TripAdvisor
Minneapolis
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews weisman art museum home away from home guest house twin cities walking distance hosts researchers university cereal
Selected filters
Reviewed December 10, 2017

We have words to thank for our stay at Wales house. The house is very clean, quite and organized, the room was great, the restrooms and kitchen are clean every day, organic breakfast, the location is perfect, close to downtown and University and the neighborhood is very safe and lively.

Although the house is located in a quite and beautiful street, in 2-3 minutes walking, there are lots of shops, a Target (supermarket and pharmacy), pubs, restaurants, a library, bus stops (one of them is free to get any place in the University, both in Minneapolis and St. Paul Campuses).

But aside from all these things, the heart of the house is Kelly and Julie, the hosts. They are very good and friendly people, flexible, always ready to help you with anything. Kelly is awesome organizing great excursions around Minneapolis and Minnesota. I had a travel guide but Kelly was much better.

Do not doubt if you are looking for the best. You will feel like at home!

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emilio S
Reviewed December 9, 2017

This is not just a beautiful old house. It is so much more... Staying at The Wales House is an "experience", and if you are looking for homeyness and charm and conversation, and life stories, and camaraderie, and independence, and the chance to spread out, then stay in this place. Everything about the Wales House was amazing. My room, with the quilted bedspread and the eclectic furnishings, and the quaint wood floors, and the huge old fashioned radiators, and Sophie the mellow doggie, and the colorful conversations with other guests who choose this place for its warm and homey feeling.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank 2togetherBA
Reviewed May 29, 2017

Everything about this place was perfect for my academic and social visits to Minneapolis. The house feels like home, the neighborhood is beautiful and a nice walk from UMN. I enjoy doing work in the family room and adjacent study on days when I can work from home or in the evenings. I often have friends and colleagues over to visit and we cook lunch or dinner in the nice Wales House kitchen. The hosts Kelly and Julie Carver will take care that all is well with your stay, and they are interesting and kind people to get to know. I have often found myself calling the Wales House "home" in conversations.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank spshipman
Reviewed October 2, 2016

My room was cozy and not fancy, perfect! I reserved a room with a private bath and was very happy. Plenty of closet and dresser space and clean. They have a big communal kitchen area and every room gets a space in the fridge and a cupboard. Great for a quick snack or to store leftovers. I wouldn't cook a big meal but for easy simple eating it works well. Very walkable part of town. The hosts are available in person or phone to help with your comfort. You can walk to downtown or catch a bus pretty easily.
You are in the university area so expect student noise. Earplugs were provided! I slept well and liked the aliveness of the neighborhood.
Be prepared for the removal of shoes by the front door. Bring slippers. Cubbies for street shoes are provided. It's just like home.

Room tip: If it's in your budget get a room with its own bathroom. My bathtub was great!
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Patricia T
Reviewed September 24, 2016

I enjoy old houses and engaging in the community when I vacation. The Wales House offered both of these desires. Our room shared a standard bathroom with two other guest rooms, though there are rooms with their own bathroom. Our guest room had a queen-size bed, night stand, dresser, desk, bookcase, lamps & ceiling light/fan. In all shared spaces there were reserved areas for each guest room number. The house is a block from restaurants, Target Express; 3 blocks from the University of Minnesota, a half mile from the light rail. With buses, sky walks and bike rentals galore it is easy to get around without a car. We didn't have a car and were able to go to see Chelsea soccer, Twins baseball, St. Paul museum, kayaking at one of the lakes, the Mall of America and to and from the airport. I enjoyed the whole experience and would do it all again.

Date of stay: August 2016