“Great location and hotel”

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were in town for a wedding. The location is excellant, you are just a few blocks away from the river walk, designed around the flour mill history of Minneapolis that also includes a museum. Cross the river and you have your choice of any number of places to eat. The room was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. I agree with Pam T, it would have been nice to have more coffee options available in the room or hotel, but there is a coffee shop just two doors down. If your doing anything in town, wedding, ball games, etc. this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river on the fourth floor or higher.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for writing a review of The Depot Renassance Hotel Minneapolis. You hit on a number of key features that make our hotel truly unique. You mentioned the Dunn Bros coffee shop next door to us. Did you notice it's the original frieght house building of the railroad. It's an amazing building inside and out. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Checking in was great! Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. I wish they would provide more coffee in the room - or at least somewhere for the hotel guests. After 1 cup for each of us - that was it, and none available in the lobby. Had to purchase it we wanted more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your review and kind comments. I will be sure to pass them on to our associates. As a coffee drinker myself I understand your feelings and will look for solutions. As we strive for locally grown and indigenous items we serve Dunn Bros coffee in all our restaurants and banquet space. This allows us to serve the best coffee we can source.
Again, thank you for your review and we hope you come back and see us soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in one of the historic suites for 6 nights this summer with my husband and our 3 yr old son. Overall I was very happy with our choice. The hotel is beautiful and historic and there was lots of train paraphernalia for our son to enjoy. Some described the neighborhood as a little off the beaten track, but we loved that about it. It's within walking distance to pretty much anything you would need downtown and has the advantage of being right near the Mill Ruins and bridge, which are so interesting! It's also very easy to hop on 35W. The suite itself was reminiscent of days of yore, but was up to date, comfortable, and well-appointed. Huge bedroom, living room, and bathroom. We could not have been more delighted with the suite! We requested a mini fridge (there was no mini bar) and it was in our room when we arrived. We had a lot of fun at the indoor waterpark one of the days...and I guess we lucked out because it wasn't crowded at all.

I would have given this place 5 stars, but was disappointed by the customer service in some areas. The wireless fee doesn't cover 24 hrs from the time you purchase it and this isn't transparent. It goes from noon to noon, so I ordered it at 10am and then was prompted to pay again at 12:30pm. When I called the front desk to ask that the charge be reversed, they were adamant about not reversing it and suggested I instead go to the lobby where I could enjoy free wireless during my entire stay. Meanwhile, I have a toddler I need to take care of in our room. We were spending a lot of money on a suite for 6 nights and they couldn't reverse a nominal fee? We called the internet provider who then called the hotel who then reversed the charge. Second, the room service folks don't exactly give you the heads up that an 18% service charge is already included, so we wayyyy over-tipped a couple of times before figuring it out. This is something we should have looked out for I suppose, but it would have been a common courtesy for the staff to point out we'd tipped 40% on a bill. I'm a stickler for great service when traveling. It doesn't take a lot and people will return if you go the extra step.

All that said, I'd give them another try when visiting Minneapolis again because the facilities and location are top-notch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We strive to give the best possible service to our guests. I have made a note of the items you pointed out and will be addressing them.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our organization just had a meeting of about 160 at the Depot and it was as good as any I have ever attended. Meeting rooms were excellent and the spaces flowed together well. Service was teriffic; truly an outstanding staff! Rooms were very comfortable. The food was ok but not up the the standard of everything else. (If you stay at Marriotts you will understand. Food looks good but most of it has little flavor.) We had some events in special locations nearby which were very attractive and easy to walk to. The location near the river offered nice walks and scenery. I would strongly recommend this property for any kind of meeting or to anyone going to Twin Cities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you discover us again when your travels find you in our area.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were in town with two teenagers looking for a good jumping off point to explore.. We found it! It is in a prime location to do most anything you could want. The beds were cushy, the room was cool and clean. And, for $$99 a night, you can't get a better deal! My only gripe... Wi-fi cost $10 to sign on after the first night.

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room, it was perfect and comfy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us. I'm glad to hear you could take advantage of that special rate while in town. As you mentioned we do have a charge for Internet wired and wireless in our guest rooms. We have complimentary Internet in our lobby area for all our guests. In addition to that we offer a business center complimentary to our guests as well. We try to meet the needs of all our guests.
We hope to see you again if your travels finds you in our area. Thank you for discovering us!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had a Convention to attend in Minneapolis and needed a separate location the first week which was our vacation. The room was large, the beds comfortable , bathroom spacious and clean. A minor housekeeping problem did not keep us from enjoying our stay. Two blocks from bus route, two blocks from nice walkway by the river. Limited restaurants nearby but found several to choose from overall in the city. If more than five day stay I suggest getting a 7 day metro transit pass $22 is well worth the unlimited rides on the rail and bus system. (Cannot use on Express bus) The Hotel had a business center for computer email/internet use and a printer for use as well. Nice workout room. Coffee house next door(delightful customer service). We did not use hotel dining too busy out and about. The front desk/ bar personnel/maids handled any issue or question with a smile and very helpful. This Marrriott property is linked to the Residence Inn and we were able to use their laundry facilities. The hospitality shown was the best i have experienced in years! Kudos to all the Marriott workers.
Only con - no refrigerator would prefer for a week long stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Thank you for the great review and kind words. I will pass your compliments to the staff. On future stays we do have fridges in our club floor rooms including the historic suites. We can also bring them up upon request to the our other rooms. Our goal is to make you as comfortable as you are in your own home, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Depot Renaissance in downtown Minneapolis is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The location was perfect for exploring this very friendly, interesting and entertaining city. Every staff member was courteous and enthusiastic. They were eager to share points of interest and show directions using a map that was complimentary.

The hotel is an historic landmark and the renovated suites were so comfortable, quiet and well appointed. The price was very affordable for a suite of this quality. The lobby bar is beautiful and there is a wonderful patio as well. The only reason that I did not give this hotel 5 stars is that the food at the restaurant was only fair. The breakfast buffet is standard fare, but it is not laid out very well causing long lines with lots of confusion depending on what you wanted. Dinner was mediocre as well. The wait staff were very friendly however.

I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here in the future. However, I would go somewhere else for dinner.

Room Tip: If you are able, try to stay in an historic suite. They are in the older part of the hotel and are...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank E M
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and the wonderful comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
#11 of 52 in Minneapolis

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!