“I would drive an hour to eat here again. Amazing”

The Butcher Block Restaurant
Ranked #199 of 1,833 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University
Description: Welcome to the Butcher Block, where meat is our passion; organic, grass-fed, and sustainable are our principles; and serving great-tasting food – with or without meat – is our priority.We’re inspired by the cozy neighborhood trattorias you find in Rome and throughout Italy, but we're located right here in Northeast Minneapolis.We chose the name "Butcher Block" in honor of Filippo Caffari, our butcher, who was a skilled master-butcher in Rome for almost two decades, before moving to Minneapolis to become head chef at I Nonni in Mendota Heights. Chef Caffari is one of the finest Italian chefs in the Twin Cities.To accompany our remarkable Italian meals, we offer an extensive Italian and international wine list, as well as many fine domestic wines and beers. Our goal is to fuse the best of Italian culinary skills with the freshest ingredients, so you can experience authentic Italian dining.The only passport required is your love of great Italian food.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I love Italian and this restaurant does it right. The owner/chef came out and spent time with us. He helped us pick the perfect menu and paired the wine. By the time I was done, I had a new favorite place to eat. On the way out we enjoyed a toast of his home made lemoncello.

It was worth the trip down town and I can't wait to go back. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I ate there last night with friends. I had read some various comment on Yelp and wasn't sure what to expect. I'm very picky about Italian food since my parents are Italian immigrants and I've spent ever summer of my life growing up in Italy. The food was outstanding.
The appetizer with the sausage and peppers was like my mom's! The antipasto was terrific. My pasta was actually al dente.
Service was good. This is the real deal and worth trying.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful saturday night for first time at Butcher Block.
Great Italian wine list, and with help from Filippo the chef from Rome, helped us pair with our selection of food and wonderful red wine from Italy. The food was amazing, the short ribs melted in your mouth.
We are definitely coming back!!! Great time was had by all!!!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

First time visit. Far exceeded our expectations. Friendly service. Food prepared magnificently. Look forward to returning regularly.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Had a great dining experience Saturday night all the way around from excellent service to top flight italian cuisine, and all the family (ages 10 to 45 yrs old) enjoyed the experience and atmosphere. Memorable antipasti included Arancini all ragu and pork and ricotta meatballs. The braised short rib, pork tenderloin special, and new york strip highlight the talent of Chef Caffari who is a master butcher and prepares organic and grass fed meat, and is happy to spend a little time explaining how the dishes are prepared. Nice wine pairing suggestions at very reasonable prices. Some of the best creme brûlée in the city, and guests also raved about the tiramisu limoncello and fatto a mano torrone on the dessert menu. If you are looking for a quiet and memorable dining experience with excellent italian food, this fits the bill.