“Last minute honeymoon stay”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis MN
“Last minute honeymoon stay”
Reviewed March 23, 2007

I adore this hotel!! My maid of honor booked a room at a holiday inn suites in minneapolis for our first two nights of our honeymoon, and when we got to the hotel, they said that our reservation was never made, eventhough it was and we had a confirmation number. Sorry to say, holiday inn left me in my wedding dress frustrated with no room, and did not offer me any type of room to make up for their mistake. I called my dad, who said to just have the limo take us to the grand hotel, he knew he could get us a room. So we did, we arrived, and they not only had set up a room for us, but they gave us our first night free... They also gave us a complimentary fruit plate (which was amazing). The bathrooms had Aveda products, which really impressed me, my husband could have cared less.. haha. There was a beautiful stone shower and extremely large tub, with a television. The bathroom was very spacious, the mini bar was stocked with not only alchohol, but other tasty drinks. The sushi at night was wonderful, even for my husband who can't usually stand sushi. The front desk and hotel staff were VERY polite and professional. The spa is worth the money, and the fitness center was perfect for my husband's fitness obsession. All in all, the hotel was amazing!!!

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Turkish first
Duluth
Reviewed February 11, 2007

Have stayed at this hotel in the heart of downtown Minneapolis about 10 times over the last 8 months and agree with the previous reviewer that without a doubt there is not a nicer place to stay while enjoying what Minneapolis has to offer. Lobby is quiet and elegant, and front desk staff are always professional and accomodating to any request.

Grand rooms are very large and extremely comfortable and you rarely hear anything in the hallways. Housekeeping and turndown staff are incredible, keeping the rooms very tidy without ever bothering you. Room service is excellent as well and is always prompt and polite. They also have recently added LCD flat-panel televisions in the rooms which is a very nice touch.

Bathrooms are great, with separate showers and tvs above the tub. Free high-speed wireless access is also a plus.

Room rates are very comparable with what you would pay at other high-end hotels in the area and I have stayed in them all. You will not be disappointed in selecting the Grand Hotel when visting Minneapolis either for business or pleasure.

• Liked — Rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank kmnduluth
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed January 21, 2007

The Grand is undoubtedly the nicest Minneapolis hotel I've stayed in (I've tried a few). Even the standard rooms are spacious, and they are comfortably furnished. They decorate each of the rooms with historic photographs, articles, and other documents, which gives them a nice old-fashioned feel. I've stayed at the Grand about 5 or 6 times now, and each room configuration has been different, but the furnishings are pretty much always the same. The hotel is small and intimate, which is nice -- the downside to this is that it often fills up quickly during busy periods.

The service is extremely professional and competent -- some of the folks there can seem a little snooty, but they all seem to know what they're doing, so I can't fault them too much for that. I'll take competent and snobby over clueless and down-to-earth any day.

The restaurant, Martini BLU, is outstanding. I never expected to find such good sushi in Minneapolis, and the other food (mostly Western) is also well done. Room service dining is of consistently good quality, especially the room-service continental breakfast in the mornings.

I like the free high-speed internet, and I really like the huge gym on the 4th floor. It's a complete athletic club, and my sense is that the vast majority of folks who work out there are local members rather than hotel guests. One small gripe: the club's hours are somewhat limited, especially on the weekends. Arriving from the west coast, I sometimes don't make it to the hotel in time to work out before the gym closes.

Location is perfect, right in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. It's connected to the skyway system, so in the winter, you don't even have to go outside.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Monterone
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2006

Booked two rooms. One a more expensive corner with a "view" and a higher price. I arrived a day before my guest and was shown the room she was to have. Fine. When she checked in the next day they had assigned her a room with a view of a wall. Response of hotel was we don't guaranty rooms. No price adjustment, no apology, nothing but rudeness. I sent a letter to management but not even the courtesy of a response.

My room had no, I mean no place for toiletries. Small to say the least.

Restaurant is terrible, parking is worse.

You are paying only for pretentiousness.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank srqbill
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2006

I stayed for two nights at the Grand. The staff were very friendly and helpful. the hotel had a different 'Old School' look and feel. It had nice stuff like 'Wake Up with Coffee' , 'Free shoe shine' etc. But I did feel that it was a little expensive at $249 a night. But the other hotels were similarly priced as well.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Join the Preferred Group for a free upgrade. Doesn't need any status. just membership
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank SiddMoras
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed October 23, 2006

I spent about 6 weeks staying at the Grand Hotel throughout 2006 for business on 4 separate occasions. Each experience was top notch - from the front desk, to the health club, to the room service. Each room I had was a little bit different.

On the first trip I was in a really small room, but the three times after that the rooms were much larger, so I would request that you NOT be placed in one of their tiny rooms (they all went for the same price). I read earlier that the staff was rude, but I completely disagree. The front desk, the concierge, the bellmen, room service, everyone was great! They bring you a complimentary cup of coffee and water in the morning with wake-up calls, which was a great way to get my days going. Valet is kind of a pain because you have to walk down the street - bad for cold days. The sushi restaurant is good, but kind of slow. I'd recommend hitting some of the better restaurants in the area, especially since you can get to them by walking the skyway (which is directly connected to the hotel). And, yes, the healthclub is full service, fully staffed and great! If you're a jogger, you can get the Mississippi River quite easily and jog across the bridges and trails.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — The View
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank yekaneraul
Boston
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We stayed at the Grand Hotel over the Columbus Day weekend. We were very impressed.

First, the service was excellent. The check-in desk is quite small, and perhaps could get backed up during a very busy period, but it ran very smoothly while we were there. The staffers were young, friendly, articulate, and helpful. The doormen were extremely attentive and friendly as well.

We stayed in a corner suite on the 9th floor. We paid about $500 a night, which is quite a lot for Minneapolis in the fall, but the room was about 700 square feet, had a full-size dining room table, king bed, two TVs, a great shower, and other amenities. We also enjoyed the little perks--newspapers delivered to the room, free shoe shines, use of the adjacent athletic club facilities, etc. My only tiny complaint is the same one I have at many, many hotels--minibars that are so outrageously overpriced it's an insult. This one had a bottle of water for nine dollars! Give me a break--why can't hotels price items at $2-3 and make a mere 100-200% profit rather than debasing themselves and guests with such extreme gouging?!

But I digress. One other note about the room--we are very sensitive to noise, and I can say I never heard anyone walking on the floor above us, or in the adjacent rooms, or on the street below. That is a huge, huge plus in my book. As mentioned we did have a large corner suite on the 9th floor and I can't speak to smaller rooms closer to the street, but my general impression was that this is a quiet, well insulated building.

The hotel is very centrally located. It's a good place to ditch the car and walk to the nearby Metrodome, museums, and other attractions. If you do have a car consider parking options; we rented a car one day and parked it in a nearby garage for $10 rather than pay a lot more valet parking at the hotel.

Overall, I had no real complaints about this hotel. The rooms and location are great, the staff tries very hard, and the overall stay is very, very comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple