“Fabulous Food! Fantastic experience!”
Review of Bar La Grassa

Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: 8th St
Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous Food! Fantastic experience!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The food was exceptional especially the Pasta Negra with Mussels and the desserts were heavenly! The waiter was very knowledgeable and patient.

Visited August 2014

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Delightful experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Our first time and it was great! Great atmosphere with prompt friendly service and good food. Very busy on a Thursday night and we could see why. Reasonably priced food and wines with a nice variety of both. We enjoyed a bruschetta appetizer that was delicious.

• Visited August 2014
Conn.
“How Many Ways to Say Great”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I always recommend Bar La Grassa to colleagues who live in the Twin Cities. When some foodie customers asked me to join them at one of my favorites, of course I accepted. With three people in attendance it was the perfect opportunity to do a sharing of the cuisine that has garnered such great press.

For our first round of dishes we ordered the “ARANCINI with DUCK CONFIT and TALEGGIO” $10), the “SOFT EGGS and LOBSTER ($18), and the “GORRGONZOLA PICANTE with PEPERONATA ($9).”

The soft egg and lobster Is a brilliant combination. The eggs are cooked to a creamy decadence and then the lobster adds great flavor and just a touch of textural contrast. The slightly grilled toast added the crunchiness to the dish. Priced at $18, this is not an inexpensive starter course, but well worth a splurge. The Arancini was perfectly cooked, crispy on the exterior and soft and creamy on the inside. There was a scant amount of confit but the Taleggio was creamy and a great contrast to the Arancini. I would have enjoyed the dish with more confit. The slight pungency of the Gorrgonzola (sic) worked perfectly with the spicy Peperonata. The toasted slice of bread contributed just a touch of flavor and crunchiness.

I suggested each of my colleague choose a small pasta order and I would fill in with another two. For the entrée course we ordered the “FUSILLI COL BUCO with LAMB MEATBALLS” ($10), the “CALAMARATA with RAW TUNA” ($20), an order of “CAVATELLI with BRAISED RABBIT” ($9), and the “GNOCCHI with CAULIFLOWER and ORANGE” $10).

The gnocchi is one of my favorite combinations anywhere. The bite sized gnocchi were brightened with the mild orangey-citrus background and then the small pieces of sautéed cauliflower added the textural contrast. The fusilli is not your mom’s spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were soft and rich in flavor, perfectly paired with the sweet and bright tomato sauce. The cavatelli was a little short of the deep flavors that I was anticipating from braised rabbit, veering to a subtleness of the rabbit versus the gamey approach. The addition of the grated cheese on the table is needed in this dish to bring out the flavors. I was not a fan of the calamarata. The dish delivered a good level of spiciness but I was not fond of the textural combination of the raw tuna with the pasta.

Overall I loved the dishes at BLG, with several spectacular.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank jfood
“Best pasta”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Ok if you like fresh pasta and want to try something different I strongly suggest the froi grois tortellini! Unbelievable! I was always a fan of the 112 eatery (same chef owner) and bar la grassa didn't disappoint. If you want something different there are great options or if you prefer the classic type pastas they have those too, and all for a very decent price

Visited August 2014
Mill Valley, California
“Best in Minneapolis”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

What my wife and I loved about this place is that its stylish and fresh without being pretentious. The taste combination are unique without being crazy. All the food tastes like it was fresh off the farm. We're going back for our wedding anniversary.

• Visited September 2013