“Customer Service Horrible!”

Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
“Customer Service Horrible!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Reservation process was horrible 3 phone calls to straighten it out! Check in was just as bad the guy had no clue what he was doing! The next morning I was Billed incorrectly and spent the next 30 minutes straightening that out. ( I am glad I had brought my email confirmation with the correct amount) The only positive staff member I met was Marissa who was very helpful! The room itself was clean and as expected. but very loud my children did not sleep at all and the front desk was able to do nothing. The water park was great and alot of fun but the life guards are not kid friendly at all they are very disrepectful to kids! So overall I paid over $200 dollars for a less than enjoyable stay to have my time wasted and my kids disrespected.!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Krista C.

I am disappointed to read your review. I have sent you a message so I can follow up on the items you noted in your review. Your experience is not our standards and we will do what we need to do to make it right.

I hope we can show you our commitment to making it right and you feel confident in making a decision to stay with us again if your travels find you in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is one of the best places we have ever stayed. We went with our children for a 2 night stay. Yes the parking was pricy and the bottle of water was $3 in the room,but the positivity outweighs the small hickups. We will go back again, We were honored the military rate and cannot wait to stay again. The room was spectacular and clean!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. We love any review that starts with " Best Stay Ever". I hope you discover us again when your travels find you in our area.
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We recently attended a wedding in Minneapolis and stayed here. We were very disappointed in the room and the hotel. I know this might sound petty, but there is no room safe. As we were attending a wedding, I wanted to keep some things in a safe. I did not feel like going to the front desk every time I wanted to change earrings. Also, there were blinds on the window and no curtain. The wood blind might look nice, but it doesn't shut out any early morning light. The towels were spare and stiff.

On the good side, the staff was terrific, even if the valet gave us wrong directions every time we asked. The front desk staff was much better at knowing the city.

We have another wedding in Minneapolis next year and we will find another place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank fran32
Thank you for your review. The Staff and I appreciate any and all feedback we get. I'm sorry that a couple items during your stay didn't meet your needs and weren't up to our standards. We are looking at the possibility of getting safes in all our guest rooms. We know that this would be a nice convenience to our guests. Until then we will continue to offer the key controlled security boxes at the front desk complimentary. I will also pass on to the proper departments your comments about the wood blinds as well as the amount and quality of our bath towels.

Finally, I will follow up with our valet company and ensure they have the proper information on area locations and directions. The Renaissance brand builds it's self on the motto “Live Life to Discover". All employees are expected to be the local experts on places to go and how to get there.

We truly hope that you give us another chance if you find yourself in the area again. I appreciate the feedback.
Eveleth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent a girls weekend at Depot Renaissance. This hotel is clean and classy, not big on amenities but I LOVE the Marriott beds. Parking was not a problem and rates were reasonable. Our trip was planned to see a show in the theater district and we were within walking distance but not in the heart of downtown. Attached to water park which we did not check out. Overall out stay was very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diana051
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Thank you for staying with us.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Depot since we were involved in an event there. We wanted a convenient place to change clothes and crash after the event.

We reserved one of the junior "historic" suites. It was a very nice room indeed - a true suite (with a separate bedroom space), comfortable beds, and a nice bathroom.

We were just there the one evening, so it is hard to speak to any of the rest of the hotel's service. But maid service seemed to be decent, as was security.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. We have fantastic historic suites we're very proud of. They once served as the offices for the functioning Milwaukee Road Depot . All of them are unique and filled with historic memorabilia. Thank you for choosing us. We hope you experience us again.
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stay at this hotel approximately 2-3 times yearly. It's easily accessed from I-94 and is close to public transportation. It was the host hotel for an event that was being held across the street. We usually have no problems at this hotel and recommend it to others. This time, however, we had a very disappointing experience.

The primary issue was having to wait 2.5 to three hours for our hotel room. We arrived at 2pm (which is an hour prior to check-in), and fortunately one of our rooms was ready (we reserved three). Given we were early, we had no problem waiting. We were informed by staff that they would call us when the other rooms were ready. So, we waited, waited, and waited some more. We ended up going down there three different times (we had somewhere to be by 5:30) to ask about the status of our room. The staff were not only unhelpful (we kept hearing "we asked housekeeping about the status and haven't heard back from them") they were dismissive.

Finally at about 4:45, I went down, and the woman assisting me says, "Yep, your room is ready. What? No one told you it was ready?" Ugh. I asked why it took so long, and she said it was because many people had an early check in. That didn't make any sense. What continued to not make sense was the fact that our rooms were right by the first room we got at 2pm. Given we were waiting up there, we were aware that housekeeping was done cleaning our rooms (as evidenced by the fact their carts were GONE) at about 3pm. Why it took over another hour to get our rooms is beyond me. I also question when we would have been informed that our rooms were ready...despite I repeatedly checked and they had two cell phone numbers to call and inform us (that they NEVER called).

I understand that things take time and waiting needs to happen sometimes, especially when a hotel is busy. However, I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of communication between staff and the dismissiveness with which this was all handled. In fact, none of the staff even so much as apologized. That is incredibly unfortunate. I would have been much less upset had they apologized and at least acted like the fact I was waiting for so long was annoying and quite an inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ndctca
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I truly appoligize for the issues you experienced at check in. We strive to ensure no one has to wait for a regardless of the number of rooms or the time of check in. We are dedicated to our guests and hope that this doesn't persuade you from staying with us in the future. Thank you for discovering us,
Kenosha, WI
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were in town for a wedding. The location is excellant, you are just a few blocks away from the river walk, designed around the flour mill history of Minneapolis that also includes a museum. Cross the river and you have your choice of any number of places to eat. The room was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. I agree with Pam T, it would have been nice to have more coffee options available in the room or hotel, but there is a coffee shop just two doors down. If your doing anything in town, wedding, ball games, etc. this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river on the fourth floor or higher.