“Favorite place outside of NYC”

The Butcher Block Restaurant
Ranked #180 of 1,807 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University
Description: Welcome to the Butcher Block, where meat is our passion; organic, grass-fed, and sustainable are our principles; and serving great-tasting food – with or without meat – is our priority.We’re inspired by the cozy neighborhood trattorias you find in Rome and throughout Italy, but we're located right here in Northeast Minneapolis.We chose the name "Butcher Block" in honor of Filippo Caffari, our butcher, who was a skilled master-butcher in Rome for almost two decades, before moving to Minneapolis to become head chef at I Nonni in Mendota Heights. Chef Caffari is one of the finest Italian chefs in the Twin Cities.To accompany our remarkable Italian meals, we offer an extensive Italian and international wine list, as well as many fine domestic wines and beers. Our goal is to fuse the best of Italian culinary skills with the freshest ingredients, so you can experience authentic Italian dining.The only passport required is your love of great Italian food.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite place outside of NYC”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Read the reviews when they opened and went (was excited because I'm always on the look out for great pasta here having years of dining in NYC & Italy under...inside?...my belt). The usual new restaurant kinks still needed to be worked out but other than that, loved the food from the first time I went. Been a regular whenever I'm in town since. Dinner menu changes based on the season (another reason to love the place) so I can't give you specifics other than I've never been disappointed. Dessert menu is more consistant...I always get the cheese cake! (The crust is made from graham crackers made on sight, the toppings vary based on what's in season and a perfect finish to a great meal with a cup of espresso. Whenever I have it, I think of the review I read when they opened 'Best cheesecake in the city!' (or something close to that:))

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank MNSwede76

Minneapolis
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I went to the Butcher Block on Sunday night with my boyfriend and another couple. My boyfriend and I both tried the tasting menu. This was to die for!!! The service was great, very personable. We have been talking about trying this restaurant for the longest time and so glad that we finally decided to come in. We can't wait to try it again!

• Visited September 2012
Willmar, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will definitely be back”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were in to Butcher Block with a large group for a special occasion. Everyone was very happy with their food and the service was excellent!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Sheila R
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Frustrating Dining Experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to The Butcher Block for the first time to help a few friends celebrate birthdays. We should have known from the start it wasn't going to be good... The server came to the table and started taking drink orders than suddenly walked away and left 2 people out of the party in taking their orders. We kind of laughed it off in the beginning but very odd, and very inefficient way to start the evening.

Once we all had our drinks and settled in she took our order and that’s where it really went downhill.

She brought out salads, didn't offer ground pepper so we had to ask....then when I was about 3/4 thru my salad found a very long black hair imbedded in my salad. (Definitely not mine) I didn't want to make a scene because it was my friends celebrating bday's. I did quietly tell her that there was a big hair in the salad. She shrugged.... I also asked for pasta with Chicken Parmiggiana instead of potatoes, which she told me it would be a $10 up charge for spaghetti noodles which I thought was a crazy price to charge but whatever… told her to go ahead and switch from potatoes to pasta and I would accept the up charge. When the entrees were finally brought out no pasta, but mashed potatoes… I had to remind her that I had ordered pasta… she then asked me well what do you want me to do about it? (I ate the potatoes)

As a bartender/server for the last 10 years I understand sometimes things go wrong, but you always try to make things right. There wasn’t any attempt at all. It was poor quality, poor service and overall a frustrating dining experience.

I will never recommend The Butcher Block and I will never go back….. It was gross!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank tpow1234
Minneapolis
“Horrible Service”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have been to this restaurant twice. The first time we had a nice experience. The second time, not so much...I went with my mother last Friday at around 5:30. The restaurant was empty. We were seated and placed our drink and food orders. After that, the waitress completely disappeared. Maybe I shouldn't say 'disappeared'. She was very visibly enjoying herself at the bar. Twice we had to hunt down other waitresses to find our waitress - once to inquire about our food and the other time to get the check. I can understand a waitress being busy when a restaurant is crowded. But we were the only people in there! It was ridiculous. And the meal wasn't cheap - $60 for two people. I was extremely disappointed and will not be returning. You expect better service when you pay for a nice meal. I've had better service at Denny's. It's sad because the food is tasty.

• Visited August 2012