“Not Much Open”
Review of Walker Art Center

Walker Art Center
Ranked #28 of 212 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Internationally recognized as a leading arts venue, the Walker Art Center presents contemporary visual arts and design exhibitions; dance, theater, and music performances; and film screenings. The Walker hosts lectures, classes, and events for visitors of all ages with many of today’s leading figures from the worlds of art and culture.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Not Much Open”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I think this would be a great place to see if they didn't have almost all their galleries closed at the same time for installations. We did get to see three installations and the abstract art gallery (which is very small). Most of what we did see was wonderful, but I feel like we missed a lot of amazing art. The Art Center is across the street from the Sculture Garden, which is worth the trip for that alone. Tours of the Sculpture Garden are run from the Art Center periodically, and both the Art Center and the Sculpture Garden are free. It's a nice way to spend a day, but I would call ahead and see what's open before heading out to spend the day at the Art Center.

Columbus, OH
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Sculpture Park”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

There always are multiple exhibitions going on at the Walker Center - so much to see. Going thru the sculpture park is a prue joy. One note, there is much renovation going on right now so check before you go to see what is open.

Englewood, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Our recent trip to the Walker was not worth the drive. Over Labor Day all their main exhibits were inaccessible for maintenance. The traveling exhibits verged on art but, sadly, were not. Why not use the time to display the best local art? Why not at least warn visitors on their website? The good news was there was no admission charge (still had to pay for parking).

Chicago, Ilinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Free admission right now during the repairs”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We visited the Walker on Aug. 27, 2013. It's true that many of the galleries are closed for a while as they repair the building, but to compensate for that, everyone is let in now for FREE. I don't know why another reviewer says he had to pay full admission. We did not. I'd also like to respond to a second reviewer who implies that the sculpture garden has been converted to a mini golf course. I have visited the sculpture garden several times before, and the artist-designed mini golf course does not impinge upon the splendid offerings of the sculpture garden. The course has been set up to the side of the garden, and all the sculptures I saw on earlier visits were on display. Besides, the artist-designed mini golf course is delightful and was a highlight of our trip.
Because I've visited the Walker before, I can say with some assurance that it is a superb museum of contemporary art. Its exhibitions are thoughtful and thought-provoking, original and startling. The juxtapositions it sets up have surprised me and made me like pieces of art that I would have dismissed in other contexts. My opinion is that it's the best contemporary art museum in the U.S.

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've wanted to visit the Walker Art Center for many years. I was very disappointed when half the museum was closed down, including work from their permanent collection that i wanted to see. This includes paintings by Hopper, Mark Rothko, and Chuck Close. I do not understand why a major attraction of Minneapolis would not be exhibiting any of their most famous work during the height of tourist season.

Visited August 2013