“Will definitely be back” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Butcher Block
Ranked #171 of 1,790 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University
Description: Welcome to the Butcher Block, where meat is our passion; organic, grass-fed, and sustainable are our principles; and serving great-tasting food – with or without meat – is our priority.We’re inspired by the cozy neighborhood trattorias you find in Rome and throughout Italy, but we're located right here in Northeast Minneapolis.We chose the name "Butcher Block" in honor of Filippo Caffari, our butcher, who was a skilled master-butcher in Rome for almost two decades, before moving to Minneapolis to become head chef at I Nonni in Mendota Heights. Chef Caffari is one of the finest Italian chefs in the Twin Cities.To accompany our remarkable Italian meals, we offer an extensive Italian and international wine list, as well as many fine domestic wines and beers. Our goal is to fuse the best of Italian culinary skills with the freshest ingredients, so you can experience authentic Italian dining.The only passport required is your love of great Italian food.
Willmar, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will definitely be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were in to Butcher Block with a large group for a special occasion. Everyone was very happy with their food and the service was excellent!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Sheila R

Woodbury, Minnesota
“Frustrating Dining Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to The Butcher Block for the first time to help a few friends celebrate birthdays. We should have known from the start it wasn't going to be good... The server came to the table and started taking drink orders than suddenly walked away and left 2 people out of the party in taking their orders. We kind of laughed it off in the beginning but very odd, and very inefficient way to start the evening.

Once we all had our drinks and settled in she took our order and that’s where it really went downhill.

She brought out salads, didn't offer ground pepper so we had to ask....then when I was about 3/4 thru my salad found a very long black hair imbedded in my salad. (Definitely not mine) I didn't want to make a scene because it was my friends celebrating bday's. I did quietly tell her that there was a big hair in the salad. She shrugged.... I also asked for pasta with Chicken Parmiggiana instead of potatoes, which she told me it would be a $10 up charge for spaghetti noodles which I thought was a crazy price to charge but whatever… told her to go ahead and switch from potatoes to pasta and I would accept the up charge. When the entrees were finally brought out no pasta, but mashed potatoes… I had to remind her that I had ordered pasta… she then asked me well what do you want me to do about it? (I ate the potatoes)

As a bartender/server for the last 10 years I understand sometimes things go wrong, but you always try to make things right. There wasn’t any attempt at all. It was poor quality, poor service and overall a frustrating dining experience.

I will never recommend The Butcher Block and I will never go back….. It was gross!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tpow1234
Minneapolis
“Horrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have been to this restaurant twice. The first time we had a nice experience. The second time, not so much...I went with my mother last Friday at around 5:30. The restaurant was empty. We were seated and placed our drink and food orders. After that, the waitress completely disappeared. Maybe I shouldn't say 'disappeared'. She was very visibly enjoying herself at the bar. Twice we had to hunt down other waitresses to find our waitress - once to inquire about our food and the other time to get the check. I can understand a waitress being busy when a restaurant is crowded. But we were the only people in there! It was ridiculous. And the meal wasn't cheap - $60 for two people. I was extremely disappointed and will not be returning. You expect better service when you pay for a nice meal. I've had better service at Denny's. It's sad because the food is tasty.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jracleveland
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Came here for dinner with my family- AWESOME food. I am not a fan of mashed potatoes but they made the bested mashed potatoes I've ever had. Is it cheap food- no- but good food that is done well in a restaurant usually isn't. We will be returning.

minnesota
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have been here two times and plan on going back. Love the fresh pasture raised meat and fresh made stuff. I had gnocci the first time I was there with house made wild boar sausage. It was great. The gnocci was house made! Just thinking about it makes me want to go right now again!

• Visited April 2012