“Excellent place for a wedding block!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
San Diego, California, United States
“Excellent place for a wedding block!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had our out-of-town wedding guests book at The Depot since our wedding was down the street. The staff here was excellent to us! They made the room block process incredibly simple and my guests all had rave reviews about the customer service they experienced. My husband and I also stayed here in one of their suites which was gorgeous and very comfortable.

Some highlights ...
I brought some surprise drinks to be placed in my in-laws room for their arrival. The concierge manager, a woman who's name is currently escaping me (sorry!) took them from me and said she'd take care of it. I got a call from my in laws who were so excited to have a knock on their door and my drinks delivered to them on a lovely platter with glasses and all the fixings. So sweet!

The staff slipped a congrats note under our door which we found when we got back from the wedding. It was such a nice touch! Wine and cheese was also delivered to our room before the wedding which was so lovely.

The breakfast at the restaurant is fantastic!

The whole place is great for wedding party getting ready pictures.

Thanks Depot for helping making our wedding perfection!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for your great review. I am glad to hear our staff made your staff special. Thank you for discovering us. I hope we see you again when in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Really relaxing stay. I got one of the suites and the floor and room were so quiet and relaxing, even with a conference going on elsewhere in the hotel. The bar and restaurant service were pleasant. Walleye Reuben was different than I'd had before, and delicious. It would have been nice if the club lounge wasn't closed Friday and Saturday, not sure why that would be..

• 5 of 5 stars
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for discovering us. You mentioned the Walleye Rueben, our chef developed it a couple years ago and it's become a property favorite. The club lounge is available Sunday night to Friday morning for our Marriott Elite members and club level guests. hopefully your next time staying with us you can enjoy the lounge.

Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again if your travels find you in the area.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a charming hotel which is attached to the old train station in Minneapolis. There is a mini museum in the lobby area of the hotel which gives some background to the history of the train station. Love the "ghost" figures of the different types of travelers who have gone through the station over the years.

It is a bit difficult getting into and out of the hotel when you are traveling by car - there isn't a large area for drop off and pickup but the parking is great. The rooms were very nice and clean as the "hotel" part is quite new. Nice stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Great comments and review.I'm glad you enjoyed the history of the building. The gentleman that donated all the train memorabilia is local and sometimes you can find him looking things over and making sure everything is in good shape. He also enjoys educating people on the history of The Depot when he's around.
Our front entrance is small but out valet and bellman are quick to help anyone who needs it so you can get you on your way quickly.

Thank you for discovering us.
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good location for Downtown. 3 blocks to airport train station. (The train to the airport is a wonderful service. Costs $2.50, is warm, safe, and fast.) Impersonal and stuffy check in experience. Good bartender and server staff. Food and beverage are above average with good selection and presentation. Average rooms. Did not receive any upgrade or acknowledgement of Marriott gold elite status. Decor is pretty cool, with huge railroad maps and memorabilia. Concierge level had fruit, cheese, granola bars, coffee/tea, light snacks, and you could purchase beer. Funny to watch all the other cheapskates walk out with an apple, granola bar, and plate of cheese.

• 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review and comments. I'm sorry that the check in processes was not what you expected. Our Marriott Elite members are very important to us and we appreciate their commitment. I will discuss this with our Director of guest service and make sure we do all we can to show our appreciation to our Elite guests.

You pointed out a hidden gem of our property. The light rail three blocks away takes you directly into the airport terminal in 25 minutes and at a nominal fee. It's very convenient.

Thank you for staying with us!
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The room itself is very nice, but the noise that came from the hallway and the street made for a poor night's sleep. I've stayed in dozens of hotels and this was one of the worst for sound proofing.
The sink is in the main part of the room, rather than with the toilet/shower, which I dislike unless I am the only one staying in the room. Parking is $15 for self park, though it is in a heated garage.
Internet is $9.95; I have a hard time understanding why one and two star hotels offer free Internet, yet better hotels charge for it.
On the plus side, the room was spacious and comfortable with a nice black-out shade. I stayed here because I went to a meeting held there. If you have to stay at this hotel, ask for a room on an upper floor near the end of the hallway.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review and comments. I'm sorry for the noise level you experienced during your stay. Our goal is for every traveler to have a relaxful stay with us. We are very accommodating to requests for quiter sides and areas. Being a historic hotel we have many long hallways with twists and turns. We strive to locate the traveler in the location that best fits their needs.

Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope you'll discover us again if your travels find you in our area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I spent 6 nights over New Years at this hotel in one of the historic suites. The room was a nominal upcharge for the spectacular comfort. I had a jacuzzi tub, exquisite decor, and 12 foot ceilings. The bed was very comfortable and warm. The blackout curtains were perfect for this jetlagged traveler.

Room service was not good. I put my breakfast order out as I had a guest meeting me for breakfast one morning and the order never arrived. When I called down they told me they forgot about it and would be bringing up. After it finally got there, they took a whopping 10% off. I was not pleased. I ordered a hummus dish one evening that arrived on time and was tasty though.

There is a big alert that should be posted for the traveler without children... THIS HOTEL HAS LOTS OF KIDS. I was not bothered as the suites are cornered off. But getting to the lobby was like walking through an elementary school. Also, this hotel is very close to the stadium so it has lots of fans staying there on game weekends.

All in all a B+ experience.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We appreciate your review. I’m glad we could offer a great room for such an extended stay with us. The room you stayed in was once was the offices for the railroad and each one is unique. I am sorry to hear your room service order was missed. I have looked into the situation and can assure you this isn’t a normal occurrence.
You make a great point about the amount of children and families here over New Year’s Eve. This is not a typical period of time for our hotel. Holidays and weekends are very family friendly and we’re known for being a great staycation. On your stay we also had the Vikings versus Green Bay game which added to the family attraction. On the weekdays, we are business oriented. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again when you’re in the area.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on Sun, Dec. 30 during a very busy time prior to the Vikings/ Packers game. We booked a regular room but asked to upgrade to the skating package. At first the woman helping us said that she didn't think we could upgrade because that needed to be booked in advance but she said she would check on it (and she actually did). She and another gentleman working the desk upgraded us to a package and sent us on our way. They were both so friendly, helpful and positive that I walked away and said to my husband 'best customer service ever!' The valet workers were also spot on so another added customer service bonus. Our room was comfortable, clean and nicely appointed. We didn't use the waterpark but did take advantage of the skating. The room package allowed the kids to come and go from skating as long as our stay lasted. There is a ballroom next to the rink that is absolutely stunning (doors were open so we took a peek). And the heated parking garage is an awesome perk during our frigi winters. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I’m glad our staff was quick to react and we were able to meet your family’s needs while you were here. One of the unique points of our property is you never know what you’re going to discover around the next corner. We hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again!