“great staff!”

Above the Falls Sports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We promote recreation in the Mississippi River Valley and share the beauty of this river and of Minneapolis with you from the unique perspective of paddling a kayak on the river. Our guided tours are perfect for birthdays, bachelor/ette parties, corporate events, and much more!! We guarantee that all of our tours have the best view of the Minneapolis that you will ever see. It is truly amazing.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The staff was very friendly, helpful and patient. Anantra got us a reservation on the same day and even helped us figure out some other things to do on our trip to Minneapolis. I had only been kayaking once on a lake for 1.5 hrs. This tour is 2.5 hours on the Mississippi River. It was a lot different kayaking on moving water. It was a lot more strenuous than I expected. The water can get tough at times, and lugging the kayaks out of the water is challenging. I would say you need to be in pretty good shape to do this. They take pictures of the group with the skyline behind the group. I am looking forward to having that memento.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I want to thank Bob and staff for an awesome day of paddling on the Mississippi! We were taken up river about 10 miles, had a brief paddling tutorial, then my group and our three guides set off down the river. It was a beautiful sunny day and although I was told the river was high it was a very relaxing, easy ride. We traveled past a heron rookery which was cool because we were so close you could see all the nests and hear all the chatter. Over half way through our trip we stopped at Psycho Suzies for a snack and a drink which was much appreciated because the rest felt good. After that it was a short trip until we arrived at our destination back to the shop which was a short walk from the river. I can't wait to go again! An awesome way to spend a beautiful day! p.s. If Bob offers you a hat you'd better take it!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The best way to experience Minneapolis and feel the heartbeat of the city, the Mississippi, is in a kayak. The folks at Above the Falls did an amazing job. Whether visitor or local, this is a must do experience. Crossing the river in the middle of the city with the skyline in the background, truly a wow!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have been on 2 tours with Above the Falls Sports. Both times were enjoyable and I walked away feeling invigorated. The first trip had a faster pace, and the second was more relaxed, so I it's good to know the guides are in tune with the fitness and overall ability of the group.

It was also really great to get a background on the wildlife that inhabits that stretch of the Mississippi - Bob was a wealth of information about the birds and the water creatures. There was also a good amount of information on Minneapolis and the people who populated the river banks.

Fun times, there is always something very peaceful about getting on the water.

1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having a scientific meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, I decided to find a possibility to paddle the Mississippi river, which is probably the dream of every water-addicted boy ever reading the novels of Mark Twain. Thanks to the internet and the Minneapolis city magazin I figured out that “above the falls sports” from Bob Schmitz is renting kayaks. One email later, I had a kayak and a watertight date at 16th of October. Even though this day was predicted with cloudy and rainy weather high clouds disappeared and a wonderful sunny day developed. After getting a kayak I started in down-town Minneapolis to explore the upstream Mississippi. Passing the Minneapolis harbor area led me to the natural Mississippi area characterized by flat waters, river flats, wide river banks, easy rapids and beautiful nature. Unexpected impressions. Reading the Mississippi river guide I understood that paddling the region of Minneapolis/St. Paul is the best place to experience the various characters of the Mississippi: a broad flat quickly flowing river upstream of Minneapolis, the gorgeous canyon to St. Paul following the Minneapolis river falls, and the wide southern stream after joining the Minnesota river. After passing a few easy rapids, I reached Coon Rapids dam in a 12 miles journey. A short break later I was back downstream now passing the rapids more speedy as before. Until the end of this 5 hour trip weather remained sunny and after 24 miles I was back in down-town Minneapolis. Thanks for this exhaustive and wonderful day on the Mississippi waters.

3  Thank paul p

Been to Above the Falls Sports? Share your experiences!