“Over the Top at In Season” 5 of 5 stars
Review of In Season - CLOSED

In Season
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: In Season has been open about 5 months.
Conn.
“Over the Top at In Season”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

When you first enter In Season restaurant, you feel a sense of relaxation. The lighting is soft and you immediately know the focus is the cuisine with the walls adorned with large food-related paintings. The seating is allows for ~45 guests at the tables, which can be quickly moved to accommodate large or small groups, plus a bar area in the rear overlooking the open kitchen.

The menu changes regularly and as the name suggests highlights items that are “in Season.” With my visit occurring in December, I thought the menu would include many deep based recipes, highlighting braises, stews and root vegetables, and I was surprised to see a large number of lighter choices.

The menu can be viewed on the restaurant’s website and it was accurate for my visit. It is separated into three sections. The first is for sharing; either a cheese or charcuterie plate or a flatbread; the second is for appetizer sized dishes including soups, salads and risotto and the last for entrées. The entrée section is arranged with the lightest dishes first and working up the richness scale and range in price from $18-27.

I ordered the Sunchoke Risotto with Bay Scallop and Walnut Oil for my appetizer and the Roasted Pheasant with Squash Romesco, Green Olive and Patatas Bravas for my entree.

While I waited the server brought a basket of bread and butter. With the first bite I knew something was up and in a positive way. The butter was sorta sweet and sorta salty and I later found out it contained sea salt, honey and lemon zest. It was a great way to start the meal.

The Risotto arrived in less than five minutes which gave me concern for a dish that takes 20 to prepare. But it was delicious. The bay scallops had a good crust, no easy task, the risotto was just a tad beyond al dente, was incredibly creamy. But it was the depth of flavors that stood out, outstanding, rich, pungent and full of the base wine used in the dish. Stock? Vegetable stock and then the flavor was heightened by the walnut oil. Overall this was a killer presentation.

The pheasant breast arrived, sliced on a bias, sitting atop the Patatas Bravas and Romesco. Small dollops of smoked aioli and pureed green olives dotted the plate. Where the squash was hiding I do not know. But I could not care less given the flavors of the rest of the dish…outstanding. The Romesco was just full of flavor, where they found tomatoes this deep in flavor this time of year baffles me, and the amount of flavor the little “dollops” brought to the dish were amazing. The potatoes were crispy on the exterior and still moist on the interior. If there was 1-2 items that were not perfect it would be the potatoes were slightly over-salted and the pheasant breast was a tad overcooked.

Overall this was a delicious treat and well worth the slipping and sliding on the drive.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank jfood

Woodbury, Minnesota
“In Season Restaurant for any season”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

For gourmet dining in the Twin Cities at a reasonable price, In Season is a place to visit. We visited this small, intimate restaurant in November. The fall menu offered entrees of pheasant, venison, trout, as well as pumpkin gnocchi, hanger steak, and Barramundi, a mild fish. I began my meal with a sweet potato soup with smoked rabbit, fennel and pumpkin seed oil. The subtle tastes blended into what was one of the finest soups I have ever tasted. I chose the venison osso bucco served with lentils, rutabaga puree and apples. The puree added fall flavors to the tender, delicately spiced venison. My wife had the Barramundi with pears, buttercup squash, apple curry, and ricotta. The fish was perfectly done within the enhancing flavors of the vegetables and fruits. Our friend raved about the pumpkin gnocchi with brussel sprouts, autumn mushrooms, and a poached egg on top. All three of us agreed, fall was spectacular at In Season. It made us look forward to winter. I highly recommend the In Season restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Raymond1288
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

After reading about In Season since it opened nearly two years ago, I finally had dinner there recently with my boyfriend. He had been there before, and everything he said (all positive) about this restaurant was true. We sat at the counter and thoroughly enjoyed speaking with the manager and wait staff. They were very knowledgable and friendly, and clearly love their jobs! The wine list is very nice, and the food is locally sourced ingredients that are "in season." The duck we ordered was among the best I've ever had. I am confident we could have ordered anything on the menu and it would have been delicious. We will be celebrating our anniversary at In Season next month because we had such a wonderful experience. The space is unpretentious yet romantic - this neighborhood is lucky to have In Season!!

1 Thank MNdawnygirl
minnesota USA
“Fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

So glad we found this restaurant. It is small and cozy (can be a bit noisy). The food is wonderful ans service is great. The squash blossoms are delious and light. The addition of mint is great. Our group shared the cheese and meat plates. Nice variety with delious speck, pâté and quince purée. The butter poached halibut is melt in your mouth. Dessert menu looked great, we were just to well fed to try them. Really enjoyed our evening.

1 Thank wayzata1
Winnipeg, Canada
“Different and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have to agree with others, this restaurant is truly a gem. The service was outstanding and the food, unique and delicious. We started with the cheese plate, which came with a nice selection of cheese, apricot preserves, almonds and fresh baguette. The pork tenderloin I ordered, was cooked to perfection. My boyfriend had the swiss chard cake, which I would definitely recommend. The only thing that disappointed me was the chocolate ganache dessert, for $9.00 it was very small and nothing special. I'll also note that the restaurant is very loud when packed, so we opted to sit outside on their gorgeous little patio.

• Visited August 2012