“Suck it in or ride on top if it's ballgame rush and crush”
Review of METRO Blue Line

METRO Blue Line
Ranked #46 of 225 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: This spring and summer, Metro Transit will keep the light-rail system healthy with some preventive maintenance and improvements.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I know light rail is a good idea (it would be a great idea if we didn't concurrently burn billions widening highways to make the light rail less necessary) and an okay deal given you can get to and on it with a generously-timed bus transfer. BUT the few times we needed it the most to avoid everything big thinkers want us to avoid (driving to the stadium, adding to congestion and pollution and global ennui etc) the trains weren't just packed solid, but packed solid with quite a few slightly pickled nice-but-boisterous folks you can't uncrush yourself from. Are the game times so crazy unpredictable to MTC that they can't add more trains/cars during these peak demand hours? I'd love to see a transit cop check for passengers' tickets during one of these rides. I should've posted this months ago but didn't realize until loitering today that Trip Advisor lists this as an attraction! Next: airport shuttles, skyways (they might indeed have that), and bike racks.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I found out this line ran from the airport to downtown. The honor system is in effect as no one collected my ticket. It gave me a chance to see the outlying areas and I even saw the Viking stadium. I never knew that Viking had a name!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and just got back from spending a weekend in Minneapolis. We used Hiawatha Like, aka, "Blue Line" and Light Rail" many times. It runs from the Airport to Target Field. We used it to and from the Airport and to Mall of America since our hotel was near Target Field. It was very convenient and reasonably priced. Just a side note: Make sure you purchase a ticket each time you ride if the current one expired. On our first ride, we were waiting for someone to come and take our tickets, but no one did. We were hesitant to purchase another since they really don't have anyone collecting the tickets so we asked our hotels front desk about this and they told us that they will have a police officer do a spot check on the train and if you get caught without a ticket it's a $180.00 fine! So needless to say, we purchased one each time we rode...not worth trying to get away with a $1.75 ride as opposed to $180.00!

5  Thank ChiTownJoJo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Hiawatha LRT was many years in the making and it is wonderful to have. I do not have frequent opportunities to ride, but have enjoyed using it to get from work in Downtown to Cedar Riverside, Lake Street and other stops for appointments, meetings, and errands. I have sometimes met family who live in South Minneapolis and ride Downtown for Twins or Vikings games (however, be forewarned that there is a long wait when the event is over). I know that the Hiawatha LRT is extremely popular for travelers to get from Downtown to the Airport. Service has been consistently on time, cars are clean, and people behave well.

I am excited to see the development of the new Green Line to St. Paul.

1  Thank Andrew E
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Metro Transit (Blue Line) Hiawatha Light Rail Train (LRT) Line is a great form of public transportation. This line runs From Target Field in downtown Minneapolis to the airport and the Mall of America in the Suburb of Bloomington. Its very cheap $1.75 to ride vs a taxi for around 40-50$ for that route. Starting in 2014 the line will connect at the downtown East station currently Metrodome to the new Central Corridor (The Green Line) which will run to Downtown Saint Paul.

4  Thank NorthStar218