“Great place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is just a great hotel. As almost every Kimpton it
has style, is clean, features spacious rooms, an excellent restaurant
and very friendly employees. I really like the hospitality.
The only thing I did not like is that you can't take the toiletry articles with you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton! I'm so glad that we made you feel welcome. Because we are eco-friendly, we have the larger shampoo and conditioner bottles and pumps installed in the showers to reduce waste. However, we do have smaller bottles upon request, so feel to ask for them in the future. Thank you for the great review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We love this hotel. Great rooms and comfy beds. Just a tad off some of the others as far as location, but only by a block or two. You can go straight into the skyway so not a big deal. A bit spendy at times but if you keep an eye on it you can stay cheap. We just stayed in a single king on a Saturday night for 119. The premiere king is like your own apartment with separate shower and tub. We have stayed in several others in the downtown and this is the best. We will stay here from now on anytime we can get it for under 200 a night. If you check around the block you can usually find parking for the weekend for around 10. Only a couple blocks from the light rail and Target field also.

• Stayed October 2012
We're so glad you are a fan of the Grand! Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your future visits!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very nice hotel with exceptional staff! They offer complimentary bikes for touring the city and for the runners, they have organized group runs! The rooms are nicely decorated and beds are comfy! The food was very good and they have great happy hour options in the lobby bar.

1 Thank LHall734
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for the dazzling review! Hopefully we will see you again next time you are in Minneapolis.
Denmark
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Let me get the worst out of the way first. The breakfast concept is hopeless, dull, slow and best avoided. Dimly lit diner-style, worn, with forlorn looking people waiting for their breakfasts and trying to pass time. No good at all. When breakfast arrived it was fine, but who wants to have a long dull wait for coffee and muffins? The breakfast is so much out of step with the ambience and comfort of this hotel that you want to stop people in the lift and advise them to cross the road at have breakfast at the Crowne Plaza. Now, the rooms at the Grand Hotel are very comfortable, spacious, pleasant and with very very good sleep quality. Room service is fast, courteous, knowledgeable and the food excellent. Reception staff top quality too. The only thing about the spotlessly clean and lovely bathroom I'd change was the use of fixed-to-the-wall soap and shampoo dispensers. Do people want to carry a soap dish of shampoo from the shower to the bathtub? No, probably not. Yet, this is what you find yourself doing, probably chuckling but also wondering a little at the concept. On request, a coffee maker can be delivered to your room. I assume many guests do not know this but it is one of the tricks of the trade if you want to avoid the breakfast room. All in all I would be delighted to stay here again, put would make sure to put in a request for a coffee machine and I really would not bother with breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am so sorry about your breakfast experience at Rare. The restaurant, Rare is actually separately owned and operated, so The Grand Hotel doesn't have any influence in their operation. As you can imagine, this presents difficult situations at times. However, I know that their ownership appreciates the feedback to help them improve, so I've made them aware of your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed 3 nights for business in rm 1108 , premier king. Positives: very comfortable bed, nice size bathroom, shower and bath tub, clean, good location. Very good restaurant.
Negative: bathroom amenities: very basic (shampoo, body wash, soap) no shower cap :-( . No fridge. İphone dock maybe for iphone 1 ??? İ have to get out of bed to turn lights on/off. No usb charger, no place to charge phone near bed at night. İ was promptly provided with a curling wand per my request, but i think it was a barbie curling wand, it dint even get hot! Water in bathroom came "yellow" on my first night only. On my 1st night, i woke up to smoking smell all over my room, so disgusting, coudnt go back to sleep, spoild my whole day. No smell next night, but trace smell underneath vents in rm, smell came back on 3rd night. Reception comment on this was : "oh, im sorry". This is definitely not a luxury hotel. Totally waste of alot of money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. I’m glad that you were happy with the comfort of the bed, size of the bathroom, the restaurant and location of the hotel.

To clarify, in addition to the in-room C.O. Bigelow bath products, there is a list in each bathroom of “Forgot It We Got It” items that are available upon request. We have everything from shower caps, to USB cables to zip lock bags for your carry on liquids.

We do actually have mini bar fridges in every room. There are items for purchase in them, but there is extra space in case our guests need to refrigerate something.

As far as an outlet near the bed, all of our nightstands have built in outlets and signage to call attention to them. Each nightstand also has a lamp that is accessible from the bed.

I apologize for the unclear water. We had a plumbing emergency and had to shut the water off temporarily. When we turned the water back on, it ran unclear at first.

I apologize as well for the smell of cigarette smoke. The hotel is 100% non-smoking, but sometimes guests choose to smoke regardless. We charge a smoking fee when we know that someone has smoked in a guest room. I am so sorry that you were exposed to it. We are always happy to move guests to different rooms in situations like this.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our room was so beautiful and tastefully decorated we wanted to take it all home with us. The attention to detail was incredible from the linens, to the decor and the service. The service. Kyle and Ashley went above and beyond to help my fiancé and I celebrate and feel special. We cannot wait to return! And will bring our dog next time! This is a very special hotel. And the staff were incredible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate your kind comments about Ashley and Kyle. Our team is truly our greatest asset! I will share your comments with them. See you next time!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 7, 2012

First let me say that generally I like staying at Kimpton Hotels; I have stayed - and repeated - at their properties in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. So, I thought it was a safe bet to try their Minneapolis property. Oh, man, was I wrong. First of all, the hotel is an older hotel that was "Kimpton-ized" with their particular style of decorating. It hasn't been well kept up. When you walk into a hotel room and the lampshades are cockeyed, etc. it isn't a good sign. And it wasn't. Things were just sort of off... shower valve didn't work right, lamp switches were stubborn - little annoyances that you shouldn't have in a hotel at this price. I ordered room service - it was mediocre at best. I do want to say that the internet service rocked - I mean it was fast fast fast. Maybe that was the yin to the yang of the valet parking service...

I'm a pretty experienced traveler - to that point: I have a million mile card from American Airlines. I met a friend for breakfast and - there was not a single restaurant staff person visible for several minutes when we went to the hotel restaurant. We sat ourselves and were eventually served some very average food by the lone staffer (who was obviously not any happier to be there then we ended up being). At first we thought they might be closing because they had the lights off at one whole end of the restaurant.

When I went down to get my car from valet parking the first time they were very slow to retrieve it - I mean like 20 minutes. Bad but no big deal. When I returned at night there was no one at all to take the car. I waited 5 minutes and then finally turned on the blinkers, went in, and gave the key to desk clerk. Again, bad and below par but not ridiculous. Worth $30 a day?? I don't think so!

Then, the next morning - anticipating lameness and so allowing myself extra time to get my car from valet parking - I call well ahead and go down to find: One family who has been waiting 45 minutes for their car - which the valet can't find (they told the family it appeared that it was stolen) thus reducing the wife and daughter to tears since this was going to make them late or miss the family event they came to town for. Plus: several other people who had been waiting 30 minutes or longer outside on the sidewalk during a very cold morning (did I mention that the valet parking stand is on the SIDE of the hotel - nowhere near the front entrance?). One valet told me he'd be back with my car in 5 minutes. Eventually the hotel manager come out. Admittedly she was trying to find the cars but this combination of understaffing and incompetence was more than she could handle. ALL the valet customers were infuriated and disgusted. Fast forward: 45 minutes after calling for my car they finally found it. I had to hustle like a madman to (barely) make my flight.

Would I ever stay at this hotel again? Not in a million years. Do I trust Kimpton Hotels now? No, I do not.

3 Thank OnTheRoadAgain9225
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. If you are willing, please contact me personally. I take your feedback seriously and I would like to speak with you. I’m hoping you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.