“Nice Hotel, Dodgy Neighborhood”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This property is definitely above-average for a Hilton Garden Inn, particularly the lobby which has a fun, hipster vibe. Room furnishings are attractive and contemporary. The staff is ok, not super friendly but professional. The problem is the location. Located next to the Convention Center, it isn’t really safe to walk around at night. Although it would be great to stay at this hotel if attending a convention, I wasn’t. I blame myself, not the hotel, since I should have researched locales more than I did. This Hilton Garden Inn is quiet, comfy, and clean, with great views of downtown. As long as you don’t want a pedestrian-friendly environment, it’s all good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Alice M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am very happy to read how much you like our energetic lobby feel that we aim for! I am sorry to hear however that you did not feel safe in the area of the hotel. The city of Minneapolis has done a lot of very positive work over the past few years to clean up downtown Minneapolis so it is a place that people feel much more safe in and we feel that includes where our hotel is located. We do always have transportation available as well with the town car service that is on property that will take you anyplace downtown for only $7. I certainly hope that you will stay with us again next time you are in town.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

CLEANLINESS? The rooms and hotel is very clean. The staff is so friendly it is amazing. Who trained these folks? They are top notch.

FOOD? The restaurant is decently priced and the breakfast all you can eat - is worth the price ($12.95). It was nice not to have to go out in the cold to find places to eat.

POOL? If you are hoping to relax in a pool this is not the place for you. Your living room is likely larger than the pool. No hot-tub, no sauna. Kids will be disappointed. Little kids may like it enough.

VALET PARKING? Works just fine. Give them 10-15 minutes to retrieve your car. VERY friendly and helpful.

BEDS? Hard as rocks and they are adjustable beds! We are shocked. We turned our beds to "soft" and they still relocated your spine when you sit on them. BUT, strangely enough, when you sleep on them they kinda work. It's just not as bad as it could be I guess.

SPACE? Our room has all the essentials, is clean, pretty, with white white white bed spreads, but it is not very spacious. There is about a 3ft. wide path from the door to the opposite side of the room. We are on the 3rd floor. There is a dog park right outside our window. Fun to watch.

TV? Nothing good. Only 2 kids channels - Cartoon Network and Nick. Blah.

All and all it is a great place. Did I mention how friendly the staff is? :-) I didn't know how much of a big deal that is until I came here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have a cute dog park to watch.
4  Thank 22Travelin
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

22Travelin,

What a great review!!! It is really nice that you took the time to comment on every section of the hotel and I am glad that you had an enjoyable experience with us. I am also really happy to hear you mention how great the staff was twice! We try to create a culture at our hotel where our associates actually do enjoy coming to work and doing what they do every single day. Your positive comments just help the staff reinforce that.

Thank you again for taking the time to put together this very detailed review and we hope you will be back again on your next visit to Minneapolis,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

2 night stay at Hilton Garden, quick in and out with Valet service parking, clean, friendly hotel close to convention center. Good food and drinks, cozy lobby area. Rooms quiet even with a hotel full of cheerleaders! Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunshineCindy

Sunshine Cindy,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel on Trip Advisor! This site is such a great platform for people looking for places to stay when they travel and comments like yours really help people understand our hotel even better.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Minneapolis and please come back soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtwon Minneapolis February 2-3, 2013. This is a comfortable, full service hotel in a wonderful location for a good price. The staff were all extremely helpful and attentive throughout our stay. Our room was comfortable with a great view of the city skyline. Definitely worth considering for anyone needing a hotel in downtown Minneapolis, We will be back the next time we're in Minneapolis!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 9th floor. Loved it!
3  Thank joelh

joelh,

I am happy to hear you had a great time on your trip to Minneapolis earlier this month! We shared your feedback with the staff at both of our daily huddles and they thrilled to hear that they helped make your experience with us a good one. Also, great that you were able to get a corner room so high in the hotel to really enjoy the skyline.

We can't wait to have you return,

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for a convention at the Convention Center, which is right across the street. I'd never stayed here before but I'm glad that I did. We hope to be back when the weather is much warmer next time! Brrrrrr Minnesota is cold in the winter! I especially liked the on-site restaurant for breakfast and fresh coffee in the early mornings.

Room Tip: Wonderful view of the church at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ingy B

Ingy B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel, we really do appreciate you taking the time to do that! Glad to hear how much you enjoyed your trip to Minneapolis despite our cold weather. Our mild summers make the bitter cold winters worth it. Hopefully you can make it back this summer and go to a Twins game or enjoy the Theatre District. By the way, we also love the view of the Church that we have every single day!

Thanks again and hope to see you soon,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I reserved a room at the Hilton for last Saturday night, the 26th. When I arrived, I was told that the smoking room that I had reserved was not available. I wanted to leave but was told that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy. I asked why I would be charged for a room that they did not have. The guy at the front desk said that he would waive the fee and I made other arrangements. The next day I saw a $50 charge on my credit card. When I called to ask about it I was told that they would check about it and called me back. Never got a call, got charged for nothing. They lie. Do NOT expect what is promised on the website when you make a reservation and do not expect anyone to care about you here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andrea H
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Andrea,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not happy with your room assignment during your recent trip. We strive to accommodate all reservations but occasionally cannot meet every room request. I have refunded the late cancellation charge since we did not have a smoking room available for you at arrival.

Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I just wanted to drop a note about a recent stay I had at this hotel. I love customer service and every aspect of this hotel shines with that. From the minute you walk in the door you know that you will be taken care from the valet guys to management. Thank you for making me feel at home. I highly recommend you Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Annette F

Annette,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor, Customer Service is such an important goal for our entire staff it is great to have it appreciated and recognized by guests such as yourself! We can't wait for the next time you come visit us in Minneapolis.

Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis