“Impressive first impression”

Ranked #140 of 1,853 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Asian, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Ginger Hop is a restaurant in NE MPLS that specializes in pan-Asian classic dishes. As we like to say: "East meets Northeast"
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Dining at Ginger Hop wasn't our intention--my wife and I had planned to dine at another restaurant in Northeast, but discovered it closed. So we wandered down the street and found Ginger Hop. So glad we did!

First thing that struck us was the design: the arched ceiling with old-fashioned paddle fans snapping back and forth in unison, the dark wood, the inviting bar.

Service was excellent and the food was wonderful. I had a yellow curry with tofu; my wife chose the Penang curry with pork. These two dishes, plus an appetizer of Banh Mi Spring Roll, plus two beers for forty dollars.

We'll definitely return!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had heard about this restaurant on the radio and heard the owner (I think or manager) interviewed. It sounded like it would be a fun, hip place for a bunch of us moms and our college-aged daughters to go for a birthday celebration. We missed Happy Hour unfortunately. It was nice to be able to make a reservation for our large group and our server Kaya (sp?) was sweet and attentive. The appetizers were good, but a few of us got the Pad Thai and thought it was lackluster. My daughter got the kimchi rueben sandwich and said it was terrible. If we return, it will be during Happy Hour.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The food was ok. No one at the table of 4 was overly happy. The service was quite slow. The diet coke tasted like something had died in it. All of us that had ordered it could hardly drink it. I put an hour and a half in a parking meter thinking that would be more than enough time for dinner, however the service was so slow I got a parking ticket on top of my sub-par dinner!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I only have been here for brunch but it was excellent. I had the French toast that was made with coconut milk. Honestly, I thought it was going to have more of a coconut flavor, but it was quite mild. The fruit compotes were great though, if I remember right, it came with 2 or 3 and then also had a ginger syrup, so I could experiment a little and find the combination I liked.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had been here last summer, but I had forgotten how good it was. I am not normally impressed by presentation of food, but this was quite nice – and the food made it all the better.