“Service not up to the class of the hotel”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, GA
“Service not up to the class of the hotel”
Reviewed July 11, 2005

I just returned from a stay at the Grand. I was in town for a software convention and decided to book the Grand after reading the reviews on this hotel. I was able to get a good rate on an upgraded Atrium Premier room with a soaking tub. The room was excellent. There was no view (just of an inside atrium area), but that didn't really matter. The bed was wonderful and I loved watching the TV while soaking in the tub. My complaint was that the service in general was inconsistent. Sometimes it was what I expected from an upscale hotel and sometimes it wasn't. For example, they have an outside set of doors, a set of stairs and then an inside set of doors to get to the lobby. There is a person at each door to open it for you. But, several times when I was carrying my heavy rolling computer bag (I am a small female), they just opened the door and watched me struggle to get it up the stairs. They didn't even attempt to help me. There was 1 bellman who would help me when he was working, but the others just stood there. Maybe if I paid them they would have helped, but I thought this should have been just general courtesy. Not what I call excellent service. Also, there is only 1 vending machine in the hotel where you can get a bottle of water at a reasonable price (not like in the room minibar). They ran out of water the 1st day of my stay and the front desk just blew me off. Said it wasn't their machine and if I didn't want the Evian in the mini-bar, I should get water before returning to the hotel. Not very nice. Also, it was an unusually hot couple of days in Minneapolis (95-97). The air conditioning in my room wouldn't cool the room very well. I called to complain and in turn found my AC turned completely off! I awoke at 2am sweating to death. I called the front room and they said they would have someone look into it in the AM. So I had a terrible, hot night's sleep. Finally the next morning the AC started working and everything was fine. But, again, not what I expect from a luxury hotel. The general attitude from the front desk staff was "who cares...". The room itself and the general atmosphere of the hotel would definately bring me back again, but I wouldn't pay full price. You can get better service from a much cheaper hotel.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank Julie513

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed June 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed there in January 2004 and found it to be one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at. Mind you, we stay at a lot of really nice hotels and this one was first class. The staff was amazing, the rooms comfy and well decorated, the bathrooms pretty with Aveda products galore, and a bed that you just never want to get out of. Lots of down and high thread count sheets! We will stay at this hotel again the next time we are in MInneapolis.

• Stayed January 2004
6 Thank ggpigott
Nationwide Traveler
Reviewed May 16, 2005

I recently stayed at this hotel and was greatly impressed. I travel around the country staying at various hotels, so it's hard to get me to notice a hotel. This hotel stood out way above any other hotels I've stayed at before. The room was enormous, the staff very responsive, the workout facility HUGE, the internet connection great (like being at home) and the room service was great. They even threw in a compliementary shoe shine if you wanted it.

The only drawback I saw was the price. Everything cost more then your normal chain hotels but it's worth the increase in price. I was able to stay here because the office I was working at (right next door) had a prearringed price of $179 a night. Normally the rooms are around $330 a night or something.

If you can take a Saturday night off and want a date night with your spouse in Minneapolis ... then this is the place to do it. Or if you can squeeze in during the business week (not many rooms in this hotel).

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Adogg
maryland
Reviewed March 27, 2005

We stayed here for two nights at a weekend rate of $129 and found it to be an excellent value and the perfect antidote to the convention hotels elsewhere in Minneapolis. Our room was tastefully decorated, wonderfully quiet and large, particularly the lovely bathroom, which had a nice size tub. Toiletries are by Aveda. Service was also outstanding. The desk staff was friendly and the housekeeping staff was wonderful. Turndown service comes with Godiva mints and a full icebucket, wakeup calls come with morning coffee delivered to your room. We didn’t try the restaurant but worked out twice in the fabulous health club—I’m a big time gym rat and this was one of the nice gyms I’ve ever seen. I agree that the valet parking around the corner (due to a bus lane in front of the hotel) was annoying. We were able to find on street parking. Also, I was struck by the small flights of steps throughout the hotel—if you have limited mobility the steps could be an obstacle. Finally, while the bed was quite comfortable it does not compare with a Westin heavenly bed or what I’ve seen at the Ritz—they should add featherbeds or pillowtop mattresses. But in spite of that I would return without hesitation. It was a great weekend getaway.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank booklover
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 15, 2005

My wife and I stayed at The Grand Hotel March 11 and 12th 2005.
Top notch staff. They even brought us coffee at 1 am in the morning!
Always willing to help and with a smile.
The rooms were large and classy! The bathroom with a shower and deep soaking tub was what the doctor ordered :) We ate our breakfasts both days at their blu restaurant. Nice food and staff!
A beautiful weekend at the Grand! Did not see any super stars. The real stars were the employees!

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank BobHollMusic
charleston
Reviewed December 11, 2004

This hotel is a class act. The rooms are large - in fact the bathroom as large as a NYC hotel room. The appointments are first class & the service suitable for royalty. There are no negatives that I experienced.

I spend about 45 nights a year in hotels & this one would rank on the order of the Mayflower in DC, the Don Cesar in St. Peteresburg or the Williamsburg Inn - not in terms of historical prominence but in terms of class.

3 Thank jdf3361