“Excellent Downtown MN Hotel, Not Pretentious”

Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Excellent Downtown MN Hotel, Not Pretentious”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just stayed several nights and this place really was exactly what I like. Close to where I needed to be, safe and easy to get to, clean and neat (I think this hotel is fairly new). Friendly and helpful staff. A restuarant and bar for a place to eat and have a cold one after a hard day's work.

I don't need a pretentious place with a huge lobby. The size of the light fixture in a hotel main lobby does not impress me. I just need a good comfortable room to bathe and sleep in with a desk where I can get some work done. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was all I needed. It had plenty of electrical outlets for the laptop, iphone, ipad, hot spot and so forth. More than I needed which NEVER happens.

Food was good but the selection is limited. 3 nights in a row is about the limit for the same restuarant. Breakfast was good. Courtesy shuttle downtown came in handy a few times. Look for me to return next time I am in Minneapolis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank parfourrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Toronto
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is likely the closest to the Convention Centre, if you enter by the rear door. It is a good location and very cozy. The staff are friendly and welcoming. They serve coffee/tea and cookies in the evening which is a nice touch. My only complaint is that it is a bit of a walk from the restaurant/shopping area. They do offer a free shuttle bus to the light rail line though - a good bonus!

Very good value compared to the other hotels in the area. Not overly fancy, but very comfortable and home like, with a microwave and fridge in the room. They offer room service which is excellent and very reasonable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 2Kids2TravelWith
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for a Vikings game and to go shopping. When we first got to the hotel it is valet service and you had to pay for parking. I have never used valet service before and I don't care for it. I also was really not impressed that you had to pay for parking. My thought is that I am paying you a lot of money a night to stay there, you could atleast throw in the parking. The staff was friendly and helped us right away. The room was really nice and clean. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was huge. The location is great. We were able to walk to the Metrodome, the Hard Rock and other area places. The room service was decently priced and very good food. I would only stay here again if I got free parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wade S
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Wade,

Thank you for staying with us for a Vikings home game weekend! We find the football fans always to be a nice change of pace from the weekday business traveler. I am sorry that you were not thrilled with our valet parking charge though. We have done everything we can since we opened in 2009 to keep our valet parking costs in line and we are still lower than most other downtown hotels. With that said we are always offering different parking promotional packages that reduces the price of parking so definitely keep a look out for that next time to decide to come to Minneapolis for a game or any other event.

I am glad to hear that the rest of your experience was a positive one at our hotel. We certainly hope to see you again in the future.

DFW
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here recently to attend a conference. It was the least expensive of the conference hotels. The staff were always polite and service was really good. My room was clean and super comfortable and had nice amenities. Even the complimentary coffee in the room was good. It was only one block to the convention center and convenient to all of downtown. There was no covered walkway, but all the pluses of this place made the one block walk in the cold just fine. The only drawback was that for breakfast they only have a buffet, which is too much if you just want something small.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SusanDFW
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a last minute idea, we wanted to spend a quick weekend night away downtown to celebrate both our birthday's. We usually take one weekend a year to explore DT Mpls. and have stayed at various locations downtown, but the Hilton Garden Inn was by far the most satisfying stay we have had.

Aside from the pleasant room and attentive service, the staff provided us with two subtle and unique surprises. Now for those who travel a bit around the world, these may be somewhat mundane, but for us, we were very appreciative of the simplicity and thoughtfullness.

When we checked in, we engaged in the normal conversation at the front desk about where we were from and what our plans were. As part of the conversation, I mentioned we were doing a quick birthday celebration night away (mine is October my wife is November). We were promptly provided with several ideas for dinner, entertainment etc which we found engaging and helpful.

We actually decided to have an early quick bite in the hotel restaurant before heading out. Again in causal conversation with our server we mentioned the birthdays. Lo and behold, when we completed our dinner, she brought us both a little birthday dessert. I know...nothing earth shattering, but in my book it is the little subtle touches that make my day.

Finally, when we returned for the evening, what do we find in our room but a nice note saying happy birthday and a serving of chocolate covered strawberries. Again, it was the fact that it was a subtle touch that really made a big impression on us.

Thank you to all the staff. We will certainly look to do this again when we have another get away planned.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank deejay92
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
deejay92,

I am so happy to hear how helpful our staff was in helping you and your wife had an enjoyable birthday weekend in Minneapolis! We really try to engage with our guests to make sure that every experience at our hotel is an enjoyable one.

I want to thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn and sharing your thoughts with everybody on TripAdvisor. Comments like yours are what help us maintain our #1 ranking in Minneapolis. We hope that you will be back to the hotel next year for your birthday trip if not sooner.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for a trade show at the convention center. Just 1 block away. A little tricky to find the entrance but worth the search. Note that no parking except valet. If that is important, there is a public garage nearby.

The hotel itself and more importantly the staff are awesome. I arrived early but they prepared a room by 1:30pm. Great because I had to run back for a con call with a client mid afternoon.

I observed a staff meeting in the restaurant when checking in. This place runs well because it is managed well. It was obvious just o serving this meeting. When I came back later to get my room and attend my call, there was another meeting going on. Being interested, I observed this as well. Whoever the manager is should be tagged as a rising star. He really is cultivating a killer team.

In short, my actual stay was great and it is certainly the result of good teamwork. Bar service, valet, room service, check in and cleanliness were all exceptional.

I stay with this chain frequently and can say without a doubt this was the best run location I have ever experienced.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Grrw
Grww,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to stay at while in Minneapolis and for posting such a positive review of your experience with us! We have staff meetings twice every day and I am so glad that you had a chance to observe both of them on the same day. We have actually shared your comments at the last few daily "huddles" and the staff thinks that it is so great that a guest saw them in action and it raised the level of enthusiasm even more!

Thank you again for posting these comments as this is what makes our jobs so enjoyable.

Atlanta
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel was chosen because it is near the convention center and because of all the great reviews. That said, there is no covered walkway to the convention center, so if that is important, you may want to consider the Hilton or the Ivey. Everyone was very friendly at the hotel. The room was what I expected. The hotel is near the highway, but the noise was not a bother. I had a corner king, and it was everything I needed. I've been having a hard time hanging on to my cell phone lately. This time, I left it in a chair in the lobby. By the time I got to the front desk, they had already put it away for me. The 12.95 breakfast is very similar to the free breakfasts you would get elsewhere except for the cooked to order items, which are nice. I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ATLcruiser
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
ATLcruiser,

Thank you for the positive recommendation for the Hilton Garden Inn! Our staff really takes pride in being the #1 hotel in Minneapolis on TripAdvisor and comments like yours just keep us all motivated to keep pushing hard. As for your comments about the covered walkway we are always willing to take guests to the conference center in our hotel shuttle if the weather is bad or if the guest happens to have some supplies with them. Thanks again and we hope to see you again in the future!