“Great Minneapolis Hotel!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hudson
“Great Minneapolis Hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was thrilled to see The Grand had become a Kimpton hotel. This "chain" of boutique hotels is outstanding and I have never been disappointed when staying at one. Rooms are of superior quality from the linens to the decor and sound proof from the hallway noises. Our stay in Minneapolis was the best ever at this hotel. Stayed at Le Meridian a few weeks ago and it just cannot compete with the service and accommodations at The Grand. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: No such thing as a bad room here!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank woj59976
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear woj59976: Yes, Kimpton took over management of The Grand just a couple years ago and we are so delighted to introuduce Kimpton to Minneapolis! I love that you're a Kimpton fan. We are definitely a different kind of hotel company. We're fun and quirky and pride ourselves on making genuine connections with our guests. We don't hire robots! Thank you for cheering for us! We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
Tracy, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I live about 3 hours Southwest of Minneapolis/St Paul and travel to the Twin Cities a few times a year. Those travels take me to various parts of city, but if I need to be anywhere in the downtown area, I always stay at the The Grand Hotel. Over the years, I've had the opportunity to 'try them all'; certainly all the hotels in the Minneapolis Downtown area. Here's why the Grand Hotel is different.

Room Service - is exceptional EVERY TIME we've stayed there. The food is consistently good and its arrives to you in a timely manner.

Accommodations - The Grand Hotel was very nice before the recent renovations, but obviously that much nicer how. Contemporary, yet classic, and the rooms are complimented with excellent bed linens, pillows, etc.

Pet Friendly - although I do not take advantage of this, it is amazing to me that a hotel of this quality allows for small pets. On a recent business trip, my associate and his family brought their (very small) dog, and the hotel was more than accommodating.

There is really nothing negative about the hotel that I can think of, drawing from our numerous experiences; if I had to pick something, it would be a lack of views of downtown. There are rooms within the hotel that provide this, but you really need to make sure to ask for one. Every time we were placed on a room without a decent view, a desk clerk was up to our room within 5 minutes to assist with our bags, and keys to our new room.

I would recommend, without hesitation, staying at the Grand.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank b8tovene
Dear b8tovene: Thank you for always choosing us when you have so many options downtown. I love that we've made an impression on you! Our Chef, Kris Koch is responsible for all of the food served through room service, banquets and The Six15 Room. It is absolutely delicious! I'm glad that you are a fan of the renovation. The design team couldn't have done a better job. As a Kimpton hotel, we accommodate all types of guests, even the furry ones! We provide dog/cat beds, bowls, treats - you name it, we have it. We focus on personalizing each guests stay, so if you want a higher floor with a view, just say so and we'll make it happen. I appreciate your loyalty to us! See you soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We found this by accident....and absolutely loved it. It was so nice and sooooo different from an ordinary hotel. I felt like our room and bathroom had been done by a professional decorator and was part of a private elegant home... not just a room. I love to swim and also was very pleased with the workout facilities and pool... the nicest I have seen in a downtown hotel. The staff was very friendly and the lemon martini ...original recipe was great. The only problem with staying here is that it has made me dissatisfied with other hotel chains like... well I won't say but they are everywhere and very nice... but not exceptional like this one was. Too bad family has room for us next visit.

Room Tip: I loved ours.. it overlooked the street and was about 5 floors up...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KarenW55AnnArbor
Dear KarenW55AnnArbor: What a lovely review! Truly incredible. Thank you. I'm ecstatic that you loved the guest room and bathroom decor. We completed a multi million dollar renovation and the designers did a phenomenal job. If you liked the lemon martini in The Six15 Room, you should try our array of other specialty cocktails. Our bartenders are so creative and they are constantly coming up with new recipes. Since you will be staying with family when you return, please come visit us in The Six15 Room for happy hour. Ask for Eddie, Sean or Scott and they will take special care of you. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Being a frequent traveler to Minneapolis I have stayed in a few hotels. This one was easily the nicest! From the time we arrived until the time we left everyone was friendly, accommodating, helpful and attentive. Our room was one of the nicest and cleanest we have seen and the bed was extremely comfortable. We were minutes away from several things downtown and loved the surrounding area. Will return for sure.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Taylor P
Dear Taylor P: Love the title of your review! I think so too! I appreciate your comment about the cleanliness. We actually have some of the highest housekeeping scores in the company and take great pride in that. Thanks for noticing! We can't wait for your return. Thank you!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

When traveling for Business, I always try to book a Kimpton Hotel and The Grand in Minneapolis is one of the best. The location and accessibility to the Skyway is perfect and I love the boutique atmosphere. I would definitely choose The Grand over a large chain for a superior hotel experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Susiejhicks
Dear susiejhicks: Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels and The Grand! It's true, we do offer a superior hotel experience compared to the large chains. We pride ourselves on making a genuine connection with each guest and only hire people that are capable of doing so. If you haven't visited our lounge, the Six15 Room, you should try it next time you stay. The team that runs the lounge, Eddie, Sean and Scott are amazing and always create an enjoyable atmosphere. The food and cocktails are something to talk about too! See you next time!
Lake Grove, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Luxurious ny style boutique hotel at a minneapolis price. All the amenities. The gym is out of this world. Great location right on the skyway. Can walk to any of the local favorites in this midwestern gem

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank mkphi75
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear mkphi75: Thank you for comparing us to a luxurious NY hotel! That is quite a compliment and we'll take it. We definitely do have a lot going for us, from the impressive gym to our convenient downtown location. When you return, be sure to check out the specialty cocktails and delicious food in The Six15 Room directly off the lobby. You won't be sorry. Thanks so much for this gleaming review!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My company is headquartered in Minneapolis so I travel there often. For years I stayed at the big chains and they were nice. Westin and Marriott are both great options for downtown Minneapolis...until I saw The Grand on my corporate travel sight. It was literally across the street and the pictures of the gym is what made me decide to stay. However, the service, atmosphere, food and decor make me choose The Grand now every time I am in Minneapolis. It is a swanky, beautiful, fun place that always makes me feel special. It is quickly becoming a home away from home every time I am in Minneapolis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Laretha H
Dear Laretha H: I love that our team always makes you feel special when you stay with us! It is our goal to make a personal connection with each guest and show you that your experience genuinely matters to us. That's what sets us apart from the big chains. Because we have only 140 rooms, we are able to dedicate the necessary attention to each and every guest we encounter. We encourage our team to be themselves and relate to our guests. Your comments prove that we are nailing it! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thanks for making The Grand your home away from home!