“An amazing experience above the Falls!”

Above the Falls Sports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We promote recreation in the Mississippi River Valley and share the beauty of this river and of Minneapolis with you from the unique perspective of paddling a kayak on the river. Our tours are perfect for birthdays, bachelor/ette parties, corporate events, and much more!! We guarantee that our Working The Channel tour has the best view of the Minneapolis Skyline that you will ever see. It is truly amazing.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“An amazing experience above the Falls!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The best way to experience Minneapolis and feel the heartbeat of the city, the Mississippi, is in a kayak. The folks at Above the Falls did an amazing job. Whether visitor or local, this is a must do experience. Crossing the river in the middle of the city with the skyline in the background, truly a wow!

Visited May 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fitness plus nature”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have been on 2 tours with Above the Falls Sports. Both times were enjoyable and I walked away feeling invigorated. The first trip had a faster pace, and the second was more relaxed, so I it's good to know the guides are in tune with the fitness and overall ability of the group.

It was also really great to get a background on the wildlife that inhabits that stretch of the Mississippi - Bob was a wealth of information about the birds and the water creatures. There was also a good amount of information on Minneapolis and the people who populated the river banks.

Fun times, there is always something very peaceful about getting on the water.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Laura M
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Mississippi kayaking Minneapolis”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having a scientific meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, I decided to find a possibility to paddle the Mississippi river, which is probably the dream of every water-addicted boy ever reading the novels of Mark Twain. Thanks to the internet and the Minneapolis city magazin I figured out that “above the falls sports” from Bob Schmitz is renting kayaks. One email later, I had a kayak and a watertight date at 16th of October. Even though this day was predicted with cloudy and rainy weather high clouds disappeared and a wonderful sunny day developed. After getting a kayak I started in down-town Minneapolis to explore the upstream Mississippi. Passing the Minneapolis harbor area led me to the natural Mississippi area characterized by flat waters, river flats, wide river banks, easy rapids and beautiful nature. Unexpected impressions. Reading the Mississippi river guide I understood that paddling the region of Minneapolis/St. Paul is the best place to experience the various characters of the Mississippi: a broad flat quickly flowing river upstream of Minneapolis, the gorgeous canyon to St. Paul following the Minneapolis river falls, and the wide southern stream after joining the Minnesota river. After passing a few easy rapids, I reached Coon Rapids dam in a 12 miles journey. A short break later I was back downstream now passing the rapids more speedy as before. Until the end of this 5 hour trip weather remained sunny and after 24 miles I was back in down-town Minneapolis. Thanks for this exhaustive and wonderful day on the Mississippi waters.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank paul p
Bellevue, Nebraska
“Totally worth the money and time!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My college roommate and I wanted to do something different for our girl's weekend and this experience did not disappoint. Our guides, Tom and Theo, were great. They were personable and knowledgeable. We paddled for nearly 4 hours, ending in the rain, but the view of Minneapolis from the Mississippi is something one should certainly experience!

Visited August 2012
Shakopee, Minnesota
“Family fun!”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We just took an afternoon tour and had a fabulous time!
We had ages in our family(6 of us) ranging from our 16yr old son, experienced boy-scout kayaker to our adventurous mom in her early 70's. We had a great first-time kayaking experience. Bob is extremely knowledgeable and he and his staff tailored our tour to our experience levels to make us feel very comfortable on the river. We will definitely want to do this again and explore other areas!

Visited June 2012

Been to Above the Falls Sports? Share your experiences!