“Return to the Hilton” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland
“Return to the Hilton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Last year 's review was not very complimentary but this year there was some improvement in the service which is worth mentioning. The interior of the rooms are still showing signs of aging but the housekeeping has definately stepped up. Everything was crisp and clean complete with the folded face cloth with chocolates. There was an outstanding bellman named Michael who was the ultimate professional both in his service and knowledge making excellent recommendations of local restaurants. He was a delight to interact with. The food ,drinks and service in the bar area was outstanding. You should not miss the happy hour special margarita. I cannot say the same for the service in the 25 th floor lounge. The woman who was working in the area for breakfast on several days had the most sour disposition and was most unwelcoming to the guests. She did not smile or have any positive interactions during any of my observations of her either in the breakfast area or at the outside desk. She should stay behind the scenes because she is probably most efficient but does not care for people,especially those who are either very tired or tend to be boisterous. I have no idea what her name is but she had every long red hair that was pulled back.
A happy smiling face is much needed at breakfast.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Weslaco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

This stay was pleasant-only drawback is that they only have one person at the front desk which means if you try calling guest services it will take a while to get through. Housekeeping did a beyond awesome job at tidying up the rooms. Best ever! Probably wouldn't stay again due to the fact it's not connected to the skyway.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank MySistersCloset
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just stayed several nights and this place really was exactly what I like. Close to where I needed to be, safe and easy to get to, clean and neat (I think this hotel is fairly new). Friendly and helpful staff. A restuarant and bar for a place to eat and have a cold one after a hard day's work.

I don't need a pretentious place with a huge lobby. The size of the light fixture in a hotel main lobby does not impress me. I just need a good comfortable room to bathe and sleep in with a desk where I can get some work done. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was all I needed. It had plenty of electrical outlets for the laptop, iphone, ipad, hot spot and so forth. More than I needed which NEVER happens.

Food was good but the selection is limited. 3 nights in a row is about the limit for the same restuarant. Breakfast was good. Courtesy shuttle downtown came in handy a few times. Look for me to return next time I am in Minneapolis.

2 Thank parfourrick
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is likely the closest to the Convention Centre, if you enter by the rear door. It is a good location and very cozy. The staff are friendly and welcoming. They serve coffee/tea and cookies in the evening which is a nice touch. My only complaint is that it is a bit of a walk from the restaurant/shopping area. They do offer a free shuttle bus to the light rail line though - a good bonus!

Very good value compared to the other hotels in the area. Not overly fancy, but very comfortable and home like, with a microwave and fridge in the room. They offer room service which is excellent and very reasonable.

2 Thank 2Kids2TravelWith
Bismarck, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for a Vikings game and to go shopping. When we first got to the hotel it is valet service and you had to pay for parking. I have never used valet service before and I don't care for it. I also was really not impressed that you had to pay for parking. My thought is that I am paying you a lot of money a night to stay there, you could atleast throw in the parking. The staff was friendly and helped us right away. The room was really nice and clean. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was huge. The location is great. We were able to walk to the Metrodome, the Hard Rock and other area places. The room service was decently priced and very good food. I would only stay here again if I got free parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wade S
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Wade,

Thank you for staying with us for a Vikings home game weekend! We find the football fans always to be a nice change of pace from the weekday business traveler. I am sorry that you were not thrilled with our valet parking charge though. We have done everything we can since we opened in 2009 to keep our valet parking costs in line and we are still lower than most other downtown hotels. With that said we are always offering different parking promotional packages that reduces the price of parking so definitely keep a look out for that next time to decide to come to Minneapolis for a game or any other event.

I am glad to hear that the rest of your experience was a positive one at our hotel. We certainly hope to see you again in the future.

Anthony Leitz
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here recently to attend a conference. It was the least expensive of the conference hotels. The staff were always polite and service was really good. My room was clean and super comfortable and had nice amenities. Even the complimentary coffee in the room was good. It was only one block to the convention center and convenient to all of downtown. There was no covered walkway, but all the pluses of this place made the one block walk in the cold just fine. The only drawback was that for breakfast they only have a buffet, which is too much if you just want something small.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SusanDFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a last minute idea, we wanted to spend a quick weekend night away downtown to celebrate both our birthday's. We usually take one weekend a year to explore DT Mpls. and have stayed at various locations downtown, but the Hilton Garden Inn was by far the most satisfying stay we have had.

Aside from the pleasant room and attentive service, the staff provided us with two subtle and unique surprises. Now for those who travel a bit around the world, these may be somewhat mundane, but for us, we were very appreciative of the simplicity and thoughtfullness.

When we checked in, we engaged in the normal conversation at the front desk about where we were from and what our plans were. As part of the conversation, I mentioned we were doing a quick birthday celebration night away (mine is October my wife is November). We were promptly provided with several ideas for dinner, entertainment etc which we found engaging and helpful.

We actually decided to have an early quick bite in the hotel restaurant before heading out. Again in causal conversation with our server we mentioned the birthdays. Lo and behold, when we completed our dinner, she brought us both a little birthday dessert. I know...nothing earth shattering, but in my book it is the little subtle touches that make my day.

Finally, when we returned for the evening, what do we find in our room but a nice note saying happy birthday and a serving of chocolate covered strawberries. Again, it was the fact that it was a subtle touch that really made a big impression on us.

Thank you to all the staff. We will certainly look to do this again when we have another get away planned.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank deejay92
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
deejay92,

I am so happy to hear how helpful our staff was in helping you and your wife had an enjoyable birthday weekend in Minneapolis! We really try to engage with our guests to make sure that every experience at our hotel is an enjoyable one.

I want to thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn and sharing your thoughts with everybody on TripAdvisor. Comments like yours are what help us maintain our #1 ranking in Minneapolis. We hope that you will be back to the hotel next year for your birthday trip if not sooner.

Anthony Leitz