All reviews weisman art museum other guests guest house place to stay twin cities carver hosts university academic researchers radiator supermarket cereal target
Reviewed October 2, 2016

My room was cozy and not fancy, perfect! I reserved a room with a private bath and was very happy. Plenty of closet and dresser space and clean. They have a big communal kitchen area and every room gets a space in the fridge and a cupboard. Great for a quick snack or to store leftovers. I wouldn't cook a big meal but for easy simple eating it works well. Very walkable part of town. The hosts are available in person or phone to help with your comfort. You can walk to downtown or catch a bus pretty easily.
You are in the university area so expect student noise. Earplugs were provided! I slept well and liked the aliveness of the neighborhood.
Be prepared for the removal of shoes by the front door. Bring slippers. Cubbies for street shoes are provided. It's just like home.

Room Tip: If it's in your budget get a room with its own bathroom. My bathtub was great!
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank Patricia T
Reviewed September 24, 2016

I enjoy old houses and engaging in the community when I vacation. The Wales House offered both of these desires. Our room shared a standard bathroom with two other guest rooms, though there are rooms with their own bathroom. Our guest room had a queen-size bed, night stand, dresser, desk, bookcase, lamps & ceiling light/fan. In all shared spaces there were reserved areas for each guest room number. The house is a block from restaurants, Target Express; 3 blocks from the University of Minnesota, a half mile from the light rail. With buses, sky walks and bike rentals galore it is easy to get around without a car. We didn't have a car and were able to go to see Chelsea soccer, Twins baseball, St. Paul museum, kayaking at one of the lakes, the Mall of America and to and from the airport. I enjoyed the whole experience and would do it all again.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2016

My husband and I went to Minneapolis over the summer to do professional development at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. We decided to stay at the Wales House as it was listed as one of the hotel/housing options in the program brochure and it's only about a 10 minute walk to the East Bank section of the University. Every time we go back to Minneapolis for business (or for pleasure) we will definitely try our hardest to stay at the Wales House. The owners, Kelly and Julie are extremely gracious, welcoming and helpful. They know the area very well and happily gave us suggestions of places to eat and things to do when we were not working. Our room (with ensuite shower) was a great deal and very comfortable. The common living areas (including a full kitchen w/anything you would need is available for guests to use) were always clean and welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ensuite bathroom, unless you want to pay less and share.
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2016

I stayed here while helping to move my daughter into her apartment at the start of grad school. The home is a clean, well-kept, restoration-in-progress former fraternity house. It's located among a bunch of Greek houses lining both sides of the street. During my stay in early August the neighborhood was perfectly quiet. I didn't hear a thing except for the squirrels collecting nuts outside my window. The host, Kelly, does a great job of walking through and explaining the house. There are lots of common areas for guest use. I didn't stay long enough to get good use of all the amenities, but the place is homey and I can imagine an extended stay would be really nice. There are five guest parking spaces behind the house, which is very convenient. The air conditioning was welcome! Downstairs there are two sparkling clean washer and dryer sets for guest use, a really nice feature. One of the best advantages of Wales House is the location. It's a very short walk to Dinky Town, where you can find a Target and lots of restaurants. It's a longer walk to campus, but not impossible. I would recommend Wales House for someone wanting a quiet, neighborhood place to stay convenient to the school but a little outside the fray.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank dmresource
Reviewed July 22, 2016

I have travelled to Minneapolis quite often during the last 5 years to visit the university. In this time, I have stayed in a number of different places and Wales House is by far the best! The house is extremely spacious, comfortable and clean. Julie and Kelly (the owners) are really great, friendly people. In addition to the bedrooms, the house has several very nice communal areas, and it's always nice to chat to fellow guests around the breakfast table or in the kitchen. The house is well located, close to Dinkytown and the university, on a really nice, quiet, tree-lined street. Now, whenever I visit Minneapolis, I always stay here, and if they can't fit me in, then I adjust my dates to when they do have space. It really is a home away from home. and every time I stay it is a real pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled on business