University Inn
$165
LeMeridien.com
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$114
$133
$116
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssmall kitchengreat locationdinky townlaundry facilitiesextended stayroom was cleanfull kitchencollege visitsmall hotelum campuswithin walking distancetwin citiesgreat place to stayfree wifithe stone arch bridgecoffee machinestaff was very friendly and helpful
Reviewed June 30, 2014

While the exterior could definitely use an upgrade, my stay was rather comfortable. The location was convenient to University of Minnesota. The front desk staff was very helpful about routes to campus, Dinkytown, and nearby grocers. Apparently, it's not too far from downtown Minneapolis either. I appreciated the free internet connection and the convenience of having a full size fridge and various kitchen amenities--which helped to have things on hand for those late evening cravings and stay on budget. The metro bus stops immediately across the street. So, I was able to travel from the airport to the hotel about $2 (train and bus combo)! It's convenient to the interstate and an easy walk to the university. You're not too far from the metro green line either. I would consider staying again.

The exterior could use a bit of curb appeal. When i first saw the building, I was a bit weary. It just looked dull and uninviting. It could definitely use a paint job and perhaps some colorful low plants or shrubs. You have a clear view of the building's corner, so one may think of it as a safety measure However, it definitely needs something to spruce up the exterior..

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
University_Inn_MN, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Hi Rosie H,

Thank you for taking time to write an excellent, detailed review! I agree with you that our hotel's exterior could use some dressing up - this is something the hotel's new owners are working on with the City, so I'm hopeful we can proceed with some upgrades soon. I'm glad you found our location and amenities convenient for your visit to the University of Minnesota, and we always love hearing that our staff was friendly!

Thanks again,

Reviewed June 27, 2014

It does not look like your average hotel from the outside, but I was quite happy with my room and the service. It's a small hotel and that's ok. The front desk staff were wonderful and very helpful with information about the University and getting on the right bus, with us being newbies to the area. The room was clean and I loved the kitchenette (able to heat up my left over dinner the next day, make coffee and just relax. Our daughter will be starting school there this Fall, and when we come to visit, this is definitely where we'll be staying. Thanks University Inn for a very nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
University_Inn_MN, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Hello E F,

You're welcome and thank you so much for your very nice review! I'm glad you found our hotel convenient for your stay, and I'm constantly reminded by comments like yours how great our team is here. We love our location near both Downtown Minneapolis and the University of Minnesota, and everyone at our font desk enjoys playing the tour guide. We're looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I liked the location, the appearance, the size of the hotel, the size of the room, the price, especially the cappuccino machine, the friendly desk staff. It was recommended by my daughter, who lives nearby, and I would definitely stay here again. In fact, it has changed my standard of what to look for in a hotel.

Room Tip: We liked the big Gingko tree fight outside our window of 214. We never heard anyone else.
1  Thank Davavd
University_Inn_MN, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Hello Davavd,

Wow, what a nice review, thank you so much! I'm glad you found our staff friendly and our location convenient. Our gourmet coffee machine in the lobby is a recent addition so I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Please pass our thanks on to your daughter for recommending us!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Loved this hotel! It was clean and comfortable and is within easy walking distance to the U of MN. It reminded my husband and I of the dorms we lived in in college. The staff were very friendly, rooms are clean and free parking is a great bonus. Excellent coffee in the lobby. Full size fridge and a kitchenette were nice bonuses and a great way to save money. We plan to stay here frequently as we have a child attending the university.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
University_Inn_MN, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hello A H,

Thank you for your compliments, we really appreciate the time you took to tell others about our hotel. The free gourmet coffee in the lobby is a pretty recent addition, so I'm really pleased you enjoyed it. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

My sister and I stayed at University Inn for about a week while taking care of family matters. We now live on the West Coast but grew up in Mpls./St. Paul. I am glad that the places I tried to book nearby our family home were all booked because I found this place which we will return to in future trips. Before I checked in I wondered whether it might be noisy as a campus place near the freeway but our room was absolutely quiet. The Inn is very homey, the desk staff are so friendly and helpful, the room is clean, the beds very comfortable and the kitchenette had a large refrigerator. Moreover the location is prime, minutes from Dinkytown and the U of M, and also not far from downtown Minneapoolis. I also think the price was very reasonable for two queen beds with a kitchenette and a huge TV. I highly recommend the University Inn and I am not relation to the management. : )

Room Tip: We stayed on the main floor towards the back from the desk. Maybe that is why it was so quiet but I think it is a quiet place generally.
1  Thank marzipan43

Hello marzipan43,

Wow! Thank you so much for a great review! I'm really proud of the team here, and I can't wait to share your kind comments with them. I'm glad you found our hotel comfortable and convenient, we look forward to your next visit!