“Good...but Poor TV During Storms”
Review of Hilton Minneapolis

Hilton Minneapolis
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Good...but Poor TV During Storms”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I am in Minneapolis for work. The Hilton has been quite good....with the exception of when there is a storm (heavy rain right now) their TV system does not work. I was watching a great movie on HBO and when the rain came, the tv reception was lost. This is due to them having direct TV through satellite. What a bummer to miss the second half of a movie.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HiltonMinneapolis, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and bringing the TV Reception to our attention. I will personally present this issue to my staff in effort to find a solution during poor weather. We value your feedback as it helps us enhance guest's experiences. Again, thank you for your review. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Minneapolis.

John E. Luke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Forest City, Iowa
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed here for one night during a visit to Northern Iowa. We traveled by bus from Pittsburgh PA with out two children. We arrived at 7:30am and about two hours prior to arrival I called the hotel to see if we could get an early check in. The hotel was sold out the evening prior and no rooms were available. But the desk clerk arranged for us to have access to a parlor room so that we could freshen up.

We had to travel to Northern Iowa during the day and when we got back to the hotel our luggage had been transferred to another room and all was simply perfect. This hotel truly knows the meaning of the word hospitality. Every single hotel employee that we encountered was super friendly. All I can say is that Conrad Hilton would be very proud of this hotel. Thanks for a job well done to the staff of the Hilton Minneapolis.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Keith H
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and for your thoughtful comments! We encourage our staff to go above and beyond for our guests so I was thrilled to hear that they were able to make accomodations for you despite being sold out. I will personally share your experience with our Director of Front Office and team. Again, thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Minneapolis.

Thousand Oaks, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel is clean and the staff are very, very helpful. I wanted to grab breakfast without disturbing my roommate so I went down to the buffet and the manager offered to create a to-go package that I could take back to my roommate. He was incredibly friendly and helpful - all the staff were. This was a very nice experience. My only suggestion for improvement is to switch out the elliptical machines in the gym for ones with a longer stride and resistance control. The current ones put you right up against the bars and only have incline control. They are very uncomfortable, but there is sufficient other equipment and an amazing sauna.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonMinneapolis, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I was pleased to read that you found our staff helpful and accomodating to your needs and requests. It was very nice of you to take breakfast to-go back to your roommate and I'm glad we could help! I will share your experience with our Director of Food & Beverage. We will also take your suggestion for exercise equipment into further consideration. Thank you again for this review, we value your comments.

Chicago, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is a great hotel to hold a conference in. The food provided of meals and breaks was fresh and a nice variety was offered. The location is near downtown dining. April was not a great time to visit the city. There was little sign of spring and is actually snowed. It's a good thing that the hotel was pleasant and near downtown dining. Some never left the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our vast meeting space and that we were able to create a nice experience for you despite the unpleasant weather. We too find our location to be convenient on the colder days! Thank you again for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back.

NY
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The initial impression of the Junior Suite at the Hilton Minneapolis is one of impressive spaciousness. It opens up with a sitting area in one half, and a bed and desk in the other. Two large windows look out onto Minneapolis, where a grand view of the Foshay Tower catches the afternoon sunlight. At first glance, it seems lovely, until a bit of dark green on the top of the couch catches your eye. I thought it was a ribbon or a bit of raffia from a gift, but upon closer inspection it turns out to be a dried and desiccated bit of broccoli. Oh well, maybe someone got drunk, ordered room service, and threw some food around. There have been worse things found in hotel rooms, some of which were probably left by me. I picked up the stiff veggie with a tissue and threw it out. Later on, another dried bit of broccoli was found next to the bedside table, way across the room from the couch. What kind of crazed broccoli rampage went on here?
Whatever the case, and whatever occasioned the broccoli to be subsequently missed by the trained eyes of housekeeping, it takes more than a couple of vegetables to ruin a hotel experience, which had begun rather well with my check-in. A warmly-wood-paneled lobby rises high in the lobby, at the entry of which stood several helpful hoppers who would gamely chat about the weather and flag down a taxi or town car on a moment’s notice.
The hotel itself had the standard supplies of fluffy towels, soaps and shampoos, as well as a fitness center, sauna, hot tub, and pool. It was the food that was the sticking point. I don’t usually bother with room service, mostly for the exorbitant nature and less-than-stellar quality, but sometimes it’s nice to splurge and have breakfast in bed. I found the convenient menu and order form on the back of the door, checked off the boxes beside lemon pancakes (sounded interesting) and green tea, then left it on the door before I went to sleep.
Dreams of breakfast in bed and lazy revelries of light, lemon-tinged pancakes were dashed and rudely interrupted when an unexpected (and unwanted) wake-up call broke the spell. It came an hour prior to the scheduled time I’d indicated on the order form for room service, so that was less than ideal, and on the other end was a woman apologizing for waking me. She explained that I had used an old menu that was no longer in effect. I explained that I had used the menu that was left on the door. She said they no longer had the lemon pancakes, offering me blueberry pancakes or red velvet pancakes with a cream cheese filling. I love sweet things as much as the next person, but red velvet pancakes seemed a bit much, so I opted for the blueberry ones. She graciously took the new order and said it should be up at the requested time. I thanked her and went back to bed for a bit.
When the order arrived, the gentlemen apologized for the mix-up, as well as for the fact that they didn’t have the tea I wanted, but substituted Earl Grey instead. It wasn’t his fault, so I thanked him and he left. Upon lifting the cover to the pancakes, there sat a stack of red velvet flap-jacks, interspersed with a weird creamy filling. Was there anything on the tray that I ordered? (I finally figured out the deal with the broccoli strewn around the room: someone had ordered carrots.)
After a quick call to room service, and the anti-thesis of a peaceful breakfast-in-bed, they brought up a new order of pancakes – blueberry – that were serviceable (and I wasn’t about to question anything else anyway.)
Aside from the food snafus, the Hilton provided adequate service. Housekeeping was efficient and friendly (even if they did bring an extra towel instead of the requested bathrobe.) It seems the hotel relies on friendliness and forgiveness in place of precise execution, which is fine with me; more exacting clients may have difficulty here.

Room Tip: Examine for errant broccoli upon arrival
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Alan I
HiltonMinneapolis, Director of Housekeeping at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
I apologize for the lack of cleanliness and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We pride ourselves on the quality of our hotel and take your comments very seriously. Rest assure we will be reviewing your experiences with the team. Please know that your comments will also be reviewed with our Director of Food & Beverage so that we may improve our In Room Dining service.
Please feel free to contact me directly at 612-397-4814 as I would like to verbally apologize and thank you for comments.

Dan Truniger
Director of Housekeeping
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I could not have been more pleased. The check-in was great and a good sign for things to come. my diamond upgrade was set before I checked in and was waiting. wow. everyone did their very best to ensure my stay was great. thanks

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review! I'm glad we were able to get you checked in smoothly with a pre-arranged upgrade. I will pass your comments on to our Director of Front Office and the team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit.

Hudson, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2014

These people go out of their way to make you happy and to make sure you have everything you need. I had forgot some toiletries and they made sure I had them right away. I wanted to bring home something from Minnesota for my granddaughter and they had no problem taking me to the store, at night, before they closed. I was there for a business trip and didn't have the need to rent a car as I would be in meetings all day. It was a most pleasant stay there. And a big thank you to Gradient brokerage for making those arrangements for me.
Oh I forgot to mention, they have a wonderful breakfast every morning.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. However, I did enjoy looking out the window and seeing snow o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Wow! This is the type of review I love to read. Thank you for taking the time to write it! We always encourage our employees to go above and beyond for our guests so I was so happy to hear that you felt our team members went out of their way to make you happy. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back.