“A restaurant with personality”

Anchor Fish and Chips
Ranked #48 of 1,870 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The food is good, nothing to drool over, but the Anchor Fish and Chips is just a cool place. The line was long, but went really fast. I wouldnt bring a crowd bigger than six during the dinner rush, but two - four people can get seated in 15 minutes. The food and drinks are really good. A nice big portion of fish and chips. Sure its fried and greasy, but its a big meaty hunk of fish too. There are other menu options. All great values. We sat in the window and thoroughly enjoyed people watching. Its in a great location and its a cozy little hometown restaurant. I will look for it when I go back. The locals are the primary customers. Get a window seat if its just one or two of you. Outside might not be fun since the folks in line congregate out there.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Me and my foodie friends heard rave reviews for months now and finally had a chance to try it. I'm really not sure what all the buzz is about. While I agree the quality is great, there was almost no flavor in the fish and chips. I didn't care for the pollock simply because it had NO flavor - and I thought walleye was tasteless. The breading was wonderful texture but bland as cardboard. The tartar sauce was the saving grace. The owner (or was it the manager?) was kind enough to stop by and ask how things were. We were kind but honest. She'd explained that this is an Irish-style fish & chips and they don't like to add spices or vinegars that cover up the flavor. Knowing that, I much prefer Brit or Wisconsin-style, and the Englishman with us agreed. I don't know if I'll return to try something else, as their signature dish was very disappointing.

1  Thank bonnie c
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Simple food done well. Obvious that the proprietors know what they are doing. Simple food with a little verve. A gem

Reviewed May 27, 2012

The small, neighborhood pub fries up some really great cod and chips. Melt in your mouth good...and not greasy at all. The smashed peas were delicious...thought I was back in London. Best of all, friendly, caring service. One of us asked if they had iced coffee. Instead of just saying "no," the server offered to run to the cafe next door to accommodate the request. I was very impressed. Best of all, the price. The portions were generous and price for a plate of fish and chips was under $10.00. Will absolutely return!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

What a great place for predictable terrific consistant food. The fish is the best I've had since Haight Ashbury, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper sprinkled with vineger, in 1968. A friend, a burger pro, says this burger is the best. even better than the highly regarded Blue Door.

OK, I have a problem with the chips. Sometimes a bit greasy. Not crisp and browned as they should be. Still, do it. Gert there, order both, split the two. Good beer selection too. A lot of help from the informal friendly wait staff.

The rest of the menu? Who knows. I haven't got past the fish and the burgers. L