“Beautiful Mansion”

American Swedish Institute
Ranked #10 of 223 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1929 by Swan J. Turnblad, this castle serves as a combination historic house/museum that features exhibits and programs of the Swedish culture.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The mansion is stunning. I recommend taking a tour to learn its history. The guides are well informed. Try for a time when it's not crowded.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had lunch here, and enjoyed the unusual food. (the 2-3 hours I recommended for the length of visit includes eating). The mansion is fabulous. There was an exhibit about the Sami people (aboriginal people of Scandanavia and Russia), and this was very educational. The gift shop is lots of fun.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

OK, so this was my first time at this museum. I am only 25% Swedish, so I wasn't pulled like a tractor beam into the imposing mansion until now. Love the modern addition and restaurant, the Swedish horse you can ride for merely a quarter (me+horse=next holiday card), and the gift shop. The mansion itself is abundant with potential, but seems to be lacking a gifted curator. You learn very little about the folks who built the home, the period design, or the Swedish immigrants who poured into Minnesota to homestead. A couple of the rooms are actually empty, empty. Hence I left, you guessed it, with a feeling of emptiness. Save your money and head to Ingebretsen's on Lake Street. Now THAT is an experience. Last time I went I was fondling cardamon bread next to Walter Mondale. Yup.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We enjoyed a nice meal at the museum restaurant first before starting out... good thing we got there early.. there was a long line for those who didn't. The grandkids enjoyed an art project and we enjoyed the self guided tour and speaking with guides along the way. A nice 2-3 hour outing with the family

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stop by to see this institute housed in a gorgeous mansion. Currently there is an interesting and informative exhibit on the Sami people.