“Delicious Fish and Chips”

Anchor Fish and Chips
Ranked #48 of 1,870 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Arrived around 6:50pm on a Sunday night and we had no wait for a table for 2. After we were seated did notice people waiting. It took a while for a wait person to acknowledge us and take our orders. Once she finally did, she was very attentive, just slow to start. The fish and chips were under $9 and the portion was generous. It was well prepared and good quality fish, the chips were not frozen, but hand cut. The tartar sauce is 50 cents and is ordered as a side. It does not contain pickle relish, but more of a dill with mayo. Prices for wine and beer seemed very reasonable. The noise level was pretty loud, we had a guy laughing really loudly next to us. The tables are fairly close together. Didn't really go for the atmosphere, more for the food.

1  Thank PlanetR

Reviewed February 6, 2010

Stopped in on a Saturday around lunchtime and the place was packed -- 25 minute wait for a table. I figured that was a sure sign of good food. So I opted for takeout. I still waited 25 minutes for my takeout so had a lot of time to observe. Place is too dark, with poor lighting. Since it's a relatively small space, it seemed cluttered and chaotic with tables and people. Finally got my takeout food and went back to my office less than 5 minutes away. I unfolded the greasiest double-wrap of fish and soggy chips as I've ever seen. Fish was overcooked and tasteless. Seriously. I had such high hopes!

1  Thank MendoMN
Reviewed December 10, 2009

We were visiting St. Paul and wanted to try something new. The local arts paper had just written a review on Anchor and given it a thumbs-up, so we thought we'd give it a go. Now, we live four hours away and are very sad that we can't just hop in the car and have dinner there again. I've had fish and chips all over the country -- and across the pond -- and this was singularly the best I've ever had. The fish was delicate, the batter was light and not greasy at all, and the service was lightning-fast. The pub was hopping that night -- almost a 20 minute wait -- but we were able to be seated immediately at the bar which was fun because we watched the cooks. They've got this down to a science and the food was served so quickly and hot that I nearly burned my tongue on it! Oh, and did I mention the Mushy Peas? A standard side from the Isles, and perfectly made. I can't wait to go back. They serve breakfast on the weekend -- we'll be sure to go next time to get Bangers & Mash. For the veggies out there ... they do have a veggie burger on the menu, too.

1  Thank KateMcNeill