“Bergen bread”

Dining options: Breakfast
Minnesota
“Bergen bread”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We enjoyed breakfast at Sun Street, I had the normal breakfast (eggs, ham, toast). The toast is what made the meal Bergen bread. My wife had a biscuit with Brie and meat that was excellent. I unfortunately steered clear of the biscuits, I thought they sounded to fast food, that was a mistake. The Bergen bread was sold out by the time we finished breakfast. We did buy a loaf of sourdough and a baguette, which were every bit as enjoyable as Rustica or Turtle Bread.

• Visited October 2013

New Jersey
“Bright and cheerful”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

What a nice assortment of offerings for lunch and dinner. I did try "the world's greatest hamburger", but thought it fell short. Was too thin for my taste, but my companions loved their breakfast foods. It's a nice place to sit and enjoy your coffee, eggs, and pastry while typing away on your mobile device.

Visited September 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great for breakfast or lunch!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Love this place and go here weekly! Biscuits and gravy are amazing. Never had anything that wasn't great. Make sure you grab a loaf of fresh bread to take home with you.

Visited August 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Undisputedly One of the Best Breakfasts in the Twin Cities”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What can I say about Sun Street Breads that hasn't already been said?

This place is every bit as good as other reviewers have commented, and then some. The bread and pastries here are top notch and I've yet to find a bakery in the metro that matches their vanilla kolache or their signature light cinnamon pastry- the Downtowner. Those complaining that they run out of stock too frequently probably need to get there before 2:00 pm - there's a reason for slim pickings after the actual breakfast times.

Their biscuits are my go-to on the menu. If the biscuit wasn't flaky and delicious enough, you owe it to yourself to coat it in the mushroom or sausage gravy. You'll thank me for the recommendation - trust me.

I wasn't wowed by the Southern Fried ( a biscuit with bacon and a breaded chicken patty). But it was still delicious, even if the chicken was a bit underwhelming. Chicken isn't their speciality, but the bread sure is. My advice? Stick to the Basic Biscuit Plus (my personal combo is with bacon, an over-easy egg, and cheddar, open faced, smothered in the sausage gravy: heaven and surprisingly filling.)

I am big about Minnesota: we have a lot to be proud of. So naturally, I love the local selection of Minnesota beers. On a somewhat related note, the addition of Mexican Coke/Fanta and sparkling waters is a trendy, high end touch not lost on me. While these may not seem like the average beverage of choice for breakfast, they are more fitting for the lunch menu, obviously.

I've been meaning to stop by for lunch and their pizza dinners, but haven't gotten around to it yet. However, I expect they are just as excellent judging from my repeated experiences here. I've never had any issues with any staff members (though some are certainly more friendly than others), but having been a patron for awhile, the staff is getting to know me by name, which I am grateful for (but my belt might not be!)

The lines can get long during peak hours, and the seating is limited, but don't let that dissuade you. This place has won the awards it has for a reason and this is a definite place to take a friend or family member from out of town or just to enjoy a true breakfast over the morning paper or with a friend catching up. It's healthy, simple, REAL food. And you can't argue with that.

Seriously. Come here. The Kingfield neighborhood in Minneapolis is outstanding to begin with (a truly under appreciated gem, especially near Lake Harriet) and this is one of its crown jewels. We are fortunate.

• Visited August 2013
West Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Fun Bakery and Sandwiches”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Fun and innovative sandwiches, great breads and pastries. A great change from the typical cofee shop or bread/dessert-only bakery. Nice for breakfast!

Visited July 2013