“A M A Z I N G”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I loved staying at this hotel! Had a great time at the Spa! My kids loved it aswell. Parking was a little pricy but, it was worth it because they took care of my car. Room service was fantastic. Wake up calls were right on time. Staying there was a breeze :)

Room Tip: Suite's for sure!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
AmandaParsons-GM, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Jam J,
We love to hear the word AMAZING when describing the Grand Hotel! Thank you for being our guest and sharing your experience!
We hope to see you and your family again soon!
~Amanda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was my first stay at a Kimpton Hotel and I have to say, I was impressed. A former colleague swears by this chain of hotels and now I see why!

I traveled to Minneapolis for business with 2 colleagues and we hosted an event in the restaurant of this hotel (Rare - A steak & sushi bar). The event was a social gathering of about 25 people and we had the small party room right off of the main dining area. Everything about the event was pleasant; we ordered assorted appetizers which were all tasty (and very generous portions) and our server Megan was friendly and efficient with the drink orders.

The overnight accomodations did not disappoint either. The rooms are very nicely appointed with newer furnishings and bedding. The small touches are all in place too, such as a power source on the desk with 5 plugs for charging various electronics, robes, high-quality shampoo AND conditioner (important to those of us with longer hair) and a higher end hairdryer than one typically finds at a hotel. The front desk staff was friendly and our check-in was smooth.

The two drawbacks to this hotel were 1) the loud fan in the room (though it did drown out the downtown noise), and 2) the difficulty in finding the valet due to the one-way streets around the hotel. The valet stand is actually on 7th Avenue, even though the main entrance to the hotel is on 2nd Street.

All in all, I will certainly book this hotel if I travel to Minneapolis again and am eager to try other Kimpton hotels around the US.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear ktyg,

It's great to hear we've turned you onto the Kimpton Hotel collection. I'm so happy you enjoyed all the details at the Grand Hotel. You'll find the extra power source, comfortable robes, great shampoo and conditioner at our sister properties too!
We are working on the to improve the two challenges you addressed. First, we are in the process of installing InnCom thermostats in our guestrooms in hopes to help reduce some of the fan noise you mentioned. We are also working with the city to try and return the loading zone to the front of the hotel.
If you need another reason to return to Minneapolis, summer is here! The weather is gorgeous and you already know which hotel you'll stay at!
We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel location is superb, close enough to walk to all the shopping and restaurants in downtown Minneapolis. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and luxurious (Frette bathrobes and I believe linens), although the hotel and room decorations are a bit eccentric (unless you are used to tree stumps as side tables). The property offers complimentary happy hour with small bites, along with complimentary tea and coffee each morning. Room service breakfast was probably the best we have ever had, and reasonably priced for room service. Note that joining Kimpton rewards (free) prior to booking entitles travelers to complimentary wireless internet and $10 toward the in-room mini bar and snack selection. My husband raved about the gym, which has its own floor of the hotel. Apparently, it was good enough for the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team, since he ran into them while working out at the gym. In addition to the basketball players, we also ran into Barry Manilow, tall and tan as ever, who was staying at the hotel. Forget Chateau Marmont in Hollywood, evidently The Grand Hotel Minneapolis is the place to visit for celebrity sightings.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
AmandaParsons-GM, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear kmrmpl,
I'm thrilled you enjoyed your visit and found our location to be superb!
It sounds like you experienced the perfect getaway...room service and all!
We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We travelled to the Grand Hotel for a weekend couples getaway & to catch a show.

Staff was great and extremely helpful. We loved the wine reception each evening ...a very nice touch to share a glass of wine and some tasty red pepper hummus. The lobby is nicely decorated and modern.

Bedroom was fabulous and extremely clean. Crisp white linens, fluffy robes and the washroom was shining. I did not want to leave the room which had funky furniture and a settee, not to mention a tv in the soaker tub.

So relaxing. I would go back to this hotel in a minute. It is close to everything downtown, great food, drinking establishments and a party if you are looking for one outside of the hotel.

Quite and peaceful. Gym rocks as does the pool. Enjoy.

Only complaint is the food ...especially getting something vegetarian delicious after midnight when you have the hungries. Oh yeah and you could stand the spoon up in the wild rice soup which was tasty but more like a risotto than soup.

Room Tip: Corner room is lovely
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Stefarino,
Your review describes a wonderful weekend away! Thank you for selecting the Grand Hotel Minneapolis for your get-away. I'm glad you found the hotel comfortable and relaxing. Our team makes every effort to provide a relaxing atmosphere. Thank you!
We hope you will return very soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spent five nights at the end of March at the Grand. The staff was very helpful and did absolutely everything to make our stay a pleasure. The evening wine gathering in the spacious lobby (one night with live music) was great. Our room was very comfortable (great bathroom) and very clean; housekeeping performed a thorough cleaning daily. The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Minneapolis within walking distance to excellent restaurants. I would definitely stay here again. The Grand is really a gem.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff88EggHarbor

Dear Jeff88EggHarbor,
Thank you for saying, "The Grand is really a gem"! What a fabulous compliment. I'm so happy you were able to enjoy Music Wednesdays in the lobby and were extremely comfortable during your stay.
I appreciate your glowing comments about our team! They will be shared.
We hope you'll be back to see us again soon!

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel too many times to remember going back to when it opened. Newly renovated rooms are fantastic. What I like about this hotel is its exclusivity--quiet, great rooms, extremely friendly staff, and within walking distance of everything downtown Minneapolis has to offer. Was somewhat concerned when I found out that Kimpton had purchased this independent property but my concerns were quickly put to rest when I returned. Front desk staff greeted me by name, knew that I was a frequent guest, and even offered me my favorite room choice before I could even ask. Extensive lobby and bar remodel are very nice as well. If you are looking for a quiet, elegant, but modern hotel to stay at while in the Twin Cities the Grand Hotel Minneapolis should be your first choice.

Room Tip: Grand rooms (atrium grand, exterior grand) are the best with larger sq ft and huge bathrooms with wa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Dear kmnduluth,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Grand Hotel Minneapolis. It's exciting to hear how much you are enjoying the Kimpton enhancements, but nothing beats our team! We appreciate the glowing compliments. Thank you!
We're excited to welcome you back to your favorite room soon!
Safe travels, whever they take you!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were "lucky" to get to stay at the Grand on St. Patrick's Day this year. From the beginning to the end, this was a wonderful stay. The concierge emailed me approximately a week before our stay, telling us a little about MSP, explaining parking, and asking if we had any requests. Our one bedroom suite was beautiful! The big, bright sitting area with a chair, couch, desk/chair, large flat screen tv, and a mini bar. The bedroom had a huge, comfy bed and another large flat screen tv. The bathroom had a big soaking tub with a small TV to watch, a huge rainhead shower with body soap, shampoo, and conditioner in containers attached to the wall, and a separate toilet area. Every phone request to the front desk I was greeted happily by my name. We valet parked for convenience and everything you could every want was in walking distance. Thanks for Grand stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple