“Love, Love, Love it Here”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I travel for business to Minneapolis pretty often and always try to stay at The Grand Hotel, a Kimpton property. I sign up for rewards programs and Kimpton has a good one. I especially like that we get a free item or two at the minibar. The place is beautifully classic and that relaxes me. I have been in quite a few different King rooms and there doesn't seem to be two of the same. Their sushi bar restaurant is a great place for a fresh meal or drink. Or its just a short walk away to the prime spots in town including Seven's rooftop. My associate enjoys the fitness center within the hotel, as she stays even more often. Walkways lead to just about everything in winter. Coffee in the lobby or up to Caribou Coffee for a latte. With easy access to everything and the ease of getting on the internet at the hotel, it makes it an easy choice for business.

Room Tip: I always try to ask for a higher room, away from the elevators and ice machine.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I decided at the last minute to make an anniversary trip to Minneapolis. We called day of and were able to get a King room at a good rate. Arrived just in time to have a glass of wine at their daily wine reception. As we checked in, the woman at the desk asked what we would like and another brought our glasses right to us at the desk. We enjoyed our wine in the funky lounge on a comfortable sofa...a great start to our evening.

Our room was fun and spotless. The bathrooms are big and clean and the towels are thick and lovely. There were cute animal print robes for us to use. We felt pampered!

Because of our quick decision, I forgot to pack a few essentials. I called the desk two separate times, and they quickly delivered the items I needed.

Morning coffee in the lobby was really good. I loved that they have umbrellas by the door, as well as dog treats. Nice touches.

The location was great for walking around downtown. All employees that we had contact with were great representatives of Kimpton Hotels and The Grand Hotel, specifically. We'll highly recommend this property to our family and friends and will return ourselves.

1  Thank mjathome
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I found out about this amazing hotel through Expedia. I was staying an additional day on my own after a conference for sightseeing and didn't want to pay the rather high special conference rate at another hotel if I could avoid it. When I saw the Kimpton name and the very reasonable nightly rate, I was intrigued and the complimentary wine reception sealed the deal!

This hotel is charming, and I loved every detail from the eclectic decor of the lobby (including a bed for canine guests) to the big four-poster bed in my room. The large and comfortable bathtub with a TV in the wall was such a welcome relief after a long day of walking. I decided to splurge on room service, which was fast and delicious (and pricy, but it always is). I only wish I was staying more than one night. Guests have access to the Lifetime Fitness Athletic Club next door which, from my brief tour, is just as luxurious as the hotel.

This hotel is also very welcoming to LGBT guests and dog owners, and that makes it even more awesome!

I don't have a single bad thing to say about the Grand Hotel. I don't know if I will ever make it back to Minneapolis, but if I do I know where I will stay, and I'll also investigate other Kimpton hotels when I travel elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Have stayed at the Grand at least 3 times. Our first trip approx 9 years ago, outstanding from reservations, to ck in, to room/bath. The reservationist recommended a corner room - in my estimation the best room, even the higher end suites. It's huge, airy, great view, and bathroom outstanding with soaking tub, walk in shower, separate room for commode and double sinks. I had forgotten to put our wine on ice. Called them, no problem - beautifully arranged when we returned from dinner.

2nd time, our wedding night 2005. Specifically asked for corner room - advised fabulous time before, wanted same type room and experience for our wedding night - NOT! Showed us to a "suite" faces an indoor, rather nasty, courtyard, with a basic bathroom with tub/shower combo, one sink with small counter and commode all in one ugly room. Very small sitting room with couch made it a "suite." Asked for the room I had reserved - none available "large wedding party." Finally, after insisting the room was simply not what we had been promised for our wedding night, and waiting 30" for the staff to talk to a manager we were moved to a very large suite. Very nice, large sitting area, separate bedroom, bath fine, but suprisingly still not as nice as the corner rooms. Staff sullen from check in (even before we knew they hadn't given us the promised room) to check out.

3rd time stayed with friends. Didn't get corner rooms, but nice, outside windows, beautiful bathrooms, but no soaking tub, and not as big as corner rooms.

Tried to book for our anniverary this summer. You can't request a room on the website, so called the hotel. Asked for a corner room. They won't guarantee. The quality of the rooms and bathrooms is so uneven, so different, despite charging the same price - I'll look for another hotel. I can live with the sullen staff if the room and bath are fabulous. Not willing to take the chance this time.

That being said, beds comfy, linens soft, rooms quiet each time I've been there. So if you're in a bind, you'll likely sleep fine regardless of the room, just won't be as wowed. Oh and be ready for sticker shock on parking...but it's probably on par with other downtown hotels.

Room Tip: Higher and outside room better. Quieter, better view. do not settle for a room with windows facing...
1  Thank jgraz6829
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Grand Hotel is a luxury hotel in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. The common areas and rooms are updated but retain the historic character of the building. The staff is sharp, pleasant and attentive. The best amenity is the use of the attached full-sized health club.

The slight negatives are some rooms are quite small and some do not have much natural light. Also, the property is valet only.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed at this property on several occasions and it ranks as a favorite in Minneapolis for me. The building itself is really old but the rooms feel modern and cozy. The décor in the lobby is modern and artsy and feels like a boutique property. The best amenity is the fact that you can use the attached Health Club in the building for free. Also, the room service is excellent! If I could change one thing it would be how you actually enter the hotel. With the strange one way streets in Minneapolis you can’t actually drop your car in from of the hotel, you have to drive around the block and look for a valet booth. Also the only way to enter the lobby is up a set of stairs which can be tough when you have heavy luggage. There is an older man that watches the door and I feel bad having him lift my luggage so I always do it my self. This doesn’t stop me from returning here but it might bother some guests. Other than that I am a fan of Kimpton properties 

Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was our first visit to Minneapolis. We were shocked by the beautiful and vibrant downtown. The Grand Hotel is well positioned in the downtown area. It was built in 1912 as the Athletic Club of Minneapolis and converted into a charming hotel. We were disappointed upon arrival as we were greeted by steps and no staff to assist us get in with our luggage. They do have a hidden lift apparently for this purpose. Our room was a nice size and well decorated. The bathroom was large and contained a large counter PLUS shelves for your toiletries. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Just be sure to ask if you need help getting your luggage up about 8 steps.