travels find you in the area again you will think of us first. Thank you for discovering us.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. I stayed here weekly for 6 months back in 2010, and the experience is still consistently positive and what you would expect from this Marriott chain. My first choice is always the Grand (it's classy, well-located, and I like the free gym access); unfortunately, it was out of my company's price range for this trip.

Many will not like the location of this hotel. You're on the edge of the downtown area close to the river. However, I like not having to navigate the maze of one way streets, parking is easy (no garage, just a simple lot, $14 / day), and it's easy for me to get in and out of the city. The center of downtown and light rail is really not that far and I enjoy the short walk, even in winter.

The hotel features retro train / railroad decor, because the depot used to be a railroad station. The rooms are decent size. Mine was spotlessly clean. Wifi is available at a charge. Complimentary Aveda products are provided. My room was on the 5th floor along a side street. I did experience some noise from snow plows, so I would recommend earplugs if you are sensitive to that. The room was right by the elevator, but I did not experience any hallway noise.

The hotel has a nice bar area where you can drink and eat. There's a restaurant, but I did not use it. Room service has decent offerings, but the food was average. Like most Marriotts, there's a small "store" selling snacks and toiletries. There's a Subway and Caribou Coffee across the street.

Overall, no complaints. I'll continue to stay here when I can't stay at the Grand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. You are correct on all counts, we are slightly on the outskirts of the center of the city but this lends itself to easy access in and out. You also pointed out the light rail station 3 blocks away. In a short walk you can be in the airport in 20 minutes and the Mall of America in 25 minutes. In addition to our ground lot we also have one of a few underground heated parking ramps in the city. The elevators from the parking go directly to your guest room floors. No need to step outside.

Again, thank you for discovering us and hope you stay again soon. Darryn Maloney
Victoria, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed as we had an event at the depot, we live in MN so are very framiliar with the area. The location isn't quite in the heart of everything but in the summer would be ok, in the winter I would choose another location.

The hotel and rooms are very outdated and need a good update! I was disappointed that this is a Renaissance! The service was good and helpful but it's a really weird lobby and your not quite sure where to go. Our room was TINY, especially for minneapolis, normally the rooms are larger, it also wasn't that clean and seemed dusty. Overall I was very disappointed in this hotel, stay somewhere else in minneapolis!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel and especially our rooms and you didn't expereince that. From your description you were in one of our standard rooms. Being a historic property, we have a number of rooms of different sizes and configurations. It Benefits the traveler as we can meet a wide range of needs.

If your travels find you in the area again I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney