“Fantastic Pizza, Great Beer Selection, Don't Overlook the Salads”

Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #66 of 1,833 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Reviewed February 14, 2013

There's a bit of a Pizza arms race going on in Minneapolis. Representing the fast changing North Loop neighborhood (And St. Paul as well) is Black Sheep. The crust is this and tasty without the use of gimmicky seasonings. The oven uses a traditional American Coal fire oven. The beer selection is sure to please those who lean towards hops, and the salads are not an afterthought like many restaurants. My personal favorite is Meatball, Ricotta & Garlic and the seasonal Farmers Market Salad.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I settled on the Black Sheep after some debate. The pizza was incredibly good. We were very pleased by it. We had a simple pepperoni pizza but it was very well done. Their dough, marinara, and cheese created a really wonderful combination. We also really enjoyed the bread with marinara. I would definitely recommend the food.

As for the seating, we were there on a Saturday night about 7pm so we expected it to be busy. If you plan to eat here on a weekend, plan for some long wait times. In our case, we were told that we could wait in the hallway (on the stairwell) and someone would call us. We watched couple after couple called but not us. Finally, I went inside to find out what was happening. I found my name promptly crossed off of the list. I asked the host who replied a little rudely that he had called our name but we didn't respond. He did admit that he didn't walk out into the come hallway but didn't feel that he should have had to do so. We did finally get a table (we rejected sitting at the bar where everyone was putting empty beer glasses) about 10 minutes later. Our server was very good and very personable. The food did arrive promptly, as well.

Overall, it was a great choice. The food was delicious and the service (except the slightly rude host) was very good. I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Have visited on several occasions. After having had pizza in New York, I was spoiled. The flavor and quality of the crust, sauce, cheese, toppings is something that most Pizzarias cannot match.

Enter Black Sheep Pizza. True to the traditions of authentic New York pizza, Black Sheep does more than copy the original. They use the best quality and prepare it well. It's my favorite pizza and will be happy to return again and again.

Make sure you visit Black Sheep Pizza, just be aware you may become addicted as I have :)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

There's nothing like wood-fired pizza! This place is the best. It's located in the warehouse district on north Washington in downtown Minneapolis. The pizza is amazing. Thin, crispy crust and great toppings. We had one with fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, fresh spinach and basil. The other one had Italian meatballs, green pepper and roasted garlic. Really delicious. We even ordered two more the next day delivered to the hotel. Awesome! Try it!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

When entering an unknown (to us) restaurant, we have two criteria. 1. It smells good. 2. There are people eating there. This place fit the bill. We enjoyed our Surly beer and pizza a lot. The wait staff was pleasant. Started to get smokey at one point but it did not keep us from enjoying our food.